JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
1575757819033.png
Ura-Ki
This looks exactly like my first Stingray in 1968:s0139:
Except mine had a sissy-bar on the back..

One of the things we use to do, was on a Friday night when everyone was cruising the strip. A bunch of us on our bikes would go down there along the strip and hang out. We waited for the guys that liked to break traction, the ones that liked to race from stoplight to stoplight. We sat along the strip, side by side, and when they come along, we started flipping them off. We wanted the to chase us. And they did. We took off in all directions. Down alleys, through yards. Before we knew it, some had 2-3 cars chasing them at once. It wasn't long we got so scared, we didn't know who was chasing us and who wasn't. LOL!!

Garden hose water is the absolute best in summertime heat. Especially because it allows a young boy to get hydrated without answering all of a watchful mother's questions in the kitchen.

Garden hose water is the absolute best in summertime heat. Especially because it allows a young boy to get hydrated without answering all of a watchful mother's questions in the kitchen.
And it didn't necessarily have to be your own hose. Nobody cared cuz we turned the water off when we were done.

My first car was a powder-blue '61 Impala. Had an aftermarket air conditioner in it, which was great in the humidity of the South. Great little car.

Yep, that's required equipment down there for sure. My first car was a 68 mustang with two knobs for the air conditioning they were called window cranks plus the wing windows were a god send. LOL:s0070::s0070::s0070:

I grew up next to a 36 hole golf course and nothing ticks off a golfer more then if a someone messes with his game.
Just for kicks, my best friend and I would take the putting green hole flag and jam it into the green 20 feet away from the hole and then lay low to watch the next group of golfers pitch up onto the green and into the wrong corner, usually near a backside sand trap.
I learned a lot of cuss words those days.

Last Edited:
Giggen frogs, peeling and dryen chittum bark, sneaking into the high school foot ball games, trying to ride the neighbors greasy sheep at night.. Sleeping out side all summer long, swimming and rafting the pond.
Squeeking windows at Halloween (sewing thread and a thumb tack, you could make a neighbors windows squeak from across the street and drive em nuts)
I peeled a lot of Chittum when I was a kid.

Remember the PSA 'Lock your car. Take your keys.'?

I never saw that but it was after I went away to college that I learned that the correct place to leave your keys was not the ignition. It still haunts me because now I can never find them.

Before cars though -- firecrackers and cowpies. Sending bubblegum flying never got old.

I found a Sears Screamer 3 speed "Drag Bike" at a yard sale years ago for $10 bucks and am restoring it! Back in the early 70's it was THE bike all the cool cats rode, and I always wanted one back then!
View attachment 638637

I had a bike alot like this when I was a kid it was called a Demon purchased from western auto if i remember correctly about 1968ish

Last Edited:
Yep, that's required equipment down there for sure. My first car was a 68 mustang with two knobs for the air conditioning they were called window cranks plus the wing windows were a god send. LOL:s0070::s0070::s0070:
Yup! I had a 65 with a 289 C4 auto..it was beat to hell too..it was 10 years old when I got it for $750:s0139:

Yup! I had a 65 with a 289 C4 auto..it was beat to hell too..it was 10 years old when I got it for $750:s0139:

I got mine in 75 for $675, paid $75 a month. Mine also had a 289 C4 auto, was in great condition with 56k miles and only one dent in the top of driver's door (couldn't figure out how that happened either)... I drove it like I stole it!!!;)

I peeled a lot of Chittum when I was a kid.

???....... Overview. Cascara sagrada meaning "sacred bark" is a large deciduous shrub/tree found in Pacific Northwest forests. Cascara bark (or "chittum") has been used by Native Americans for hundreds of years as a natural laxative and has been marketed by the pharmaceutical industry since the late 1800s.

:s0153:

We always drank straight out of a small streams that surfaced from under ground. ,creeks rivers , and not once did anyone get sick.

We used to get way down on the ground and drink from crystal clear, ice cold springs coming out of the rock in the Wasatch Mountains of Utah.

Early on, dad, being the frugal child of the Great Depression he was, and uncle, fabricated their own "Tote Goats",
Commercial version.
1575827588774.png

from the ground up, bending steel pipe and welding, and putting together and creating everything you see below. All in his and/or uncles garages.

SCAN0010.JPG

Yeah, that's me, 1962 at 7yo. These things were used for deer hunting. Dad wasn't hunting after I was born I don't think. As far as I know he only ever shot one deer. He used a pattern 14 Enfield he personally sporterized around 1949-50 AFAIK. I have that gun in the safe.

These would get loaded in the back of a pick-up. I remember riding with him, just like that, in the hills and mountains surrounding the Salt Lake Valley. When we had to climb he'd tell me to "LEAN FORWARD!". Later on when Honda came out with the Honda 55 around 1964 he musta got rid of the his tote goats for one of them. For those that aren't familiar with these bikes, the Honda 55s had a large sprocket bolted to the rear hub behind the drive sprocket, a tool kit in a side compartment and an extra length of chain in the swing arm cross over tube. When you got to the point of needing a lower gear ratio to get into the hairy stuff on the trail you would park the bike. Get out the tool kit, find the master link in the chain and break it there. Remove the four bolts that held the sprocket to the hub and bolt it over the smaller drive sprocket. Add the extra length of chain and you would now have a very low gear ratio for slow climbing/crawling. When the Honda 90 came out dad got one of them, and I got the 55. I was probably 10. We had a 1964 Ford Econoline that would fit the two bikes comfortably in the back.

It was a pretty regular thing going on the weekends to the mountains somewhere and exploring all kinds of dirt roads and trails. There were hundreds of old abandoned mines in the mountains surrounding the valley. Mining was so big the Salt Lake Valley had it's own powder manufacturer. "The Bacchus Works" produced Hercules powder in the 1930s. Some small mines were still being worked though. You could tell from the claim nailed near the entrance with the date and yardage worked. You had to work a mine so many yards a year to keep the claim active.

After awhile dad got a new Honda 90 and I got his old yellow one. I still had the same Honda through high school. Though I wasn't allowed to take it to school, I road it all over otherwise. To work and back when I turned 16 and got my DL, and all over the hills and open areas in my free time. After high school I took some small engine school where I rebuilt the badly worn motor on that Honda 90 and rode it a bunch more. I worked at a couple of Honda shops wrenching for ten years. I got an XL 250 right off.. Built it for trail riding and really ran around then. A 90 mile ride starting before day light and ending at dusk, over paved, dirt and trails wasn't uncommon. I rode that bike until i moved to Portland in June 1983. I never rode it here because they were going to make me get insurance, put the turn signals back on and take a special drivers test. It wouldn't have worked anyway, I wouldn't have been one to drive 30-40 miles just to get to a dirt road.

Please forgive my LOOONG arsed ramble, and the less than sharp grammar and punctuation. It's what happens when someone brings up the topic. :D

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top