JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey guys, so I went trap shooting for the first time today, and goddamn if I didn't enjoy it. I didn't have the proper gun in any way. I had an old 1980's Winchester Defender 1300 wood stock. It was in perfect condition though having never been used 'til today. It's a great shotgun, but it's definitely for home defense and not for trap. I still got a 10/25 for my first time ever shooting, and better yet, ever shooting a shotgun. It was a day of firsts to say the least. Anyways, I shot the Defender for one set of Trap and come 7 hours later, a huge-*** bruise/swollen area on my shoulder from the butt of the shotgun is just wood, no cushion. I don't want to modify the shotgun in anyway because it was my grandpas, and I definitely want to take up Trap so I figured I should buy a new trap gun.

Any recommendations for a good somewhat entry/intermediate level shotgun? Thanks guy, and have a good week.

The barrel length is not ideal, but I wouldn't judge it based on your first time shooting trap. If you want a new gun and 870 Wingmaster or Classic Trap (if you can find/afford it) are a great place to start. A nice 1100 or 1187 are nice too. People like the older Winchester model 12, but nice long barrel versions of those can be spendy as well. I shot trap for years with a gun show 1300. 26" barrel and I did very well and had plenty of fun. Trap is all about getting comfortable with your gun, getting the same sight picture everytime and the same hold. Just do that 25 times in a row and your a hero.

My buddy I went with had the Remington 1187 Sportsman Field. It was a great looking shotgun, but I didn't have the opportunity to try it out. He made the remark it was a good shotgun though, but I don't want to copy off what he has. And yeah, the barrel length, at 18 inches, was not good haha.

My buddy I went with had the Remington 1187 Sportsman Field. It was a great looking shotgun, but I didn't have the opportunity to try it out. He made the remark it was a good shotgun though, but I don't want to copy off what he has. And yeah, the barrel length, at 18 inches, was not good haha.

Don't let it limit you, if you find a good deal go for it. Besides if you get into shooting trap before long you'll be customizing it to make it fit you better anyway. They may start as the same model, but will end very different.

I use a old 1300 for 5 stand (with a 26" barrel not the defender model) I like the action on them. As far as shotguns go it was a fantastic buy at 300 vs the many thousands you see some spend and I seem to have just as much fun as everyone else. Parts are getting rarer these days though.

Don't let it limit you, if you find a good deal go for it. Besides if you get into shooting trap before long you'll be customizing it to make it fit you better anyway. They may start as the same model, but will end very different.

I know it'll make me sound cheap and all, but I'm only 19 and $700 is not at all a a feasible price for me at a time like now without a job. I was looking more in the like $400-500 range, but I do understand that the extra money can go a long way later on.

I know it'll make me sound cheap and all, but I'm only 19 and $700 is not at all a a feasible price for me at a time like now without a job. I was looking more in the like $400-500 range, but I do understand that the extra money can go a long way later on.

$400-$500 is a great place to start looking. It should get you into a nicer 870 and I've seen a few auto-loader on here go for around that price range as well. Hell, the 1300 I bought I spent $175 on and it shot just fine. It doesn't make you sound cheap, you at least know your budget. You're looking for an entry level gun and $400-$500 is more then enough to find that. Don't let anyone talk down to you and try to sell you some $1300 dollar trap gun. While one day you may want that, what you've got to spend should get you a nice used 870, 1100 or 11-87. Or many other models. Good luck.

personally I prefer 26"+ barrel with interchangeable chokes.

Friend and I go clay shooting pretty often and his Baikal semi auto MP153 has been dead reliable shotgun for under $500.

For over and under, cz and stoeger have very nice entry lever shotguns.

Just got a 20ga Mossberg 500 that came with 2 barrels for $300 new from BiMart. This weekend, I'm gonna slap on the long barrel and go skeet shooting with a buddy of mine, should work fine for that.

Just got a 20ga Mossberg 500 that came with 2 barrels for $300 new from BiMart. This weekend, I'm gonna slap on the long barrel and go skeet shooting with a buddy of mine, should work fine for that.

I actually used to work at a local Big 5 Sporting Goods and we had those. I've considered buying one in 12ga sizing. The tactical and long barrel for the $300 is a great deal. I'm definitely keeping that in consideration

actually my buddy had that shotgun, it worked okay. but shot tend to spray very quickly with fixed cylinder bore barrel. spend little more money for shotgun with screw in choke.

I have cz canvasback for sale, but you are too far away.

I'm no expert, but I used to shoot a lot of trap back in the 70's....so here goes. 12 ga. only. Buy a pump, auto, over/under that you can afford, that has a good reputation, fits you comfortably ( for now anyway ), w/ 28" through 32" barrel. Full and extra full chokes were the norm back then but a few guys messed around with modified chokes on the 16 yd. line.

Eventually you will decide your gun doesn't fit you right and you'll end up taking a table saw to the stock and/or adding a trap pad and other accessories. You will burn a lot of shells....so buy a shotgun reloader and a crap load of 7 1/2 shot, wads, primers..upfront. Cases you can often scrounge from the range. If not I used to buy Winchester AA cases. I don't know if they even sell those anymore.

When you get rich buy a Perazzi single shot....:) Seriously, I used a Model 12 Winchester, Remington 870, and Remington 1100 for years. Expect to bulge a barrel and maybe/maybee not ruin a gun somewhere along the way from a stuck wad. I did.

Good luck and have fun !

Remington 1100, browning bt99 or winchester model 12 are great choices for your price range look for at least 28 inch barrel and a mod chocke at the minimum as well. Good luck

Any shotgun you use for trap should have a long barrel, at least 28", it helps steady your swing and improves follow-through. A good pad on the stock is also helpful, as you've already found out you'll shoot a LOT of shells in a day. Choke is more personal preference I think, I shoot a Winchester model 12 with a 30" barrel and full choke. Get something you won't mind modifying as well, since having the sighting setup and LOP you like will help a lot.

Try to find a heavier gun with 28"+ length barrels Trap guns are meant to shoot a lot and carry a little vs hunting guns, shoot a little carry a lot. I like break open guns because they are easy to clean and have fewer parts. Most of my guns went for $2500+ when new but I bought all of them used at less than $1500. A lot of trap shooters change out guns often and they are still very nice and need nothing repaired. However, I bought a Citori that was worn out and popping open when shot for $300. I had the action rebuilt for $300 and now it is as good as a new $2500 model. If you are sensitive to recoil use 1 oz loads as there is plenty of shot in there with less bump. Weatherby makes great starter guns in the PA-08 pump and the SA-08 semi-auto.

I'd recommend a Browning Silver Hunter 12ga at the intermediate level. I've had no problems with mine, it is light, well balanced and easy to maneuver.
229990_02_browning_silver_hunter_12ga_ne_640.jpg

229990_02_browning_silver_hunter_12ga_ne_640.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews