Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Goose Gun

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by Jerry, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Jerry

Jerry Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

I ran across a Marlin Model 55 Goose Gun last Friday at a garage sale in Vancouver. Chambered in 12 ga 3" magnum. Pretty good shape. Bolt action with a 2-shot magazine. Dang barrel is about 30" or so. Haven't measured it yet.

The guy was asking $100 but finally let me have it for $80. I don't hunt geese or ducks, but it seemed like a good deal. Maybe a turkey gun. Maybe I can make a few $$ or swap it for something.

2. sheepman

sheepman Las Vegas NV Member

Those were a good gun in their day. It probably has a full choke so steel shot should not be used. If you use it for waterfowl then Bismuth or a similar shot will need to be used. If lead shot is legal for turkeys in Oregon (it is in Washington) it could be a good turkey gun. A few years back there was an older fellow at our club who shot trap with one (he didn't have to worry about stopping his swing to soon). Good luck and have fun with your new gun : Bill

3. Huntbear

Huntbear Ellensburg, Wa. Member

Those Goose Guns are awesome to shoot with. I knew a guy who was bit light in the britches to handle the length, he cut the barrel down to 22 in. for some reason, rather than buying another shotgun.