JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Call it Al Capone's final haul. A trove of family mementos, jewelry and weapons that were once owned by the notorious gangster will be auctioned off by his three surviving granddaughters, who lived in relative obscurity until they emerged in 2019.

The collection, which includes Capone's "favorite" gun (a Colt .45 pistol starting at $50,000), a Patek Philippe pocket watch monogrammed with 90 diamonds, and personal letters is estimated to sell for $700,000, by luxury asset auctioneer Witherell's, based in Sacramento, which revealed the catalog today. Timothy Gordon, of PBS's "Antiques Roadshow," appraised the items.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/al-cap...rjjx1ypmvk6&reflink=desktopwebshare_permalink

Screen Shot 2021-08-24 at 3.36.04 PM.png

Call it Al Capone's final haul. A trove of family mementos, jewelry and weapons that were once owned by the notorious gangster will be auctioned off by his three surviving granddaughters, who lived in relative obscurity until they emerged in 2019.

The collection, which includes Capone's "favorite" gun (a Colt .45 pistol starting at $50,000), a Patek Philippe pocket watch monogrammed with 90 diamonds, and personal letters is estimated to sell for $700,000, by luxury asset auctioneer Witherell's, based in Sacramento, which revealed the catalog today. Timothy Gordon, of PBS's "Antiques Roadshow," appraised the items.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/al-cap...rjjx1ypmvk6&reflink=desktopwebshare_permalink

View attachment 1018391

Man, that is a wide trigger shoe.

View attachment 1018391
That Gun Is Amazing!!

Frankly, I'd want evidence that it actually was his. I wouldn't put down 50 grand just because some old ladies said their famous granddad liked it.

I remodeled the kitchen of a lady who was a direct descendant of Wild Bill Hickok.
I asked if she had any of Wild Bills firearms and she said that her brother had them and they were being passed on to male heirs only.
Sure would have been cool to handle some of his guns.

View attachment 1018391
Turns out they were all in Jimmy Hoffa's secret vault.

I must be the outlier. I don't understand how gun owners can get all giddy about the gun owned by a murderous criminal who is pretty much responsible for NFA '34.
Ever seen how much Nazi marked firearms sell for? Has nothing to do with who owned the firearm or any other piece of memorabilia. It's the history. What makes a 1911 made in that time frame worth that much more is how many there are to be had. This pistol will of course not shoot any better than one you could buy for $600 but, its a "one of a kind" so collectors will bid it up very high just to have it. Does not mean anyone who buys it will feel "support" for the criminal who owned it. :s0092:

Didn't the guy who shot trayvon sell his gun? Imagine if you could buy Lee Harvey Oswald's rifle. Or John wilkes Booth's pistol. I don't imagine a lot of people have support for presidential assassins..... Lots of history all the same

Ever seen how much Nazi marked firearms sell for? Has nothing to do with who owned the firearm or any other piece of memorabilia. It's the history. What makes a 1911 made in that time frame worth that much more is how many there are to be had. This pistol will of course not shoot any better than one you could buy for $600 but, its a "one of a kind" so collectors will bid it up very high just to have it. Does not mean anyone who buys it will feel "support" for the criminal who owned it. :s0092:
My point wasn't just about the history behind it, but they specific history that pretty much began the modern implementation of gun control in this country. (Yes, I understand there were gun laws before this, ect. I don't need anyone to start running down the internet-argument manual of arms on me.)

But when we're specifically constantly bubbleguming about gun laws as a group, celebrating the possessions of one of the murderous criminal and his ilk seems a bit hypocritical.

Just seems odd for gun hobbyists to be all giddy about this gun to me.

(I also don't understand the fascination with Nazi crap either, so there's that.)

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top