JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just refurbished my two fishing poles from my childhood after finding them buried in my parents garage. Now I'm itching to go catch some trout to fill the freezer.

I was wondering if anyone knows a good lake to go fishing within reasonable distance of the Hillsboro/Cornelius area. I'll most likely be casting off the shore which kinda sucks, unless you know a place that rents boats for cheap. Any ideas? Thanks!

Hagg is okay for trout, cast about 30-40' off the bank with various types of powerbait off the bottom and you should limit out in a couple of hours. Hebo Lake is small and better for kids fishing, but there are several lakes on the north coast that are good as well.

Have Fun!!!

Hagg lake, Lost lake, Vernonia Lake, Little Lake Tahoe, Barney Reservoir (a few more I cant think of)

I use glitter garlic power bait, sometimes silver black spinners work to!

I just opened up the laptop and was logging on to ask this exact question. Only twist is my 12 yr old daughter has decided she is "ready" (patient enough) to give fishing another try.
I live just 5.5 miles from Trojan Ponds. Does anyone have any experience or advice for fishing there? I know it was stocked in late spring.

there is bethany and commonwwelth ponds that they stock with trout ever year, bethany is off 185th and commonwelth is off butner.
hagg lake is also a good spot, drive accross the dam and then about 1/4 mile up. hike in and there is a huge dead tree, you should see it driving accross the dam, that is an awesome spot for banking it, i use green glitter power bait or sherbert.

you can also rent boats there for i think around 65$ a day, if you go this route troll back and forth along the dam (about 15' from shore) use a couple split shots, just enough to submerge it and troll a worm (no lures just a worm) use power bait garlic dip.

I just opened up the laptop and was logging on to ask this exact question. Only twist is my 12 yr old daughter has decided she is "ready" (patient enough) to give fishing another try.
I live just 5.5 miles from Trojan Ponds. Does anyone have any experience or advice for fishing there? I know it was stocked in late spring.

You're a probably more than a little late for hatchery trout around here. I can guarantee trojan is just about fished out. However there are bass, crappie, and blue gill in there. The carp are fun to catch but I wouldn't eat them. The waters where you turn off to Prescott also have lots of bass, crappie, bluegill and catfish. Not quite sure what's in Rainier. I grew up in St Helens, speant a lot of time fishing the Columbia, Milton and Mcnulty Creeks and farm ponds. As soon as learned to drive I covered a lot of ground from Scappoose Creek to Big Creek. Fished at warm waters (might me off limits now) and Tide Creek. Used to sneak down a trail to the Deer Island Stock Ranch and fish under the bridge and hoped noone busted us.......ah the good ol' days

ODFW website has a couple of resources available: <broken link removed> . They have a google map that shows some places around the Portland area. It's been a couple of years since I've fished out there, but I do remember renting little boats at Hagg Lake for $15.00/day or something like that. Trolled a Ford Fender with worms or Rooster Tails and managed to do well. From the bank for trout, I always have used the normal Power Bait, worms or eggs.

ODFW website has a couple of resources available: <broken link removed> . They have a google map that shows some places around the Portland area. It's been a couple of years since I've fished out there, but I do remember renting little boats at Hagg Lake for $15.00/day or something like that. Trolled a Ford Fender with worms or Rooster Tails and managed to do well. From the bank for trout, I always have used the normal Power Bait, worms or eggs.

Thanks for this link, what a great resource!

Swift resivoir is a decent drive from you but the fishing is great. On the way up to mt st helens. Theres also battle ground lake which isnt bad for a small lake.

Vernonia Pond is a nice little spot. Never failed to catch something and I'm not very good at it. They also have a bike path all the way around the pond and several little docks to fish off. The other cool thing is the old buildings around the pond, not too dangerous and if the fishing doesn't work out you check those out and still have a story to tell.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews