JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have been in the hunt for a reliable 2in snubby for a little bit now and Ive been having a difficult time deciding what type of snub I should get. I tend to favor the heavy frame compared to the Light or Ultra-Light frames. I would prefer to be able to run the +P loads but they don't make snubbies like they used to. Ive had an interest with the classic S&W model 36 and 40. Ive also liked some of the modern +P Taurus and S&W wheel guns. If anyone has personal experience with any type and brands of snubbies, please feel free to let me know your own thoughts and opinions about any knowledge you might have with your specific model. Thanks for your help!

I've not fired one, but I hear the Ruger LCR is really good. Tiny wheelgun, .38 special rounds.

I have one, with the CT grips vs. the Hogue. It's snappy, especially with +P rounds, but a really nice little pistol. I tried out a few of the S&W J-frames first, but settled on this mostly due to the weight and price.

It's probably at the opposite end of the spectrum if you are looking for a heavier gun though. After a few .38 sp rounds through the LCR, my GP-100 with .357 mag feels like it has no recoil at all!

Charter Arms Bulldog. It's not a masterpiece of fine workmanship but it is a .44 special and goes bang when needed or wanted.

It's a fine car gun for when I can't reach my PT-145 carried IWB.

The Smith 642 or the LCR with a decent +P HP. They work well in the pocket holster and are light and easy to carry.

...my S&W m640 .357mag...

SWm640-1.jpg

...and my S&W m649 .38spl.

SWm649-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have and carry daily the 442(just plain black) version of the SW 2" snubby, this is a hammerless version, exactly like PlayboyPenguin's m640, just a little shorter because it is for .38spl and I have the CTC Lasergrips.

My gun is rated for +P and eats it with no issues. I will say though it took quite a bit of shooting it for us to get "comfortable" with each other......didn't carry it for more than 6mos. after I got it as I didn't feel I was a accurate as I could be.

Recoil, I prefer the light gun, it's totally managable, but after 25+ rnds of +P, your hand will know it. It's kinda a "tingle". With normal .38 loads though it's fine to shoot.

I have a model 60 S&W and a Taurus 605 titanium, both in .357. They are easy to conceal and dependable. I think either would be a good choice. In the summer the Taurus is a bit easier to conceal because it does not weigh as much.

A great one is the S&W J Frame 340PD. 5 rounds of .357, and weighs only 12 ounces. And it can actually be shot accurately with some practice. Shooting a lot of .357 rounds through it builds character too. :)

If your plan is to pocket carry, then one of the very lightweight alloy framed pieces is good Many people don't care for the recoil of a .357 in a lightweight frame.

If your plan is to belt carry, then you probably won't mind the extra weight of steel, which will be much easier to shoot well and a model in .357 might work for you. In that case, a heavier K frame snub, such as the Model 19 or 66 in 2.5" comes to mind.

If your plan is to pocket carry, then one of the very lightweight alloy framed pieces is good Many people don't care for the recoil of a .357 in a lightweight frame.

If your plan is to belt carry, then you probably won't mind the extra weight of steel, which will be much easier to shoot well and a model in .357 might work for you. In that case, a heavier K frame snub, such as the Model 19 or 66 in 2.5" comes to mind.

My wife's primary for 25 years has been M65 S & Ws with 3 inch heavy barrel. Great compact .357s!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top