JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Another thread got me to thinking about some of the stuff we did as kids or you just dont see it as much if at all now days. I remember riding our bikes everywhere as a kid. Setting up jumps to see who could fly the furthest. We would grab our poles and ride across town to go fishing. I cant count how many bb gun fights we had as kids. Going to the drive in was always a good time. In high school we had guns in our trucks incase there was a turkey to be had going home.

The good old days for sure. What did you do as kid..... Almost forgot putting your tongue on the frozen flag pole and yes we said the pledge of allegiance at that flag pole.

All of the above including being introduced to music (rock n roll to be precise)....
We dressed like soldiers to played war in the woods and captured the enemy more times than we were captured.;)
Then girls and cars invaded my childhood...:D

One I miss every year is Halloween. For years we looked forward to this for weeks. Would spend a lot of time making our costumes. Parents would send us on our way at dark. Now most are afraid to allow this. Last few years only a trickle of kids and no one without parents any more. This year not a single one. Damn shame that animals ruined this for the kids and for the adults who enjoyed seeing the kids going door to door for treats.

Giggen frogs, peeling and dryen chittum bark, sneaking into the high school foot ball games, trying to ride the neighbors greasy sheep at night.. Sleeping out side all summer long, swimming and rafting the pond.
Squeeking windows at Halloween (sewing thread and a thumb tack, you could make a neighbors windows squeak from across the street and drive em nuts)

Riding bikes EVERYWHERE. Building model cars. Sleeping in the tent we pitched on top of our 3 story treehouse. Capture the flag in the woods. Riding an SL70 around the neighboring strawberry fields. Canoeing in Beaverton Creek (we just called it the creek). Go carts on the undeveloped cul-de-sacs that are now Movies on TV. Skiing in the Willamette west of Newberg. Camping everywhere.

Riding my bike to True Value, buying a box of .22 and some licorice with money I made mowing lawns. All the while my trusty Montgomery Ward .22 was slung on my back and nobody cared. It wasn't even THAT long ago.

Dirt clod fights, Honda 90 rides, wheelies on Sting Rays, building plastic model cars and planes, kick the can, playing first bounce or fly, plastic army men, corner candy store, swimming in whatever body of water there was and just plain being outside until dinner and then sometimes afterwards until dark.

Last Edited:
The day I got my Team Murray SX2 bike... the world got a whole lot smaller.
.. well at least Kelso/Longview did.
Spent my Paper route money on sports cards and sbarro pizza slices at the mall. Good times.

Not mine, but exactly what I had
4A32A488-5289-4E0C-B27E-E135FA66F27E.jpeg

Then I really turned it up and got a GT for Christmas a few years later...
Just like this one... A6D7A1B6-5DB7-46BF-BD74-20E42B637FED.jpeg

I lived about a mile out of town up some of the steepest hills in the area, so it was a whole lot more fun riding into town than getting back home. Ya my paper route was 100% on steepazz hills, so my bike wasn't really an option. I had to walk it.

Spent my Paper route money on sports cards and sbarro pizza slices at the mall. Good times.

View attachment 638330

Just like this one...View attachment 638336

I lived about a mile out of town up some of the steepest hills in the area, so it was a whole lot more fun riding into town than getting back home. Ya my paper route was 100% on steepazz hills, so my bike wasn't really an option. I had to walk it.

Nice. Did they make a boys version of the GT?

:D

View attachment 638330

Just like this one...View attachment 638336

Paper routes are child abuse now, it turns kids into gun nuts :rolleyes:

Paper routes are child abuse now, it turns kids into gun nuts :rolleyes:
I actually lost my route to some old lady with a car.
I was among the last of the kids that carried for the Daily News if I recall correctly.
They went to early AM delivery... we were out, and the puzzification of American youth began.

Hearing my mom whistle for us to come home from a million miles away (it seemed). Dirt clod fights. Playing in the storm drains for YEARS before it was developed. Riding our bikes EVERYWHERE. Skateboarding to the beach to grab a few waves. Building forts. Just plain being outside. We weren't allowed to be in doors......GOD, the good old times.....

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top