Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Good South or South East Oregon camping?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by CleverName, Jan 11, 2012.

1. CleverName

CleverName Southern Oregon Active Member

Im wanting to plan some Spring and Summer camping trips soon and am looking for ideas. Heres what Im looking for: high desert type area, wildflowers, water (lake, river, or creek) and 3 hours or less driving time from Medford (I have a 3 year old son) There are some good places out by Prospect that I like to go to but it is very forested. I am looking to camp in some open country this time. Any suggestions?

2. DieselScout

DieselScout S Clackamas County Well-Known Member

Don't take this as a crass reply, but about 3 hours East, South or South east is going to put you in good camping territory. If you want open, head for the central high desert, the Klamath Valley has some good spots as well. I was going to recommend the Steens mountains, as they are spectacular and pretty far from anywhere, so you don't get much riff-raff. However, it's more the 3 hours from Medford I think.

Are you looking for established camp grounds, like with facilities, or just looking to head up into the hills and rough it?

3. CleverName

Thanks for the info! I was mainly looking for established campgrounds with facilities. I dont need pay showers, but the family appreciates an outhouse or two.

4. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

5. duginsky

duginsky Tualatin Active Member

Check out the National Forest Service as well as OR state parks - lots of info on the web...and, sorry to be anal, but is is "Steens Mountain;" it is a single mountain, not a range...

6. sadiesassy

sadiesassy Prescott Active Member

How about over by French Glenn - The river that flows thoug there

7. CleverName

That looks like a nice area too, but a little farther than I want to drive. Maybe when my son is older. If anyones interested, theres a great campsite called Indian Scotty, on the Scott River in N. California. Its about 45 mins west of Yreka. Lots of great big toads in the spring and bullfrogs in the river. A great place for kids.