JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looking to get a set of binoculars that are reasonably portable (medium to smaller in size) but with very good optical clarity and light gathering ability. I'd like something rugged and waterproof. I'm a pretty big fan of Steiner scopes and have considered starting with Steiner for binoculars as well. Any great values in binoculars these days? What names should I be looking at?

I went to the Steiner factory a few years back and bought five pairs of their 8x50 Marine commander with built-in compass - all factory refurbs that were totally like new. They were for some guys in the club who couldn't get there. One set was for me, and for all the ballyhoo about light gathering, and bear in mind that I have around fifteen sets of binos from different makers, this magnification and and object glass diameter has suited me just fine.

Mr CV-66 recommends 20x80, but, and there is a BIG but, they are HUGE things and may have way too much magnification for simple glassing. My $0.02.

.....and, quote - 'Looking to get a set of binoculars that are reasonably portable (medium to smaller in size)'

1583852127770.png

They also weigh north of four pounds. That's 28 pounds in dog weights.

I went to the Steiner factory a few years back and bought five pairs of their 8x50 Marine commander with built-in compass - all factory refurbs that were totally like new. They were for some guys in the club who couldn't get there. One set was for me, and for all the ballyhoo about light gathering, and bear in mind that I have around fifteen sets of binos from different makers, this magnification and and object glass diameter has suited me just fine.

Mr CV-66 recommends 20x80, but, and there is a BIG but, they are HUGE things and may have way too much magnification for simple glassing. My $0.02.

.....and, quote - 'Looking to get a set of binoculars that are reasonably portable (medium to smaller in size)'

View attachment 668153

They also weigh north of four pounds. That's 28 pounds in dog weights.
If I was wanting to spot with some binoculars these would be the ones. I just don't think they're going to be practical for general use. I'd like to bring said binoculars with me on hikes occasionally so I'll need to keep them relatively light and small enough to be able to fit into a backpack/carry bag.

What did you have to sell to get into the Steiner factory? Or is it just open to the public?

Actually, the recommendation of Steiner is solid! I have the 8X and they are some of the finest Binos I have ever used!
For really compact, I have both a Zeiss and Miratu "Opera" models of 6X25 and they are awesome!
If you shop the Mil Surplus stores, you might run across the 7X50 M-2 Field Glasses, and while slightly heavy, they are simple awesome and have a built in MIL ranging retical!

I've had a Steiner 10 X 50 Police for a couple of decades and that are great! Nice clarity, auto focus. Several years back I picked up a set of the Steiner Predetors 10 X 42 and they are great for out in the brush.

If I was wanting to spot with some binoculars these would be the ones. I just don't think they're going to be practical for general use. I'd like to bring said binoculars with me on hikes occasionally so I'll need to keep them relatively light and small enough to be able to fit into a backpack/carry bag.

What did you have to sell to get into the Steiner factory? Or is it just open to the public?

My LGS, a Steiner major dealership here in yUK, got me in as I was going to be spending some big money. But I also went when I was in the Army - Braunschweig is in the British sector of Germany, and our military uses their products extensively.

Years ago I came upon used Nikon 12x36 that was adequately awesome, portable, good field use especially if you could brace against something. Right on the edge of 'example of why binos can be TOO much magnification'. Used 'em for decades & finally sold at great profit.

Rarely come across used Steiner anythings, but sometimes older Leicas or Zeiss. Do you consider 10x40 armored Zeiss in your 'lighter/more portable' category?

Jcon: Since you mentioned your a Steiner fan I thought I'd make it known to you that I have a Steiner for sale. Probably more than you're after, but my price is quite good.
Steiner 20x80 Military binoculars
Yes I saw your ad and it is a very fair price for what they are, however, I just don't have the money as of now. Much of this is due to recent hospital bills I incurred for being hospitalized for over a week. Even with insurance, I had to take a step back from the market. I'm also more of a hobbyist and am just looking to use them while hiking, etc. I just believe every outdoorsman should have a reliable pair of binoculars. I'll be attempting to spend more time outdoors this summer as I'm trying to improve my health.

Years ago I came upon used Nikon 12x36 that was adequately awesome, portable, good field use especially if you could brace against something. Right on the edge of 'example of why binos can be TOO much magnification'. Used 'em for decades & finally sold at great profit.

Rarely come across used Steiner anythings, but sometimes older Leicas or Zeiss. Do you consider 10x40 armored Zeiss in your 'lighter/more portable' category?
Absolutely. I just have to consider a budget. This is something I'm just getting into. I'd like to find something that is a great value for maybe around $400 or so. *edit* I don't mind buying used either.... I'm just assuming that binocular technology hasn't advanced leaps and bounds in the last decade or so?

Where could I go to get my hands on a few pairs and look through them?

For me anything above 10x is not handy in the field a basically needing a tripod or some kind of mount to stabilize. I have looked through some image stabilizing models that were pretty trick but I would worry about the durability of them. On my Montana hunt last year I picked a poor route out when packing my deer and basically half swam a swollen creek and got into some quicksand. Everything got wet and muddy/sandy. My leicas weathered it after a good clean water bath and a cleanup.

How do you guys feel about fixed magnification vs. variable magnification? Any differences in durability? Any drawbacks to either that might persuade me to go the other direction?

Steiner's are very good glass but IMO, a lot their appeal is their armored appearance. They are meant for hard use. I had some Military Marine binos and traded up for their Night Hunter but ultimately went on to Nikon Voyagers and finally to Zeiss Victory ,
What kind of budget are you looking at? and lastly, If you want real detail about binoculars, go to birding forums

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top