JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
85F6A6AC-74A9-490D-964D-E9073B013407.jpeg If I had to go someplace this probably be the vehicle of choice. This photo is from when we were changing beds and installing a crane.

You want inconspicuous?
Ford Explorer / Expedtion 1996 - 2010
Chevy Suburban / Yukon 1996 - 2010

IMO, people don't pay attention to older, std issue looking stuff. If you look menacing, people notice.
If anything is customized, you can't tell looking at it. Knew a guy who had a 1996 Suburban, modified to give 1000 HP (his word). His way of proving it was to burn all four wheels for the length of the building in 4H. Looked like a run-of-the-mill govt surplus suburban.
Any of the above will haul a lot inside (up to 8, plus gear), on top, and tow. Mileage, I don't consider 17mpg to be bad for the utilitarian aspect.

Sure, you can get a Cherokee too, cherried out to climb over boulders.

ETA : all the above have inexpensive, readily available parts.

I think 4wd IS a priority.
for my use even if it were a "5% of the time need" it is well worth whatever the alleged extra cost may be;

the notion we can get a singular vehicle to serve diverse needs well, has been an illusion my own experience has had to abandon.

Priorities of the top 3 items on my own list, that are WELL served, trump such lesser-priorities, such as 'economy'. A mini-van that gets stuck on a cigar butt is not in my future. Being able to carry a chain saw while being unable to jump a curb or median strip is contradictory theory of survival. etc.

I am curious where people think they are going to go.....
THAT is a very cogent point....having abandoned the flatlands decades ago, the hoards of road clogging daily grinders is adaptation beyond my current circumstance. Years past prepping for Elk Camp for a limited stay made certain gear 'take' or 'not needed'. Beyond that limited time frame, any supplies/gear rapidly reached comfort limits.

One other thought I'd add is resistance to complete failure in the event of an EMP burst. That likely means distributor, condenser & points ignition, mechanical fuel pump, etc. or at a minimum, the ability (and parts on hand) to convert to a non-electronic system.

Pretty much anywhere an AWD or 4WD is going to probably give you an advantage in any SHTF situation.

fc0eg3.png

That is my driveway and my daily driver. A couple days before that pic was taken I had to go get my daughter in town because she was stuck in the snow trying to get home in Beaverton.

What if SHTF happens in the middle of winter? Even with the little snow we get, we sometimes get it dumped on us. My primary SHTF concern with regards to vehicles is getting home. If we have "the big one" most roads are going to be in bad shape. A 4WD won't guarantee getting home, but it might make the difference, and it will probably get you further than if you didn't have 4WD. Once home I intend to stay home as much as possible - I live at my BOL - but I may have to go into town for supplies or medical care occasionally.

I also use my vehicles for work around the property and that pretty much requires 4WD most of the year:

10610615_304165196445019_7442497863557028428_n.jpg
12019952_418324205029117_3566675624828769314_n.jpg
2jg544p.jpg
15502ud.jpg

They kind of double as a vehicle and a tractor sometimes - although there are sometimes I wish I had a tractor too.

2ykgw29.png
kafhpk.jpg

No one vehicle is going to be perfect, but having AWD/4WD is a requirement for me and I think it is a good idea for most people.

One other thought I'd add is resistance to complete failure in the event of an EMP burst. That likely means distributor, condenser & points ignition, mechanical fuel pump, etc. or at a minimum, the ability (and parts on hand) to convert to a non-electronic system.
Or just buy a pre electronic Diesel like the one in my photo.

I have 1/2 a dozen real 4X4 vehicles. Nothing tickey tacky Oriental stuff except my quads. I am curious where people think they are going to go..........we are very prepared here st the ranch and have no reason to go anywhere. Why would you live in a place that you don't feel secure. When I lived in an urban area these were my housesView attachment 468061 View attachment 468062 . I went through 4 major earthquakes and didn't even wake up. It isn't like you are trying to accomplish some sort of military objective. Why wouldn't you prepare to shelter in place? People trying to invade my rural neighborhood are likely to get shot.

Depends where you live. If you are on the Oregon coast when "the big one" hits, you are probably going to want to hike out, if you survive. Unless you have a year of food and water stored up.

I am buried in the middle of Vantucky. We have some food and water, need more, but if "the big one" rips us apart, it may be worth pulling up roots and heading home for a year.

I used to think I was going to sprint into the woods and live like sasquach, but I have grown out of that.

An Associate bought a new Subaru wagon of some kind and the dealer installed a factory lift kit and some semi-gnarly tires. It looks REALLY good compared to the too-low-to-the-ground standard sooby's. And now that all Medium sized SUVs look the same as the Honda CRV there's more room inside for your tools than earlier soob's.

You don't need 4WD - until you do.
Our '03 4WD F250 V-10 gets pretty bad mileage, but it has the beans to get where we would need to go. EMP might put it on the trailer, then we would be driving the reconditioned '49 Suburban. No 4WD, but positraction helps.
Our plan is hunker down as opposed to joining the panic and affray on the freeway.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top