JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Country of origin or era matters little to me.

Capability, durability, ease of repair/etc., are my criteria.

I grew up when US made vehicles were simple - more or less - but they were heavy and big. My '92 Toyota 4x4 pickup is one of the more capable pickups I have used in 50+ years of operating various vehicles and machinery. It's lightweight helps going over rough terrain and it is not as easy to get bogged down in the soft ground as my much heavier (3 times the weight) Dodge. Once I get a diesel in it, it will be a fairly simple rig too.

Damage in Osaka from a 6.1 this morning:

gettyimages-977518360-0b04e3160055f31d5447a63411f3e944e50554a3-s1500-c85.jpg

An 8.1 earthquake would have approx a thousand times more energy than a 6.1 earthquake.

I was listening to OPB last week. They were talking about how many buildings in downtown Portland are not reinforced for earthquake that should be. Apparently hundreds? I wonder how many would fall down during a severe earthquake?

Suffice to say it would be a mess.

View attachment 470448

An 8.1 earthquake would have approx a thousand times more energy than a 6.1 earthquake.

I was listening to OPB last week. They were talking about how many buildings in downtown Portland are not reinforced for earthquake that should be. Apparently hundreds? I wonder how many would fall down during a severe earthquake?

Exactly, after the big one your vehicle will be useless to get you home.

The only DODGE diesel is the Sprinter, other wise their all gas!:( I would want a Diesel, and the older Ford' with the 7.3 turbo are damn tough rigs, so that's the way I would go! CHEVY sukz across the board, so............

ive been looking for diesel van the fords i found have a 6.0 .I was told they are crap . Is that correct ? .I have not been able to find a decent reasonable priced ford van with a 7.3 I don't think they made them for long

7F937437-D427-487E-AB63-2918FB53467C.jpeg I bought and sold this old girl a few years ago. 250 Cummins with multiple transmissions making 20 gears. Drove it 300 miles on the highway to get it home. Wasn't bad, 60 MPH but had power steering.

Believe it or not, one of the very best rigs to have or at least have access to is a twin screw dump truck! May sound a bit odd, and complicated, but they are powerful, can usually go off road pretty well and can carry a large load of your stuff pretty far. With 90 gallons of fuel or more, they do ok on fuel with a light load. They are also extra tough when things get sporty, and can be used as a light armored redoubt if needed! I still have my Mack RDX 880 on the ranch, and while it's useless to me here in Or, it was never intended to "Follow" me where I roam. I wasn't roaming when I bought it for the ranch. Mine is full time 6X6 with no disconnect to the front drive, so the fuel mileage is pretty aweful,( the 450 hp Cummins dosn't help ether) on a good day it gets maybe 5.6 mpg, loaded and pulling up over mountains, maybe 3.8 or worse, but I have 200 gallons fuel, and can carry twice the legal limit for a 3 axle dumper, and still be road legal! Glad I decided to keep it!

Exactly, after the big one your vehicle will be useless to get you home.

It depends on where you are, what your vehicle is and what is between you and your destination.

An appropriate vehicle might get you at least partway to your destination, but a person should be prepared to abandon their vehicle if necessary.

A backup mode of transportation, such as a bicycle, can be very helpful. Bicycles can be moved across/over/around many obstacles and then used to move yourself and cargo faster and easier on paths that they can traverse.

In my younger days I rode a bicycle everywhere - I once rode from Corvallis to Salem then on to Scholls, crossing over the Chehahlem mountains, about 90 miles, all in a day - much faster than a person can walk that distance.

How about a motorcycle because if you live in any large city and the event is publicized enough and concentrated to a small region, the roads getting out of town will be completely blocked with traffic and people who's car broke down.

If the situation allows for driving on a paved road without significant traffic, than it would appear that a box truck with enough seating for the group and storage for the mountain of stuff you want to take with you would suffice.

View attachment 470448

They say a minimum of 1200 buildings in the PDX area will collapse if/when the big one hits. What is worse though is all of the ground under those big fuel storage tanks is expected to liquify and cause catastrophic damage and fires. One estimate is that PDX will become unihabitable and they expect to move 500,000 to 1,000,000 people to the Redmond area.

They say a minimum of 1200 buildings in the PDX area will collapse if/when the big one hits. What is worse though is all of the ground under those big fuel storage tanks is expected to liquify and cause catastrophic damage and fires. One estimate is that PDX will become unihabitable and they expect to move 500,000 to 1,000,000 people to the Redmond area.
How, and whos paying to hire helicopters to airlift that many if bridges are all out?

Back in the mid 80's my wife brought me home a 74 Chevy truck with the option of point ignition. Since that time I have replaced every thing
Back when I was thinking about selling it I was setting in the passenger seat and read the option list on the glove box door.That's when I decided to rebuild the engine instead. Best move I ever made. I'll always own the truck andView attachment 469029 I still have the wife. That's a 68 Chevy Impale setting next to it.

I prefer the 65 Impala SS but good taste otherwise

I used to have a 73 Jeep Wagoneer with a 500 inch caddy motor, that thing was as tough as it came, and with the 700R4 trans and 3.73 gears on 33" BF-Goodrich mud tires, I for 17 miles per gallon! That thing was a beast! I also had a Land rover Discovery series 2, great rig, little tight in the seats, but with the 4.0L engine, and mud tires, it got 26 miles per gallon! That rig was mean as hell off road, you could go any where as long as the tires could find traction or the winch could reach! I would have no problem with an older series1 Disco, especially with the Mercedes Benz 300 turbo diesel conversion, 30 mpg and even better off road performance! If I could afford a G-3wagon, that would also be a awesome rig!

Was this before the ethynal was put in the gas ? I don't see good mileage since they started that garbage.

I have a 67 F250 which is a backup truck we have always wondered how emp proof it was. Not just from the heavy steel but lack of not many electronics that if fried could be replaced fairly easily but I never looked past it that far.
Is long as your running points and carb you should be good to go. Mabey have a spare coil points ect .for back up .I trust the old stuff . The new stuff if it stops running your done.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top