JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I want to get some work done on my S&W 15-4 (cut the barrel down and convert from square butt to round butt). Anyone know of a good smith in Oregon? I'd rather not have to ship it. 1D8BE0A5-9272-46BA-B67A-B7BC2A0373C1.jpeg

I've done that work before. It is cost prohibitive, especially when you factor in the cost of a proper polish and reblue after the customization work.

I cut a 6" square butt model 66 to a 3" round butt. I did it because it's mine and it was my first custom revolver build. But I don't know I would ever do it again. Several issues. You lose the back strap serrations. More often than not, the lettering on the barrel is left in an awkward spot, unless you swap in a factory short barrel. If you don't, you get to reattach the front sight in some manner.

It is a long complicated process. Possible, but definitely cost prohibitive.

I've done that work before. It is cost prohibitive, especially when you factor in the cost of a proper polish and reblue after the customization work.

I cut a 6" square butt model 66 to a 3" round butt. I did it because it's mine and it was my first custom revolver build. But I don't know I would ever do it again. Several issues. You lose the back strap serrations. More often than not, the lettering on the barrel is left in an awkward spot, unless you swap in a factory short barrel. If you don't, you get to reattach the front sight in some manner.

Thanks for the insight. Just another one of my hair brained ideas that I guess I'll drop.

My dad still has a Lew Horton M66 3" RB, it was one of my favorites growing up, but I can't see paying to have one built.

I have a Model 19 with fixed sights and the 3" barrel. I will say it's a great idea for a carry gun. But it is such a rare piece it's a real Collectable.

I didn't even know they made a 19 with fixed sights (always thought that was the 13's deal), I could see that being rare. I have always preferred fixed sights for a CCW revolver and the 3" over the 2.5" for the full length ejector rod.

I didn't even know they made a 19 with fixed sights (always thought that was the 13's deal), I could see that being rare. I have always preferred fixed sights for a CCW revolver and the 3" over the 2.5" for the full length ejector rod.
It's one of only 50 that were made for the French Secret Service. I've been told that the French guns were all destroyed. It seems they really wanted a 9mm Revolver that didn't require Moon Clips. Smith and Wesson built it but it really didn't work very well. About that time the Glocks came in.

It's one of only 50 that were made for the French Secret Service. I've been told that the French guns were all destroyed. It seems they really wanted a 9mm Revolver that didn't require Moon Clips. Smith and Wesson built it but it really didn't work very well. About that time the Glocks came in.

Very cool. Thanks for the lesson, too. Me loves old S&W wheel guns. Got any pics?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top