Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Good to best .22 rimfire (non-magnum) non-bulk ammo?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by The Heretic, Jul 6, 2016.

1. The Heretic

The Heretic Oregon Well-Known Member

I know different firearms prefer different ammo.

I have enough bulk rimfire ammo - mostly LRN or copper washed RN ammo.

I have a little bit of "premium" ammo, mostly CCI.

But now I want to stock up on better quality ammo, ammo that is more precise (smaller groups) and more effective for hunting small game (rabbits, etc.). I also want to stock up on subsonic, standard velocity, CB, short, etc.

But I want to get the best value I can find. I don't compete so I don't need the last iota of precision, but I do want better precision than bulk ammo. I don't have a precision rimfire firearm either, but I do have a bolt action tube feed Marlin that I am hoping will be decent (I had one as a kid that worked well). I am also going to buy one of Paco Kelly's tools.

I am not sure of which brands and types of ammo are a good value for "premium" ammo, and which are just the same bulk ammo packed in a fancier box.

So help me out here, what brands and types should I be looking at?

SK? Eley?Aguila? Geco? Norma? RWS?

What about the premium Federal and Winchester ammo?

TIA

WAYNO likes this.
  2. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Winchester bulk is good stuff as is federal premium. Premium Federal is probably on par with CCI mini mags but a little pricier imo.

I guess availability will play a big part I would think.

WAYNO likes this.
  3. Doc In UPlace

Doc In UPlace Tacoma-ish Well-Known Member

My Savage MKII really likes the mid-priced Federal Gold Medal HV Match (about $5.50/box of 50).

It didn't like the Eley Force HV at all, but Eley Tenex is said to be a big 'fave for Olympic shooters, and at $20/box it should be.

Norma Tac-22 is another good performer in my Savage rifle, and not really expensive either.

I have read good things about Aguila SV, but all I have from them is their incredibly fast Interceptor.

Most likely you'll get this good advice: Get a box each of several makes and configurations, then let your Marlin tell you what it likes best.

A good forum for .22 is Rimfire Central (RimfireCentral.com - Rimfire Community! (http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/)) lots of good threads on ammo there.

WAYNO and Ura-Ki like this.
  4. The Heretic

Yeah - I will get a box or two of each recommended type and try them in the different rimfire guns I have, but I guess I was wondering if there was some that are not worth bothering with and some that do well overall.

5. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Stay away from Rem Golden Bullets and thunderbolts.

6. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Sub Light Speed Well-Known Member

I have found the Eley 10x and others from them to be vastly more accurate from My .22 rimfires
    Others are the Fed Gold match, and Winchester Match X. For good and quiet, the CCI standard work very well, as do the Aguila standard speed stuff. The old Remington CB loads are still about as quiet as you can get with a good bullet! The nice thing is with the Marlin Microgrove barrel, you don't see a lot of lead fowling as quickly as with others using lead bullets! For ultra accurate, Anshutz is about the best you can get, but is VERY expensive and only available in numbered lots! Like every one else has stated, buy a few boxes of what ever you can get, then go back and get more of what works best for you!

WAYNO and Joe13 like this.
  7. 308

308 ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ Platinum Supporter Silver Supporter

FedMatchHV and CCI Stingers work best for me and I prefer the round nose over the hollow points because they are prone to catching the top edge of the chamber on most .22s I've shot.

Joe13 and Ura-Ki like this.
  8. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Sub Light Speed Well-Known Member

Never been a fan of hollow points in .22 Rimfire! For the same problems 308 listed, plus, they don't really expand enough to make much difference on small game!

9. The Heretic

I have a lot of it, but it would be okay for practice and plinking. Also, I would be interested in whether it would respond to treatment by the Paco Kelly tool.

10. The Heretic

There was a post in another thread where a guy was a participant in a study where they evaluated the effectiveness in hunting of different rimfire ammo. The HP and similar (segmented) projectiles did a lot better than solids.

WAYNO and Joe13 like this.
  11. Doc In UPlace

Doc In UPlace Tacoma-ish Well-Known Member

This is a weird science, because (though I don't shoot them myself) I have read that really fast .22's in small critters (like squirrels) can go through so fast they're less effective than the slower rounds. Our squirrels here are semi-pets and so, not targets.

But when you move up to something bigger like Raccoons then the faster bullets work better because they have time to open up or segment out and deliver the higher energy.

For sure the worst performing ammo in my rifle were CCI "Quiets". They grouped like a shotgun instead of a rifle, last time I was out with them.

I've gotten some really good results in gently cleaning my .22 bores (including Ruger 22/45) with JB Bore paste and Kroil until it's shiny-clean, then finishing off with a coating of Lock-Eze to help return the groups to pre-cleaning size.

The topic of cleaning .22 rifles and finding ammo to match the gun is a specialized science in itself; I'm confident in saying that in no other metallic cartridge-fed weapon is there a more diverse set of ammo performance to be found than in the .22's.

If you have a sporting chamber (or whatever it's called :confused:) and feed it tight match ammo, you might get worse results than if you'd used ammo made for the looser dimensions. Similar to the unfavorable results when shooting plinking ammo in a high-end target gun.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  12. WAYNO

WAYNO Oregon City Gold Supporter Gold Supporter Bronze Supporter

We could see as many different opinions as we have replies. And I know that everyone has different opinions/successes/failures, depending on what ammo works best in their particular firearm.

I shoot a whole bunch of .22LR, regularly, from a bunch of different guns.

First, in a run of the mill sporter-.22 rifle such as a Ruger American, a 10/22, a Nylon 66, a Remington 581/582, or a Marlin 60, (just a few of many examples), I have standards which seem to work pretty well for plinking or informal hunting. CCI Mini Mags, are still at the top of my list. I do not believe their accuracy/consistency is what it used to be, but I still can count on them to go bang most of the time, and they seem to function well in any semi-auto. I have very good luck with the Winchester white box 235-round bulk ammo and M22, but poor results from the Winchester red plastic box and 333-round bulk ammo. The Federal Auto-Match Target is a good choice for me. American Eagle is hit-or-miss on quality. If I have a good batch, I like the stuff. If it's a poor batch, meaning poor round-to-round consistency and/or misfires, I hate it. I seldom buy the stuff any more, if I have other choices. Contrary to many folks opinions, I do okay with Remington Golden Bullets, but I do have more misfires than with my other choices. Blazers work okay, but are dirtier than some others. Thunderbolts are at the bottom of my list...Not because they don't work, but just because I've seen the bores on a few guns foul horribly with this stuff.

Now let's talk about handguns, specifically RST's, MkI's, MkII's, Single Sixes, and Bearcats, because those are the choices I shoot most often. More often than not, Mini-Mags, are still the best choice, followed very closely by Blazers.o_O Go figure.

Let's change things up a little now, and talk about 10/22 Target Models. My most recent one is the 10/22 Tactical. Don't know why they call it Tactical, as there's nothing tactical about it. It's otherwise a run of the mill 10/22 but with a heavy 16-1/2" barrel and Hogue stock. This is a catalogued model. The same time I've been experimenting with this rifle, I've been shooting next to Gassyman (from this forum), who has a similar rifle, but with an after market heavy 16-1/2" barrel with no manufacturers markings of any kind. His is the most accurate 10/22 I've ever shot. Anyway...While we were both pleased with the accuracy of both of these rifles, shooting all the normal plinking/sporting/hunting ammo that's routinely available to us, we wondered just how much better they might shoot with true match ammo. So, Gassyman brought some Eley. Don't remember which ones, as they make a number of different choices in match ammo, but what a night and day difference this stuff was! Immediately I was shooting 10-round groups at 50-yards that could be covered by a nickel. His were closer to dime-size groups. To me, very impressive! This stuff is very expensive. Roughly $18 for a box of 50 rounds. So now I'm wondering if the less expensive match ammo, 10-to-12 bucks a box of fifty would shoot as well. I bought a bunch of the "other" match ammo... Eley Club, Wolf (yes, Wolf!), CCI Green Tag, and a couple others that I can't remember right now. Although the high-dollar Eley still shot the best, the other match ammo was not far behind. Interestingly, none of my revolvers or pistols liked this high dollar match ammo.

Another change-up is Stingers. Used to be it was a very preferred round in the sage-rat fields, as well as on the range. I have found the accuracy of this stuff is not what it used to be.

So these are my impressions. I'm sure I'm leaving something out. I know the OP asked for non-bulk opinions, but some of the bulk ammo is so pleasing to me that I had to mention it.

Keep shooting!

WAYNO.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
    Reacher120 and The Heretic like this.