JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
so I just bought my first 10MM. Xdm 10mm with a 5.25 barrel. I don't reload yet but with the price of 10MM I see it happening in my future. I see Armscor, Magtech and S&B for decent prices. Around $15-16 per 50. I'm looking for good plinking ammo that is also good for reloading. I gave no plan on loading them hot.

Again.. I'm brand new to 10 MM and have never reloaded so please keep the flames down. Just looking for advice.

Starline has yielded the most # of reloads for me, 15+ for the softer stuff.

If you decide to get into reloading, and ever make it to Vancouver, drop me a line. I've built a bit of a shrine (figuratively) to the 10mm and have just about every compatible bullet, powder, and primer; you could try before you buy.

I just bought a glock 40 - 6" barrel 10mm and I freaking love it!

I don't want to spread Internet hocus pocus but I've read a couple articles that say one can run 40 S&W in a 10mm without any modification. "Headspaces" if you will off of the extractor instead of the case mouth. Some claim thousands of rounds shot without any issue.

May be a cheaper option for plinking if one doesn't want to get into reloading yet, although I understand and agree with what others have said about needing to stay familiar with the recoil and flash of the big 10.

Can anyone add any personal experience with doing this?

Don't know the specifics of the XDM, but most 10 mm pistols can shoot .40 Short and Weak just fine with the only needed change being the recoil spring. I have 7 1911's chambered in 10 mm and all run flawlessly with the lighter spring. and yet with the full pressure spring, can handle the very ragged edge of 10 mm power levels ( not that that's needed) so assuming the XDM is as easy to change recoil springs, then I see no reason NOT to play with .40 S&W for plinking! FWIW, the SIG ammo is pretty good stuff and can be found reasonably priced most places, and on sale its worth grabbing a case or three! The PPU stuff is pretty good but don't bother reloading the brass, like others have said, it's not worth it!

Thanks for the info on the .40. I can find 10MM ammo around $16 a box delivered. I won't save much buying .40. And I get brass to reload also.

I just ordered 150 rounds of armscor and 150 rounds of S&B 10 MM. that should get me started. I kept saying I was going to reload 9MM too but I have 5 coffee cans full of brass and still... haven't set up my new press. Well, it's a year old but hasn't left the box. o_O

I'm reading thru all the posts tonight. Thank you for all the replies.

Weird. I use CCI primers and never see this with any other brands of brass.

Sellier & Bellot seems to be stiffer brass. In 9mm it really tests the old arm on the single stage. And the primer pockets ARE tighter. I've used CCI, Remington and Tula primers. It's the pockets not primer. The primers seem to hang and then kind of pop in.

I don't want to spread Internet hocus pocus but I've read a couple articles that say one can run 40 S&W in a 10mm without any modification. "Headspaces" if you will off of the extractor instead of the case mouth. Some claim thousands of rounds shot without any issue.

Can anyone add any personal experience with doing this?

I've shot 9mm out of my CZ SP01 in .40 cal. It didn't work the slide and wasn't accurate. o_O It key-holed the target about a foot high at 50'. Wrcked the brass too. :oops:

I wouldn't even bother thinking about thinking about the brass. Here's my breakdown:
Starline brass $162 / 1000 = $ 0.162 / 10 = $0.0162
Xtreme Bullets (180 gr HP) $62 / 500 = $0.1240
CCI Primer $33 / 1000 = $0.0330
Blue Dot $23 / 7000 * 11.5 = $0.0380
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
$0.2112 / round = $10.56 / 50 box
- time spent reloading and not watching tv or doing yard work = $100
so you come out ahead in the end :)
If I bought the bullets in +K cases I could probably get the cost down a bit more....

I wouldn't even bother thinking about thinking about the brass. Here's my breakdown:
Starline brass $162 / 1000 = $ 0.162 / 10 = $0.0162
Xtreme Bullets (180 gr HP) $62 / 500 = $0.1240
CCI Primer $33 / 1000 = $0.0330
Blue Dot $23 / 7000 * 11.5 = $0.0380
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
$0.2112 / round = $10.56 / 50 box
- time spent reloading and not watching tv or doing yard work = $100
so you come out ahead in the end :)
If I bought the bullets in +K cases I could probably get the cost down a bit more....

There's a huge portion of reloaders, (50%?), that really dig the actual process of reloading. From finding the brass left on the ground, to that final stroke of the arm when you behold that piece of finished ammunition! ;)

There's a huge portion of reloaders, (50%?), that really dig the actual process of reloading. From finding the brass left on the ground, to that final stroke of the arm when you behold that piece of finished ammunition! ;)
I do too. To semi qoute someone else here; "Me and brass is like Gollum and the ring". I just wanted to point out that the big cost that's hard to get away from are the bullets.

I do too. To semi qoute someone else here; "Me and brass is like Gollum and the ring". I just wanted to point out that the big cost that's hard to get away from are the bullets.

We don't wanna hear about no big costs, dontcha know? :s0002: Though the bullets may be the big cost you can save by buying in thousand lots. I've been using Montana gold for all handgun but .45 acp where I'm currently using Rainier Ballistics plated 200gr. Don't want to use lead so when those run out I'll go for the cheapest plated.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top