JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Letter from Rick Larson. Anyone running against him gets my vote.

"Thank you for contacting me about ongoing gun-violence in our country. I appreciate hearing from you on this important issue.

Within the halls of Congress my colleagues and I are taking place in an important debate on the role and prevalence of guns in our society. From the attack on Congresswoman Giffords that left six dead to the shootings in Colorado, Wisconsin, Oregon and Connecticut, and most recently at the Navy Yard in Washington, D.C., it is too painfully clear that we must take meaningful action to make our communities safer. The 2008 Skagit County mass shootings that killed six brought this type of tragedy to our home. No single law can prevent the actions of a madman, but that is no excuse to not take action.

I continue to hold my position that Congress should reinstate the assault weapons ban and ban high-capacity ammunition clips above 10 rounds per clip, as proposed by Rep. McCarthy. These military-grade weapons serve no legitimate purpose in civilian life.

We must close the gun show and private sale loopholes and strengthen background check requirements to make sure that criminals and the mentally ill are unable to purchase guns.

Gun safety is part, but not all of the solution. Mental illness has been shown to be a factor in some of these mass shootings. Mental illnesses are often misunderstood and under-diagnosed. Health providers need to give mental health the same attention that physical health is given. Congress should direct more research into mental illness and provide more funding for effective care of mentally ill patients.

We have not seen the last of violent crimes in our country, but if Congress and the President act, we can make our communities safer and shrink this cycle of violence.

Again, thank you for contacting me on this issue. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future about this or any other issue."

Sincerely,

Rick Larsen
United States Representative
Washington State, 2nd District

Letter from Rick Larson. Anyone running against him gets my vote.

"Thank you for contacting me about ongoing gun-violence in our country. I appreciate hearing from you on this important issue.

Within the halls of Congress my colleagues and I are taking place in an important debate on the role and prevalence of guns in our society. From the attack on Congresswoman Giffords that left six dead to the shootings in Colorado, Wisconsin, Oregon and Connecticut, and most recently at the Navy Yard in Washington, D.C., it is too painfully clear that we must take meaningful action to make our communities safer. The 2008 Skagit County mass shootings that killed six brought this type of tragedy to our home. No single law can prevent the actions of a madman, but that is no excuse to not take action.

I continue to hold my position that Congress should reinstate the assault weapons ban and ban high-capacity ammunition clips above 10 rounds per clip, as proposed by Rep. McCarthy. These military-grade weapons serve no legitimate purpose in civilian life.

We must close the gun show and private sale loopholes and strengthen background check requirements to make sure that criminals and the mentally ill are unable to purchase guns.

Gun safety is part, but not all of the solution. Mental illness has been shown to be a factor in some of these mass shootings. Mental illnesses are often misunderstood and under-diagnosed. Health providers need to give mental health the same attention that physical health is given. Congress should direct more research into mental illness and provide more funding for effective care of mentally ill patients.

We have not seen the last of violent crimes in our country, but if Congress and the President act, we can make our communities safer and shrink this cycle of violence.

Again, thank you for contacting me on this issue. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future about this or any other issue."

Sincerely,

Rick Larsen
United States Representative
Washington State, 2nd District

HELLO.... 100% of the time mental issues have been the cause. He has terminal "Cranialrectomitis"

Thursday, February 6, 2014

Prag City, USA. A trip down memory lane for the Lairds of Fairfax. NRA endorses White House executive action to ban firearms.

"Today we begin to disarm the criminal and the careless and the insane. All of our people who are deeply concerned in this country about law and order should hail this day. . . Congress adopted most of our recommendations. But this bill--as big as this bill is--still falls short, because we just could not get the Congress to carry out the requests we made of them. I asked for the national registration of all guns and the licensing of those who carry those guns. For the fact of life is that there are over 160 million guns in this country--more firearms than families. If guns are to be kept out of the hands of the criminal, out of the hands of the insane, and out of the hands of the irresponsible, then we just must have licensing. If the criminal with a gun is to be tracked down quickly, then we must have registration in this country." -- Lyndon Johnson, Remarks Upon Signing the Gun Control Act of 1968, October 22, 1968.

As I mentioned the other day, I lucked into some back issues of American Rifleman at the thrift store. Regarding the NRA's positions on gun control from the period of the run-up to the adoption of the GCA 1968, I found this in the March 1968 issue:

Editorial: Restraint on TV, Cheap Handguns Wins Favor.

Most NRA members heartily endorse our February editorial suggestion that the White House initiate action to reduce firearms violence, to judge by early responses from across the Nation.

The editorial pointed out that Executive Orders could be issued, without any Congressional action, for the State Department to shut off importation of tons of cheap foreign pistols and for the Federal Communications Commission to restrain television violence that in some opinions stimulates crime.

Comments from NRA members included: ". . . Couldn't agree more if we had written it ourselves;" ". . . has my unequivocal support;" and "I agree completely . . ." Some, but not all, sent copies of their letters to the White House to get their sentiments on the record there.

Regarding a ban on cheap imported handguns, it should be pointed out that while the NRA upholds and protects normal civilian firearms activities, it does not necessarily approve of everything that goes "Bang!" It is on record against machine guns, sawed-off shoulder arms, antitank guns, mortars, bombs, and other devices that have no role in civilian sportsmanship.

Viewed realistically, junky .22 handguns that retail for as little as $7.98 -- we saw some tagged at that recently -- are in much the same category. They aren't suited for target shooting, handgun hunting, or police or protection purposes. Most honest-to-goodness gun owners wouldn't have one around. Yet the reckless use of such junk has harmed legitimate firearms ownership. Many are sold by mail. Therefore it is fortunate that the President, who protested "mail-order murder" in his State of the Union message, can apparently cut off their importation.

Yeah, you read it right. I certify that it is a correct copy. Unfortunately I do not have the February 1968 issue referred to.

Thursday, February 6, 2014

Prag City, USA. A trip down memory lane for the Lairds of Fairfax. NRA endorses White House executive action to ban firearms.

"Today we begin to disarm the criminal and the careless and the insane. All of our people who are deeply concerned in this country about law and order should hail this day. . . Congress adopted most of our recommendations. But this bill--as big as this bill is--still falls short, because we just could not get the Congress to carry out the requests we made of them. I asked for the national registration of all guns and the licensing of those who carry those guns. For the fact of life is that there are over 160 million guns in this country--more firearms than families. If guns are to be kept out of the hands of the criminal, out of the hands of the insane, and out of the hands of the irresponsible, then we just must have licensing. If the criminal with a gun is to be tracked down quickly, then we must have registration in this country." -- Lyndon Johnson, Remarks Upon Signing the Gun Control Act of 1968, October 22, 1968.

As I mentioned the other day, I lucked into some back issues of American Rifleman at the thrift store. Regarding the NRA's positions on gun control from the period of the run-up to the adoption of the GCA 1968, I found this in the March 1968 issue:

Editorial: Restraint on TV, Cheap Handguns Wins Favor.

Most NRA members heartily endorse our February editorial suggestion that the White House initiate action to reduce firearms violence, to judge by early responses from across the Nation.

The editorial pointed out that Executive Orders could be issued, without any Congressional action, for the State Department to shut off importation of tons of cheap foreign pistols and for the Federal Communications Commission to restrain television violence that in some opinions stimulates crime.

Comments from NRA members included: ". . . Couldn't agree more if we had written it ourselves;" ". . . has my unequivocal support;" and "I agree completely . . ." Some, but not all, sent copies of their letters to the White House to get their sentiments on the record there.

Regarding a ban on cheap imported handguns, it should be pointed out that while the NRA upholds and protects normal civilian firearms activities, it does not necessarily approve of everything that goes "Bang!" It is on record against machine guns, sawed-off shoulder arms, antitank guns, mortars, bombs, and other devices that have no role in civilian sportsmanship.

Viewed realistically, junky .22 handguns that retail for as little as $7.98 -- we saw some tagged at that recently -- are in much the same category. They aren't suited for target shooting, handgun hunting, or police or protection purposes. Most honest-to-goodness gun owners wouldn't have one around. Yet the reckless use of such junk has harmed legitimate firearms ownership. Many are sold by mail. Therefore it is fortunate that the President, who protested "mail-order murder" in his State of the Union message, can apparently cut off their importation.

Yeah, you read it right. I certify that it is a correct copy. Unfortunately I do not have the February 1968 issue referred to.

So, what's the problem? Posting 45+ year old news serves no purpose today The NRA has changed their stance now. Now it's "Stand Your Ground" no more compromises.

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
Defender of Freedom Award
NRA Recruiter
Second Amendment Foundation Member
Washington Arms Collectors Member
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Member

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top