JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Carl Stokes,I remember that bubblegum show well.Was so glad when I put Cleveland in the rear view mirror.But Deja Vu here we go again in Portlandia.
Carl Stokes!!! The very man. Glad you made it out too brother. Now Portland. It's really sad to see our wonderful nation torn asunder as a result of no leaders with moral values, education, social conscience or respect for the Constitution.

I always find it funny that the "come and take 'em" guys are also the first to declare that a cop should just shoot anyone who scares them. Who do you think is going to come knocking?

There is a big difference between trying to arrest a felon in commission of a crime than an officer violating the constitution and oath of office.

Was the dispatcher a woman? I still haven't heard the call and I'm not going to look it up tonight.
Yes, she sure sounded like she was. She also sounded like she was African-American, which was why I was surprised when she asked about Mr. Brooks' race...

Yes, she sure sounded like she was. She also sounded like she was African-American, which was why I was surprised when she asked about Mr. Brooks' race...

Would stand to reason they'd received more than one call - Brooks was there for a while before police showed up. Probably just confirming the description of the person in the car.

These situations where cops are summarily fired without due process is going to cost the legal system, and us taxpayers, big time. There will be so many lawsuits. Everybody wants instant activist judgement but forgets that the laws haven't, and won't, change.

There's a reason most officers are placed on some type of leave before being fired. It saves the legal hassle.

I wonder if these officials all around the US who summarily fire people to try and "prevent" violence have put 2 and 2 together yet? The violence occurs anyway (wonder why?) and now there will be a legal battle to LOSE and probably a second round of violence when most officers are re-instated. If the CCP Virus is still creating idle time for everyone, there'll be ever more riots.

Can you imagine being a Chinese Communist Party official these days? Knowing that the disease that you helped to spread to the world is having the (un?)intended consequence of really ramping-up social unrest in spoiled societies?

"Watch to the end. Judge for yourself."

OK, so? No job is 100% safe.

This Georgia shooting, and this drunk driving shooting, brings to mind this quote:
"There is no human situation so miserable that it cannot be made worse by the presence of a policeman."
--Brendan Behan

Before the cops showed up, these were very small problems. After they showed up, with dead people on the ground, they were very big problems. Maybe the manager should have just gotten a tow strap out of his trunk and pulled Rayshard Brooks' car out of the drive-in lane.

Didn't know a taser was a deadly weapon at distance.

Hmm.
Georgia law considers a taser a deadly weapon when used against an officer. His/her service weapon would be accessible if they where incapacitated from a taser endangering the officer and the public. BUT... in this case the taser had already been discharged so unfortunately it was no longer a weapon when the office chose to shoot.

"Watch to the end. Judge for yourself."

OK, so? No job is 100% safe.

This Georgia shooting, and this drunk driving shooting, brings to mind this quote:
"There is no human situation so miserable that it cannot be made worse by the presence of a policeman."
--Brendan Behan

Before the cops showed up, these were very small problems. After they showed up, with dead people on the ground, they were very big problems. Maybe the manager should have just gotten a tow strap out of his trunk and pulled Rayshard Brooks' car out of the drive-in lane.

Drunk driving is not a small problem...In 2018, there were 10,511 people killed in these preventable crashes. In fact, on average over the 10-year period from 2009-2018, more than 10,000 people died every year in drunk-driving crashes. If you ever pulled a dead child from a car after a drunk plows into it you might feel differently

I did not say drunk driving was a small problem in general. I was referring to this specific case. Obviously, a driver weaving down the road is less of a problem than two dead cops by the side of the road. Don't you agree?

10,000 people dying, in a nation with 320 million, is not very much. We all get in our cars every day, even taking our kids with us, knowing this risk exists. We go ahead and do it anyway. Now, it's certainly worth looking at ways to reduce this risk. Personally, I favor beating the crap out of repeat abusers, and slashing their tires. But I don't think government really solves this problem. Government exists to manage problems, and to create new ones to manage. If they solved a problem they would put themselves out of work.

Georgia law considers a taser a deadly weapon when used against an officer. His/her service weapon would be accessible if they where incapacitated from a taser endangering the officer and the public. BUT... in this case the taser had already been discharged so unfortunately it was no longer a weapon when the office chose to shoot.

Tasers don't just work from the cartridge fired probes - they also have a contact-stun functionality - thats what they first attempted on Brooks during the struggle.

I did not say drunk driving was a small problem in general. I was referring to this specific case. Obviously, a driver weaving down the road is less of a problem than two dead cops by the side of the road. Don't you agree?

No I do not. If the cops had not stopped him he could have just as easily caused a pile up on interstate and killed several people.

10,000 people dying, in a nation with 320 million, is not very much.
Unless you are one of the 10000...

I get it you don't like cops , but without cops on patrol deterring some criminal behavior this country would tear itself apart. Spoke to a friend that is a libertarian and he would agree with you that cops are not necessary that people should take personal defense as a personal matter, my argument is always the same I can defend myself quite well, my children cannot, what stops some people from attacking my kids, my wife, my home? Fear of consequences.

10,000 people dying, in a nation with 320 million, is not very much.

I wish everyone was as reasonable as you about the numbers.
With the uproar about guns, I found very few people die every year from intentional gun violence. Most are suicides. Try to explain that to the other half of the country.
With the uproar about BLM, I was shocked to find that the vast majority of black American homicides are black-on-black. For a certain recent year I looked up, it was 7400-ish blacks killed by other blacks. To me, that is significant.
However, more significant, only about 200 blacks were killed by police (race of officer not noted) and only about a dozen of those 200 were found to be "unjustified".
So, how do you tell a BLM protester that a dozen blacks killed per year is not a big deal and NOT have your town burned?

Maybe the manager should have just gotten a tow strap out of his trunk and pulled Rayshard Brooks' car out of the drive-in lane.

I have personal experience with towing someone's vehicle.

If you really, and I mean REALLY wanna make someone mad, go ahead and tow them!
I had a repeat offender of someone parking in my assigned spot one time, so I towed them out with my truck. Talk about lighting a powder keg! I learned to never do that again. Also, towing a car in park with all 4 wheels on the ground, makes quite the scene!

I'm pretty sure the police version of Taser are multi-shot out to 25 feet?

I have personal experience with towing someone's vehicle.

If you really, and I mean REALLY wanna make someone mad, go ahead and tow them!
I had a repeat offender of someone parking in my assigned spot one time, so I towed them out with my truck. Talk about lighting a powder keg! I learned to never do that again. Also, towing a car in park with all 4 wheels on the ground, makes quite the scene!

I drove a tow truck for 13+ years. Seriously - people loose their sh!t when their vehicle gets impounded or moved without their consent. And the suggestion of towing it out of the way with a tow strap? Dunno about Georgia, but in Oregon you open yourself up to the charge of Unauthorized Use of a Motor Vehicle - a felony. You're also now liable for any damage caused during the move. IF the only goal was to get the car out of the way - they could've tried waking the dude up and asking him to park instead of calling the cops - but this guy wasn't just taking a nap - he was passed out drunk. Which means he'd already been driving drunk - a lot of people want to give him a pass for that. He's already shown reckless disregard for other's safety. He was on probation for felonies and faced going back to prison. Brooks made the decision to escalate and turn it into a fight that got deadly.

Thread cleaned, let's stay away from the personal jabs, please. Otherwise you'll be kicked from responding to this thread or the thread will be closed.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top