JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't have any real problem with metering BE or Unique. And, I haven't tried the 700x yet. OK, the meter drops are small....but, the up side is that you get a whole lot of ammo out of a pound of powder.

As for ball powder(s).....I love/like it for rifle reloading vs. stick powders.

Then, getting your meter to throw consistently, takes "technique." With whatever powder you choose.

And, about lead bullets. I don't recommend lead bullets for speeds over 1000 fps. That's me. Of course, the hardness of the lead could move that speed meter higher or lower. Not to mention the use of a gas check.

I don't hardly ever load jacketed bullets (exception of rifle ammo) because of the high cost. Remember, I'm cheap.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
I don't recommend lead bullets for speeds over 1000 fps. That's me. Of course, the hardness of the lead could move that speed meter higher or lower. Not to mention the use of a gas check.

I don't hardly ever load jacketed bullets (exception of rilfe) because of the high cost. Remember, I'm cheap.

Have you tried coating lead bullets? The startup cost is very low, and the cost per unit is VERY low.

Have shot 1,000s out of my nine (1,050 - 1,350fps) and lots outta my 10mm (up to 1,450fps) with zero issues.

Just a thought.

Benchrest,

Nope...I never tried coating(s) for a bullet. Probably won't. Because, I'm lazy and don't want to spend the extra time (or extra money). And, I haven't tried gas checks either. Back then, they were difficult to get and about a cent apiece.

BTW....back in the day, I use to cast my own bullets. YES, I'm that cheap. But, after all the time I had expended: mining the back stop, melting, resizing and dealing with messy lube........well, I decided to give it up.

Now, I just buy my cast bullets. And, it's great that the newer lubes are less messy vs. the old style. Finally, I just keep my reloaded lead bullet cartridges to less than 1000 fps. and everything is fine. If I wanted faster...there is always jacketed bullets.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
I don't think they originally gas checked 45-120's and they go 1600+.
A HV .22lr goes pretty fast too.. well over 1000.
Both are pure/straight drawn lead slugs

No specific powder recommended here. But interesting information about....

Semiauto Pistol Cartridges in Long Guns

Handloaders should never go "off book" to get better velocities in carbines that shoot small-capacity, semiauto pistol cartridges. You'll do best sticking with data for standard-weight bullets (see above) and choosing the slowest burning propellant—usually the one with the highest charge weight—shown in trusted handgun load data. That gives you the best opportunity for a decent velocity increase while maintaining safety and reliability.

Read more:

http://www.shootingtimes.com/handguns/revolvers/handgun-cartridges-in-rifle-barrels/

Aloha, Mark

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top