JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It was literally up hill both ways in the pouring rain for me.
Google "Aldercrest landslide" That was one of the neighborhoods I delivered.
So steep that in the 90's a bunch of the houses slid down the hill and they condemned the whole area.

Ah, totally forgot about my paper route. Getting up at the bubblegum crack of dawn to fold and rubberband and stuff into the handlebars of my bike.....thanks for reminding me of that

Paper routes are child abuse now, it turns kids into gun nuts :rolleyes:
I started my gun buying with paper route money. I had massive routes in awful neighborhoods but the thing was, most gangsters were sleeping at 4am when I was out and about. But I just might resemble your remark. I delivered for 1 paper in the morning and another in the afternoon. Same area. Afternoon route was way more dangerous. That's the one I got beat up on a few times and stabbed in the shoulder.

Riding Grandpa's horses. When he finally got saddles, we felt pretty rich.

Exploring, camping, and hunting in the Big Thicket of southeast Texas.

We had it made, and didn't know it.

We rode our bikes all summer as kids and did not have worry about being kidnapped or anything back in the day. My parents worked but funds were tight since me and my two sisters. My dad knew a guy from work that would build bicycles out old bicycle spare parts for $15 per bike. They were 20" bicycles and we chose the color and if it for a boy or girl.

This was in the early 1970s.

I would have liked a Schwinn 5 speed bike with a sissy bar but made due with what the funds allowed and enjoyed my childhood. Great memories.

384B36B2-EE34-45E7-AB26-57DC933C9DFA.png

I had a few friends that had this bike and they let me ride it.

Hearing my mom whistle for us to come home from a million miles away (it seemed). Dirt clod fights. Playing in the storm drains for YEARS before it was developed. Riding our bikes EVERYWHERE. Skateboarding to the beach to grab a few waves. Building forts. Just plain being outside. We weren't allowed to be in doors......GOD, the good old times.....
Ahh yes. I had 2 younger brothers, and we lived out in the woods around our house..building forts. And of course we got Dirty... wether we had mud fights or not.
We couldn't go in the house for dinner until mom hosed us off, and she was usually pizzed because we were wearing our good cloths, or shoes or whatever and she had to wash it. "Just wait till your Father gets home"
Which terrified us because there was a real chance we'd get the belt...
And it wasn't child abuse.. it was responsible parenting.

Another thread got me to thinking about some of the stuff we did as kids or you just dont see it as much if at all now days. I remember riding our bikes everywhere as a kid. Setting up jumps to see who could fly the furthest. We would grab our poles and ride across town to go fishing. I cant count how many bb gun fights we had as kids. Going to the drive in was always a good time. In high school we had guns in our trucks incase there was a turkey to be had going home.

The good old days for sure. What did you do as kid..... Almost forgot putting your tongue on the frozen flag pole and yes we said the pledge of allegiance at that flag pole.
Well, Xbox wasn't around back then and we were all skinny too.

Living in the hinterland, lots of fond memories; hiking, hunting, fishing, exploring the forests, dunes, lake and seashores. Being able to find complete solicitude away from the noise in order to read, pray, or just contemplate.

Or times when the whole family labored together at some task, such as the large garden, fishing, logging, etc. I have a vivid memory of working in the garden on a warm day, with my whole family; father, mother with a baby slung on her back, the rest of my siblings. And the times me, my father, and/or one of my older brothers shooting from the deck across the lake to targets on the opposite shore. For most of my childhood, we never had television, so time was occupied with labors, reading, etc.

Thank you for this thread; it brought back memories that make me smile. :)

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top