JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
SPD rifle flap punctures public perception about cops as gun safety experts

:s0054:

The on-going flap over a semiautomatic AR-15 type rifle left unattended on the trunk of a Seattle police car Monday night just may become the pin that punctures a public perception – especially when it comes to the legislative arena – that police are the “experts” on all things firearms-related…
What all of this demonstrates is that civilian law enforcement officers are as capable of human error as anyone else, even with training and years of experience…
In the long run, Seattle police and their colleagues everywhere, and ultimately the people they serve, will be better off for it.

<broken link removed>

It's funny that when a cop fluffs up it's OH THEY ARE HUMAN AND THEY MAKE MISTAKES..... if you or I do it, we get revoked and loose our rights. Police are held to a higher standard and well they sure act like it. Yeah we are human and we make mistakes and as long as a lesson is learned it's all good. And it is my opinion that there should be something done to the officer.... unpaid time off, desk work for 6 months.... stuff like that because something really bad could have happened and the officer should thank his or her lucky star.

the story I read had one officer unloading a trunk placing the rifle on the trunk lid of the car next to his and walking into the building with an arm load of stuff. Second officer comes out of the building and leaves in the car with the rifle on the trunk. SO it took two officers to make this happen.

Since few people do a walk around on their car before they jump in and drive off I would venture almost all of us could have the same thing happen. NOW the office who placed the rifle on the trunk and walked into the building was the one to screw up. If the car was being unloaded in a secure area then much less then if it was parked on the street.

This quote says it all. It's true that people do make mistakes and I do feel sorry for that officer because SPD is going to investigate, but the biggest issue was the weapon was left unattended. Any nut job could have walked off with it...how long would it have been before the officer realized his rifle was missing?

Yeah - they'll need to send that guy back for remedial weapon training - YouTube - &#x202a;This Is My Rifle. This Is My Gun&#x202c;&rlm;

the story I read had one officer unloading a trunk placing the rifle on the trunk lid of the car next to his and walking into the building with an arm load of stuff. Second officer comes out of the building and leaves in the car with the rifle on the trunk. SO it took two officers to make this happen.

Since few people do a walk around on their car before they jump in and drive off I would venture almost all of us could have the same thing happen. NOW the office who placed the rifle on the trunk and walked into the building was the one to screw up. If the car was being unloaded in a secure area then much less then if it was parked on the street.

Thats the one i read, and if its true then it doesnt seem so bad, literally an honest mistake. Not an excuse but everyone saying "i know where all my guns are at all time blah blah blah" can say that because they dont carry them around in their cars everyday. When i was in Iraq we had an m4 on us at all times either on patrol or walking around a base. At least EVERYONE i know has left it somewhere and someone had to say "Dude where is your rifle?". When its an assault rifle that can be unslung or set aside when doing something its easier to be left or forgotten about than a pistol that is holstered on the hip or waist. All this isnt an excuse and the mistake isnt excusable but give em a brake.

Speaking of this sort of thing, I have searched several times for a follow-up to the Portland LEO that left a Glock in a restroom of a hospital and have found nothing. The news at the time said that they were not releasing her name right away, but that everything would be made clear at some point. Has anyone seen further information?

Why? That same cop would be more than happy to plant your face in the dirt and run you through the mill had you made the same absent minded "honest mistake" on his turf...

I am not sure about. I have never had a unpleasant experience with a cop. Even when I got a reward for my driving skills. I think the cop's buddies will remember this for a long time and on the right occasion remind the cop of the event.

If anything it is a reminder for all of us of the old cliche', "familiarity breeds contempt." Firearms and forgetfulness can be a deadly combination. The basic rules always apply.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top