JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Looking for suggestions on a new 12ga. shotgun. This will be for tough bird work, Mainly goose hunting. It absolutely has to take 3 1/2" shells. I want a good reliable WORKING gun and would like to spend under 500 bones. I like pump action and semi auto guns. I don't need anything "Tactical" or with Tacticool dingleberrys on it, Just a good value in a shotgun that will be used and probably abused from time to time. Wood or synthetic is good by me too.
FWIW,
Right now number one on the list is a Benelli Supernova.

Last Edited:
Dang, that's a tall order!
I was going to suggest the Marlin Goose Gun Model 55 with the 36" barrel, but the 12 ga only takes 3" shells, and I saw there was also the Model 5510 SuperGoose chambered for the 10-gauge (3½") cartridge, but that's a 10 ga.

Of course, I happen to like those old bolt action shotguns. ;)

I'd put some consideration to a Stoeger, just as an option. They are a real workhorse and could save you some cash, and when it comes to durability, a lot of people swear by them. Post up whatever you decide to go with!

I second Stoeger, I have a M3500 and it been a great gun. I have nicer shotguns but the M3500 is the one a seem to always grab for the field. For the money it's really good.

870. It's the AK of the shotgun world. When the Avery boys came out with the outdoor channel a few years back, only us local folks with 870's were left shooting in the freezing rain.

I picked up a mossberg 835 ulti mag, with 28 inch overbored and ported barrel a while ago and I am very happy with it. Takes the 3 1/2 inch shells and what a kick, I'm gonna slip a pad on the buttstock for extra cushion when shooting them.

<broken link removed>

I've never shot a 3-1/2 mag.

But I've killed a ton of Honkers around Klamath with a 3" 870 Wingmaster with a 30" FC barrel.
After the switch to steel things actually improved as velocities came up, and I learned to shoot from behind using T shot.
Not a lot of cripples along the way either.

I've never shot a 3-1/2 mag.

But I've killed a ton of Honkers around Klamath with a 3" 870 Wingmaster with a 30" FC barrel.
After the switch to steel things actually improved as velocities came up, and I learned to shoot from behind using T shot.
Not a lot of cripples along the way either.

I have to get something that will take 3.5's, It's the only self rationalization reasoning I can come up with to get a new "goose" specific shotgun and purchase another gun this close to tax time and Christmas. I have half a dozen other 12's in the safe.

Benelli SBE II
http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/ben...-benelli-firearms-c-9935_13769_6057_6068.html
Oh you said UNDER $500?
I have had 1 Stoger and it lasted about a week before I got rid of it.The fit and finish was terible.Maybe they have started making them better but the ones I have seen weren't worth buying when for a few $$ more you can get a Mossy or a 870
I suck bad ,in the heat of hunting,with a pump.i do have the SBE II and it is a piece for sure,but it also costs around $1700 now.
But buy once cry once?

Today I went and looked at...

1. Benelli SuperNova and Nova

2. Remington 887

3. Remington 870 (express something)

4. Winchester SXP Blackshadow

5. Browning BPS (Medallion)

6. Stoger 3500 auto

I'm glad I did too.... I just knew I was going to love and purchase a SuperNova and I really didn't like some things about it.

I did end up REALLY-REALLY liking the Winchester the best, It was dead last on my "going to love it" list. For the money it was the best one for balanced, fit finish and natural shouldering and pointing.

I also liked the 887 more than I thought I would, Maybe I finally found something that I have cheap taste for... Could it be?

I will give Mossberg a fair look too before I purchase.

Read the Chuck Hawks site and find out why you don't want a 10 gauge OR a 3 1/2" 12 gauge.

Think outside the box and start your shotgun search with a new mindset. By looking for a good 3" gun, you'll have a lot more to choose from, cheaper ammo and save a lot of money on the gun.

3 1/2" just HAS to be better, right? No it isn't.

The OP said he didn't want tacticool. 3 1/2" is over-hyped tacticool and easy to get sucked into. 10 ga is worse yet.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/kill_3half_12gauge.htm

I really like my 835 mossberg i have some 3.5" 00 buck but have never built up the nerve to try them. My 835 is real well balanced and swings real smooth

Read the Chuck Hawks site and find out why you don't want a 10 gauge OR a 3 1/2" 12 gauge.

Think outside the box and start your shotgun search with a new mindset. By looking for a good 3" gun, you'll have a lot more to choose from, cheaper ammo and save a lot of money on the gun.

The OP said he didn't want tacticool. 3 1/2" is over-hyped tacticool and easy to get sucked into. 10 ga is worse yet.

This article was interesting but opinion based and compared lead to steel often. I don't have a choice about that with waterfoul hunting but if I get a gun that takes 3.5's I have the option too shoot 3" also. To me it's a win-win. There's plenty of 3.5's on the market too choose from too so I really don't understand what the author was trying to accomplish except maybe selling some shells for his "preferred" brand.

BTW, I ordered a couple Winchester SXP and have a Benelli to try this next season.

I have an old Winchester model 1200 got a 100$ in the gun spent 50$ to have a custom choke pressed and glued in and I can shoot 2 3/4 out of it but anything from low brass to 00buck will keep almost every bit of shot on a 6x6 card at 30 yards

This article was interesting but opinion based and compared lead to steel often. I don't have a choice about that with waterfoul hunting but if I get a gun that takes 3.5's I have the option too shoot 3" also. To me it's a win-win. There's plenty of 3.5's on the market too choose from too so I really don't understand what the author was trying to accomplish except maybe selling some shells for his "preferred" brand.

BTW, I ordered a couple Winchester SXP and have a Benelli to try this next season.

"The Takeaway: I expected the 31⁄2 to string out longer and pattern worse than the 3-inch load, but it patterned just as well. The higher pellet count of the 31⁄2-inch resulted in significantly more hits in the circle, but both loads put enough hits on target to kill geese.

However, the improvement in performance comes at a cost of a whopping 50 percent increase in recoil. Even with a gun seated in a massive rest, I could feel the difference, and the muzzle blast was noticeably louder in the test tunnel, too. I shot some of those same 31⁄2-inch shells while trying to shoot a triple on a five-stand range. I could hit the first target always, but recovering from the shot to make the next two was almost impossible."

Field and Stream

http://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/hunting/2013/08/truth-about-shogun-ammo

This should do the trick.
Up for sale on Gun Broker for only $140.00

Description for Item # 452983386
View attachment 113864
Marlin 55 Goose gun, 12 ga 3" mag, 36" full choke. Little used,nice shape, minor dings and scratches only. Bright shiny bore. No modifications, stock LOP is 14". Goose season is here, reach out there and get yours! Sales to CA are no problem. 3% for credit cards. 7.5% sales tax for CA residents.
pix076272674.jpg

I'm sorry, but what part of this article is supposed to convince anyone not to buy a 10-gauge? That it's heavy? If anything, it suggests that the 10 gauge is ideal and you should roll your own. Browning BPS in 10 gauge for the win. And it ejects out the bottom with a tang safety, so it's ambidextrous for the most part.

"The Takeaway: I expected the 31⁄2 to string out longer and pattern worse than the 3-inch load, but it patterned just as well. The higher pellet count of the 31⁄2-inch resulted in significantly more hits in the circle, but both loads put enough hits on target to kill geese.

However, the improvement in performance comes at a cost of a whopping 50 percent increase in recoil. Even with a gun seated in a massive rest, I could feel the difference, and the muzzle blast was noticeably louder in the test tunnel, too. I shot some of those same 31⁄2-inch shells while trying to shoot a triple on a five-stand range. I could hit the first target always, but recovering from the shot to make the next two was almost impossible."

Field and Stream

http://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/hunting/2013/08/truth-about-shogun-ammo

I guess I should have conveyed better in my first post, I do not have a long barrel 12ga hunting shotgun at all. If I'm buying a new gun with a intended purpose it will be as useful and versatile as possible, I like options.

I also am willing to bet there is a article out there that reads just the same when 3" magnums came out over the good old tried and trued 2 3/4's, Just the way a new monster magnum big game hunting rifle catches hell by a few rags about being unnecessary.

Right now I have 3" Blackcloud's sitting on the desk now and will be the first thing through my new 12 but if I feel that's just not enough or the only shells available at the moment are 3.5's I have the option.

I'm not going to be shooting in a test tunnel so I'm not too worried about that nor has the recoil been even noticed when shooting at birds when using a borrowed shotgun full of 3.5" Blindsides. My 12 YO shoots 3.5's very well and has commented about the recoil but not complained.

Today I have two new Winchester SXP's showing up (one for me and the boy) and I Have a Benelli Nova already in the safe to play with this season. :)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top