JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I want to get a good scope for my Savage .243 for coyote hunting. What brands are good quality and have good anti-glare coatings? Any suggestions on models?

The rifle came with a Simmons scope, but it's not very good. I've found some Leupold and Nikon scopes in that price range. Would these be good choices?

Thanks,
Dave

Nikon prostaff

Burris fullfield II

Bushnell Elite

There are probably others but these are the ones I have personal experience with.

What magnafication and features are you looking for?

I'd go with the VX-2 as mentioned above for under 3 bills, but for a little more you could get a Elite 4200 4-16 with better glass, IMO, and much greater magnification along with sunshade, and still has the lifetime warranty (which I have never had to use on any decent Bushnell) I have 2 of these 4200's and love both on a 300wsm and 25-06.

I have a simmons pro-hunter 6-24 mil dot on my 22-250 that has been great for me and can really bring that target up close. Only had it for 5 yrs, but still no problems and only paid 189 at Bi-Mart back then. Good luck. and if you go with the 4200 I mentioned

Someone on here had a VX-II 3-9x for sale the other day but I'll be darned if I can find it right now. It was new in unopened box? $250 asking? Might find that thread and try some dickering? Sorry I can't find the link... Anyone?

I would go with a Leupold that fits your needs, you should be able to get a VX-II 3-9x for just under $300

+2

Last time I looked $249 at Bimart.

I chose Leupold over Nikon for a couple of personal reasons. Nikon cameras and lenses are top notch, so I doubt you would go wrong with one.

Last Edited:
Leupold FX2 4 power, or 6 power. For coyote hunting you probably won't need the zoom up to 9 power. Coyotes are always on the move, so a 4 power is good. 6 power gives you a little more zoom. These scopes are clearer and brighter than a 3-9 scope. Lighter too. For the Nikon guys, same thing 4x40 is an awesome clear scope, have one on my Tikka .223 for yote hunting.

get the best glass you can find for the money in hand. Leupold right here,tried and true for 300 or less . 3x9 or 4x12 could be out there used in that price range.(lifetime warranty on most) For Coyotes in general I would go with the one with more magnification even though most shots will be less than 100yds, you will have the versatility of that long shot on the East side when they are hard to call....and at times...they are

I've seen them for under $300.00 in local stores for black versions. They have graduated target style knobs and side parallax adjustment. Great value for the money 92% light transmission! I own three. 50MOA adjustment.

To my feeble old eyes the Nikon seems clearer. This company has a lot of experience making cameras and optical devices so I think you would like it. It is manufactured in the Phillipines. Leupold is also very good. To my eyes it doesn't seem as bright. If it matters, most Leupolds are manufactured in Beaverton, OR.
The problem is that I haven't had the opportunity to look through either one outside in the natural sunlight, only under fluorescent lights inside a building. If I could do it outside I might feel that Leupold is better.

Keep in mind there are other factors in good scopes. Recoil ability, click stop accuracy,tough reticles, and return to zero after adjustment in the field. Nikon is bright,... so just keep it all in mind when you go shopping. Testimony of others is valuable::s0160:

I've never used a Nikon, but the Leupolds crosshairs appear gold in low light, which makes them easier to see in low light. Not sure if the Nikons do that or not, but it's worth checking on.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top