JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Anyone have any good recommendations on ways to maintain inventory of guns, ammo, accessories, prep supplies, etc? I've been doing this via pen & paper for a while, but as the collection grows this gets harder and harder to maintain. I am looking for something that will enable me to:
  • maintain accounting of inventory items
  • set thresholds of when to reorder
  • create lists of things I want to buy (wish list)
  • maintain links to those products where I can compare pricing prior to purchasing
  • group products together (i.e. creating a "build")
I can build a spreadsheet to handle all this if I need to, but just wondering if anyone else has identified other potential tools, software apps, etc. for this? If so, how was your experience with them? Thinking about getting a tablet specifically for this purpose and storing it in the safe.

I just go through everything once a month, check exp dates, and order/reorder as necessary from there. No paper or spreadsheet necessary

Anyone have any good recommendations on ways to maintain inventory of guns, ammo, accessories, prep supplies, etc? I've been doing this via pen & paper for a while, but as the collection grows this gets harder and harder to maintain. I am looking for something that will enable me to:
  • maintain accounting of inventory items
  • set thresholds of when to reorder
  • create lists of things I want to buy (wish list)
  • maintain links to those products where I can compare pricing prior to purchasing
  • group products together (i.e. creating a "build")
I can build a spreadsheet to handle all this if I need to, but just wondering if anyone else has identified other potential tools, software apps, etc. for this? If so, how was your experience with them? Thinking about getting a tablet specifically for this purpose and storing it in the safe.
Sounds like a good situation for an app. I would guess a pantry list app might be adaptable to your need?

images.jpeg-87.jpg

I mean, keep it off " the cloud " .

I keep a ledger.
Sounds nerdy but its in the event I die so my family has a rough estimate of item value as well as informing them what was family heirlooms and what was just crap I picked up.

I use two things...

Excel - Except it's just basic spreadsheet functionality. Nothing like reorder thresholds and such. But I keep an inventory list of all gun and gun related accessories. And if you've never listed out all the accessories...bags, pouches, holsters, optics, slings, cases, eye pro, ear pro, magazines, etc., it's surprising how much there is and how quickly it adds up. I tend to keep this list as I go. My main motivation was for insurance purposes. I suspect it would be pretty challenging to try and pull a list like this together after you lost everything in a house fire or something.

Quicken - Most things I buy get bought with a debit card and every debit card transaction I make gets entered into Quicken. It's really a checkbook register but checks have gone the way of the Dodo and have been replaced with debit cards...but I still enter every transaction just like I was writing a check. I've done this forever so I have decades worth of history of just about everything I've ever bought. And there is some reporting functionality with quicken so you can review the data, etc. But again, nothing like being able to set reorder thresholds.

Seriously, we stock what we actually use on a regular basis, so it's just a matter of staying stocked and keeping that stock rotated. Rotation is the key, don't get caught in the"I'll tuck it away", then forget about it, when you find it, it may or may not be usable.

Found a product called Itemtopia, which seems to be a good intermediate solution. It's based in Canada and takes a hard line on data security. Overall it's pretty intuitive and configurable - doesn't do everything I want it to do, but it's about halfway there. Will start using it and let you know how it goes.

Last Edited:
I have a few FIREARM and firearm related folders and they are in my file tubs.

Right now, I have been using legal sized FILING Rubbermaid tubs in case of a fire evacuation instead of the STEEL file cabinet. I have been doing this for a couple of years now. The manila folders FIT perfectly in the hanging folders INSIDE of the tubs and do the job for us.

The manila FILE FOLDERS are listed as:

FIREARMS

Brand name, type of gun, acc. to go with the gun and SERIAL NUMBER.

ALL written down on lined paper - ink and paper.

Price of said NIB gun when bought, year, sales slip, store and FFL dealer man.

There is ONE GUN that my MT husband has had for a LONG time. He knows where he bought it and it was bought NIB by him. It is his old 30-06 beautiful, wood/steel bolt action rifle. It was bought at a famous - OLD LOCAL STORE and he remembers who sold it to him, that man FINALLY retired, etc. He does not have the old sales slip. He does remember the price.

I do have the NIB sales receipts.

Any EXTRA magazines for a couple of pistols and a couple of bolt action rifles.

We do NOT have tons of extra magazines and we do not need them. Your mileage may vary - NO problem!

ALL serial numbers are written down as I said.

~~~~~

AMMUNITION

RIMFIRE - 22lr and 22wmr

Written down for the BRAND NAME, type of ammunition HP and maybe a bit of RN, 22lr and how many rounds per brand name, etc.

GRAND TOTAL for 22lr.

Written down for the BRAND NAME, etc. for 22mr on another paper.

GRAND TOTAL for 22wmr.

~~~~~

CF FACTORY AMMUNITION

A bit of EXPENSIVE 45acp (ONE brand name and type.) and a bit of 30-30 Winchester ammunition. (ONE brand name, 2 grains and type. One other brand name and grain in 2 boxes.)

GRAND TOTAL for 45acp and 30-30 Win.

MORE IN .380 ACP since he does not and will not reload for this pistol. GRAND TOTAL for that ammunition.

~~~~~

RELOADING SUPPLIES

NIB BRASS

BRAND NAME and CARTRIDGE.

TOTAL NIB BRASS FOR EACH CARTRIDE.

USED BRASS - ALL OF HIS OWN BRASS picked up by him and not PICKED up from the range any longer unless it is once fired from LE and he PASSES IT ON to someone else.

~~~~~

POWDERS

BRAND NAME and TYPE.

TOTAL pounds PER name and type.

On the side, I made notes for what HE uses it for since he downsized a LOT and consolidated ALL calibers. (I never reloaded and I have NO plans on reloading.)

~~~~~

RELOADING BULLETS

SAME AS ABOVE in brand names, types and for:

45acp

30-30 Winchester

30-06

45-70 Government

GRAND TOTALS for each group.

~~~~~

NO shotguns are here.

~~~~~

PRIMERS

BRAND NAME and type. GRAND TOTAL for each group.

Large pistol.

Large rifle.

Small rifle.

ZERO SMALL PISTOL PRIMERS and he gave/gifted ALL of his small pistol primers to a friend several years ago once he got OUT of reloading anything in that group.

~~~~~

Firearm misc. folder for notes and receipts for holsters, scopes, rifle cases, chronograph, etc.

~~~~~

ALL inventory gets rotated and since he still shoots on a regular basis several times PER WEEK and still hunts and fishes... it all stays NEAT, CLEAN, DRY and FRESH. CLIMATE CONTROLLED! He is not going to the range as many times PER WEEK as he had been doing for a LONG time too.

~~~~~

I do NOT shoot that often but I do keep up my basic safety issues and skills with 2 CZ bolt action rifles.

I gifted those last 2 firearms of mine to him.

But I still shoot them on and off.

MY tiny amount of 22lr and 22wmr ammunition is all that I need and want.

He does NOT need any item but he still LOOKS in the stores on and off. He goes right by them after he walks and exercises.

And if he sees something that he needs to replace in 22lr and 22wmr - he gets it but so far he is SET. He did switch almost ALL of his 22lr ammo to HP too. So all of that 22lr RN that I and/or we had was replaced by HP.

Cate
PS: He has helped some OLD friends with their downsizing and found buyers for some of their stuff or they put their stuff on consignment.

He did NOT need or want anything that they were selling since he planned ahead with his own STUFF. Some of those OLDER MEN are much older than us too. NOT all of them but quite a few.

Plus some of them had been given STUFF from their own families = estate gifts from their DEAD family members. They got good prices for their STUFF too.

I do not see a U - HAUL TRAILER behind any hearse/coffin or container holding any cremation ashes.

Last Edited:
I have a few FIREARM and firearm related folders and they are in my file tubs.

Right now, I have been using legal sized FILING Rubbermaid tubs in case of a fire evacuation instead of the STEEL file cabinet. I have been doing this for a couple of years now. The manila folders FIT perfectly in the hanging folders INSIDE of the tubs and do the job for us.

The manila FILE FOLDERS are listed as:

FIREARMS

Brand name, type of gun, acc. to go with the gun and SERIAL NUMBER.

ALL written down on lined paper - ink and paper.

Price of said NIB gun when bought, year, sales slip, store and FFL dealer man.

There is ONE GUN that my MT husband has had for a LONG time. He knows where he bought it and it was bought NIB by him. It is his old 30-06 beautiful, wood/steel bolt action rifle. It was bought at a famous - OLD LOCAL STORE and he remembers who sold it to him, that man FINALLY retired, etc. He does not have the old sales slip. He does remember the price.

I do have the NIB sales receipts.

Any EXTRA magazines for a couple of pistols and a couple of bolt action rifles.

We do NOT have tons of extra magazines and we do not need them. Your mileage may vary - NO problem!

ALL serial numbers are written down as I said.

~~~~~

AMMUNITION

RIMFIRE - 22lr and 22wmr

Written down for the BRAND NAME, type of ammunition HP and maybe a bit of RN, 22lr and how many rounds per brand name, etc.

GRAND TOTAL for 22lr.

Written down for the BRAND NAME, etc. for 22mr on another paper.

GRAND TOTAL for 22wmr.

~~~~~

CF FACTORY AMMUNITION

A bit of EXPENSIVE 45acp (ONE brand name and type.) and a bit of 30-30 Winchester ammunition. (ONE brand name, 2 grains and type. One other brand name and grain in 2 boxes.)

GRAND TOTAL for 45acp and 30-30 Win.

MORE IN .380 ACP since he does not and will not reload for this pistol. GRAND TOTAL for that ammunition.

~~~~~

RELOADING SUPPLIES

NIB BRASS

BRAND NAME and CARTRIDGE.

TOTAL NIB BRASS FOR EACH CARTRIDE.

USED BRASS - ALL OF HIS OWN BRASS picked up by him and not PICKED up from the range any longer unless it is once fired from LE and he PASSES IT ON to someone else.

~~~~~

POWDERS

BRAND NAME and TYPE.

TOTAL pounds PER name and type.

On the side, I made notes for what HE uses it for since he downsized a LOT and consolidated ALL calibers. (I never reloaded and I have NO plans on reloading.)

~~~~

RELOADING BULLETS

SAME AS ABOVE in brand names, types and for:

45acp

30-30 Winchester

30-06

45-70 Government

GRAND TOTALS for each group.

~~~~~

NO shotguns are here.

~~~~~

PRIMERS

BRAND NAME and type. GRAND TOTAL for each group.

Large pistol.

Large rifle.

Small rifle.

ZERO SMALL PISTOL PRIMERS and he gave/gifted ALL of his small pistol primers to a friend several years ago once he got OUT of reloading anything in that group.

~~~~~

Firearm misc. folder for notes and receipts for holsters, scopes, rifle cases, chronograph, etc.

~~~~~

ALL inventory gets rotated and since he still shoots on a regular basis several times PER WEEK and still hunts and fishes... it all stays NEAT, CLEAN, DRY and FRESH. CLIMATE CONTROLLED! He is not going to the range as many times PER WEEK as he had been doing for a LONG time too.

~~~~~

I do NOT shoot that often but I do keep up my basic safety issues and skills with 2 CZ bolt action rifles.

I gifted those last 2 firearms of mine to him.

But I still shoot them on and off.

MY tiny amount of 22lr and 22wmr ammunition is all that I need and want.

He does NOT need any item but he still LOOKS in the stores on and off. He goes right by them after he walks and exercises.

And if he sees something that he needs to replace in 22lr and 22wmr - he gets it but so far he is SET. He did switch almost ALL of his 22lr ammo to HP too. So all of that 22lr RN that I and/or we had was replaced by HP.

Cate
PS: He has helped some OLD friends with their downsizing and found buyers for some of their stuff or they put their stuff on consignment.

He did NOT need or want anything that they were selling since he planned ahead with his own STUFF. Some of those OLDER MEN are much older than us too. NOT all of them but quite a few.

Plus some of them had been given STUFF from their own families = estate gifts from their DEAD family members. They got good prices for their STUFF too.

I do not see a U - HAUL TRAILER behind any hearse/coffin or container holding any cremation ashes.
PS:

I used to keep a few notes regarding ALL OF THIS STUFF in an EMAIL to us. Sent and received BY ME to me.

I had a computer issue and deleted the email.

The FEDS already know what is HERE due to the NIB status of it all in X amount of years plus the NIB status of that old rifle sale of his.

So I do not know if I will do an email again or not.

Cate

Seriously, we stock what we actually use on a regular basis, so it's just a matter of staying stocked and keeping that stock rotated. Rotation is the key, don't get caught in the"I'll tuck it away", then forget about it, when you find it, it may or may not be usable.
THIS x 1,000!

Cate

I keep a ledger.
Sounds nerdy but its in the event I die so my family has a rough estimate of item value as well as informing them what was family heirlooms and what was just crap I picked up.
I do not think that is nerdy at all!

IT makes sense and most gun folks should do this for their families especially if their SPOUSE or ANY other family member is ignorant in this subject matter or is NOT INTERESTED in THIS SUBJECT MATTER when it comes to firearms, values, fair market value, supplies in FACTORY AMMUNITION and in reloading items.

Take care!

Cate

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews