JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Took this S&W 44mag out for some shooting yesterday. After firing off a 4-5 rounds the cylinder starting to bind and would not turn without force. Started to check it out and realized after firing a round the spent cartridge primers were popped back from the rim a bit. The spent primers were causing the cylinder to bind against the back of the frame.

Think I need a good gunsmith to work some stainless steel.

629-2E.jpg

No you need to look at your ammo a Primer backing out is a clear indication of something wrong with the pressure inside the case. either way to high or not high enough.

Thanks for the reply -

Yesterday I shot two types of Ammo, some UMC 44mag 180 gr and some Blazer 44 special 200 gr. Both had the primers back out a bit. So it's not common for primers to back out at all? I have some new Winchester mag 240 gr. I'll go out and try those. I recall having this issue about 10 yrs ago and never got around to checking it out.

No you need to look at your ammo a Primer backing out is a clear indication of something wrong with the pressure inside the case. either way to high or not high enough.

Thanks - Just got back from the range. Tried new ammo, no primer back out, however cylinder started to bind after 2nd shot. So that's now 4 different types of ammo and still have the binding. Don't have a clue now - gonna have someone look at it.

S&W does offer a lifetime guarantee, about 2 to 3 week turn around, they will even cover shipping.

Check to make sure there is no crud building up under the ejector rod star, check to make sure ejector rod is tight with cylinder (Remember left hand threads). You can spin the open cylinder with the ejectior rod and check for any wobble.

It's clean. The ejector rod is screwed in tight. However, holding the cylinder open and still, I can wobble the ejector rod back and forth a bit.

Guess I should just send it in.

Thanks

S&W does offer a lifetime guarantee, about 2 to 3 week turn around, they will even cover shipping.

Check to make sure there is no crud building up under the ejector rod star, check to make sure ejector rod is tight with cylinder (Remember left hand threads). You can spin the open cylinder with the ejectior rod and check for any wobble.

It's clean. The ejector rod is screwed in tight. However, holding the cylinder open and still, I can wobble the ejector rod back and forth a bit.

Guess I should just send it in.

Thanks

=====================================================

Having a smith tinker with it could void S&W's excellent warranty. Sucks to be with out your gun for a while, but your gun looks pretty sweet like in a performance center tuned gun, nice, nice gun. Google S&W's number or just go to there web site and talk to them, good luck.

Yes it's a sweet shooter although the high grains kinda hurt these old wrist. I'm not the original owner but this Model came out in 1989 as 1st of the Endurance series. I heard only 3200 were made.

Thanks for the help. Will contact S&W.

=====================================================

Having a smith tinker with it could void S&W's excellent warranty. Sucks to be with out your gun for a while, but your gun looks pretty sweet like in a performance center tuned gun, nice, nice gun. Google S&W's number or just go to there web site and talk to them, good luck.

Update: Received the revolver back from Smith & Wesson today. They replaced the cylinder bushing. Fast and excellent service. Out to the range this afternoon.:cool:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top