Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

google and guns

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by Smiddy, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Smiddy

Smiddy Hillsboro, OR Active Member

Cheaper than dirt put out an e-mail today that stated Google no longer lists web pages of internet gun retailers pages that include prices on their web page. So I checked it out and found this to be pretty true regarding handguns. I was still able to find price lists for ar15 rifles. Also the shopping button that would compare prices of websites no longer gets any hits on gun make and models. The only sale websites that seem to slip through are the auction type websites and forums with gun sales. Retailers seem to have been shut out. I wonder what is on Google's mind here.

Good news; BING lists prices of guns on their shopping column so you can compare prices there. This step by google might move me to stop using google all together. Google doesn't really have anything that I cant get from other search engines.

2. JackThompson

JackThompson Valley of the Demons Well-Known Member

Just installed Firefox and uninstalled Chrome, and posted a flaming update on Facebook with some screenshots. To support Google at this point is insanity.

I'll be porting over to Hotmail or another Email service asap as well.

Screw Google. They aren't my Dad...

3. Smiddy

Smiddy Hillsboro, OR Active Member

New home page, Check
    New Hotmail addy, Check
    Remove Google search bar, Check

Its too bad Google owns youtube. I can live without everything else, but I need my youtube.

4. fd15k

fd15k Tigard,OR Well-Known Member

Should I now give up my new Android phone ? :)

5. EMP9596

EMP9596 Two Trees West of Camas, WA. Active Member

6. fd15k

7. coyoteman5

coyoteman5 North south east west Active Member

Anybody know or have a good contact for google we could all write to giving them a piece of our mind about their bias against guns. Hell cigarettes kill more people in the United States than guns do I wonder if they block any kind search for cigarettes or smoking.

8. codezilla

codezilla United States Member

This was happening to me the other day for about an hour, but then magically guns & accessories started appearing again. Weird?

9. EMP9596

I have used it for years and have not research it on it's own, but it will always cough up something where other search engines fail.

10. EMP9596

On another note Iforgot to mention dogpile will go through some sites firewalls like newspapers with online subscription only and some University's research databases.

(<:}-

11. Marz

Marz PDX Member

Google really dropped the ball on this one I feel.

12. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Google is like the oil companies, they make their own rules (and who to pay off). I suppose it'll hurt them some and I'm sure they took that into account. Next they're get a letter from the DOJ and cut out references to Fast & Furious to help the cover up!

I noticed that one of the major news channels showed a car chase and named it "Fast and Furious", bet their search feature would only bring up the car chase.

13. One-Eyed Ross

One-Eyed Ross Winlock, WA Well-Known Member

I just did a google search and F&F scandal is top five results, the movie is 6 and 7

14. revmedia

revmedia Dallas Member

I did a google shopping search for ar-15, handgun, Glock 19 and sig 226, all searches returned good results with links to many different online retailers not just auction sites. Am I doing it wrong? :huh:

15. fd15k

Screenshot-ar-15%2520-%2520Google%2520Search%2520-%2520Mozilla%2520Firefox.png
    Screenshot-sig%2520p226%2520-%2520Google%2520Search%2520-%2520Mozilla%2520Firefox.png

16. fd15k

It says it on their about page :

InfoSpace created the Dogpile search engine because your time is important to us. Powered by Metasearch technology, Dogpile returns all the best results from leading search engines including Google, Yahoo!, Bing and Yandex, so you find what you&#8217;re looking for faster.

About Dogpile - How Dogpile provides the best search results from leading engines in one clean convenient search package

17. revmedia

revmedia Dallas Member

That's really strange and annoying. I'm using Safari on a Mac, but why would that matter?

18. fd15k

Strange indeed.

19. Gunner3456

Gunner3456 Salem Well-Known Member

I'm using Windows 7 and Firefox and just searched Google for "guns for sale" and "ammunition for sale" and got tons of good hits. All of the major online dealers, inventory, prices - everything.

What happens when you click this?

LINK

Or this, which is a sidebar ad for Wal Mart?

LINK

20. fd15k

That seems to be a general search, which is not affected. Problem is with their "Shopping" search, which no longer returns any results for firearms.