JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just about out of the powder I started with. I bought that at Bi-Mart, but they have been out of rifle powders for some time (at least when I go in).

I did notice it's available online still at most retailers, any where you guys recommend? I bought a LB of Pistol powder from Cabela's for what I thought was a decent price ($22), but then realized they added $20 for hazmat. :eek:

No great options for powder right now unless you get a forum member selling what you need. I recall you get to pay shipping AND that darn hazmat $26 if you buy one pound or eight eight...

Get on the mailing lists for some of the online suppliers and keep an eye out for stuff like free shipping, or $.01 hazmat. Also watch sites like ammoseek.com.

If Sportsman's warehouse has it online, you can purchase it for in store pickup and avoid hazmat. I assume many of the other big stores would do this. If you don't specify in store pick-up they mail it to you and charge the fee. That doesn't directly answer your question but it is often an option.

+1 for buy online and pickup in store.

Midsouth shooters supply has lower shipping and hazmat fees than most. $16 hazmat was the last one I saw.

My brother in law asked me a similar question about ammo because he couldn't find any that wasn't priced high (compared to a year ago).

I told him to go re-learn the concepts in Econ 101 on supply and demand.

The "good" places - right now don't have any, the only places that have it are because their prices are high(er).

I've seen quite a few OK deals on powder here on the forum classifieds. I've have been tempted by some of the deals but I have to remind myself powder doesn't last forever and I've already accumulated way more than I will use over the next decade.

I've seen quite a few OK deals on powder here on the forum classifieds. I've have been tempted by some of the deals but I have to remind myself powder doesn't last forever and I've already accumulated way more than I will use over the next decade.
It may not last forever, but if stored correctly it'll last a VERY long time!

It may not last forever, but if stored correctly it'll last a VERY long time!
Kept sealed, powder will last a long time.
Some of the recipes for powder like the double based ones seem to "devolve" a little sooner. maybe last only a decade instead of 2 :)
Bad powder really smells and even looks wrong.

Sometimes, the new powder is just plain better. Occasionally the manufacturers will update it like they did with VV N160.
I have some that's pretty old though still good however the newer 160 has been improved for 2020.
The latest N160 has Anticopper fouling additives and much better temp stability.

People are still shooting surplus ammunition with the powder from WWII.

I'd say stored properly it'll last several decades.

I had some bullseye and unique pistol powder that had been sitting in my parents house in the older cardboard canisters for over 20 years out in a room that wasn't very well temperature controlled, and it still looked, smelled and performed just fine. :)

It's long gone now, but it surprised me how well it lasted after reading all of the horror stories on the I-net!

Was just at my LGS this week and they had plenty of rifle and pistol powder. I picked up a can of IMR 4895 and W231 and shopped a bit, then put them back on the shelf since I had plenty already and found something else to buy instead. They even had some Blazer Brass in .40 S&W on the shelf, but still no 9mm or 5.56...

I'm over on the East side

Was just at my LGS this week and they had plenty of rifle and pistol powder. I picked up a can of IMR 4895 and W231 and shopped a bit, then put them back on the shelf since I had plenty already and found something else to buy instead. They even had some Blazer Brass in .40 S&W on the shelf, but still no 9mm or 5.56...

I'm over on the East side
What were prices on powders?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top