JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Was checking on my dad today, who lives out in the country along Hwy 95. Nearest town is about six miles away. I'm pulling out of his driveway and approach the busy hwy and see a young girl, 13-16yrs old, walking along the shoulder.

She is wearing shorts, flip flops, and has a blanket wrapped around her. Weird.

She sees me coming up the drive and stops nervously along the shoulder. I stop about ten feet from the road and roll down the window. She keeps walking and as she approached the drive, I ask if she's alright or needs help. She starts running across the driveway entrance and doesn't respond.

She stops running about 50' later and keeps walking down the highway.

I called the sheriff's office and told them what I saw. They said they would send a deputy out to make contact with her. So I sat and watched her keep walking down the highway and pass the next house down the road, about a 1/4 mile away.

Pulled out and drove back into town and passed her, still walking clutching the blanket.

Called my brother when I got into town to see what came of it. He is a Detective with the Sheriff's office and said all he could confirm was that she was picked up by a deputy and driven to her mom's house in Viola, which is a small town another 12 miles down the road.

Weird.

Would you have called the cops? Or just minded your own business and went on your way after she refused your offer of help?
Well done. Both that you stopped and that you backed off and called LE when girl ran. (Its reasonable for a young female to avoid getting picked up by a stranger.)

I think the blanket signaled distress of some sort. Thats not what anyone chooses to wear when going for a planned walk along a highway. My guess is something went wrong to put her in that situation.

I agree that you did the right thing given the circumstances. I'm assuming you are male as are most of the people responding here, so something that may not cross your minds is that she may have needed help, but a strange man in a car may set off alarm bells for her. Imagine if she had been raped or abused. How likely is it that she'd respond positively to a unknown male? Women, and young girls especially, live in a different world where we are targeted by bad guys specifically because of our gender - something men can't even begin to relate to.

I am a male, and a scary looking one at that...

profilepic1.jpg

And yes, I have a daughter, and three grandkids, former LEO and all around nice guy.

Yeah sounds sketchy.
maybe she's doing a very long walk of shame?!

But with all the news of kidnappings, sexual assaults, and the like better to have someone check it out then not.

If it was my kid I sure as heck hope someone would be there to call

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads