JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
2 limits of razors.
Had to get them at night and they where on the small size but it makes me feel like I put a small dent in the price of the fishing & hunting license. image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Dug for razor clams my first trip to Alaska at Anchor Point, those buggers can dig faster with their foot than I can with a shovel. I was so worthless at it I got demoted to bucket man.
Once my ego got over it they tasted just as good if I'd followed them half way to China.

Thanks, we were there just last weekend, But it was high tide so no one was digging/sucking.

Got my license and "crab tag" already (and I'll open carry, so I won't need any special permit for a concealed clam gun... whoo-hoo!). Before I invest, are those new stainless jobs way superior to the PVC classics?

Thanks, we were there just last weekend, But it was high tide so no one was digging/sucking.

Got my license and "crab tag" already (and I'll open carry, so I won't need any special permit for a concealed clam gun... whoo-hoo!). Before I invest, are those new stainless jobs way superior to the PVC classics?

It was REALLY good last Friday! We usually go home the long route through Garabaldi and get a couple of dozen oysters from the Garabaldi Cannery http://www.thegaribaldicannery.com/ Seeing as were down there.

If you're on oyster fan something you need to know...As far as I know, anywhere in PDX that you buy fresh in-the-shell oysters are now getting them from local "Purveyors" tat keep the oysters in saline tanks. Not that they are bad, just that the oysters are not as good as ones that haven't been tanked.

I think it was Gearhart where my GF and I saw cars on the beach a few weeks ago. If we hit that at low tide this weekend, is it likely we'll get some clams?

I bought a cheapo PVC clam gun and a bag yesterday, stopping short of investing $90 on stainless steel. Did well digging them with a little shovel last time I tried in the 70's.

Was pleased to discover Cabela's gives a military discount. Not huge, but even 5% beats a poke in the eye with a sharp stick. Do they do that for ammo too?

Last Edited:
We go to sunset beach Teflon. You can go out to the sand in Gearheart, DelRay Beach, Sunset Beach, and there's access at the Peter Iredale and I think maybe one other access a little further up. You can access the beach bot not drive on it from Seaside. You can drive all the way from Gearheart to the Peter Iredale on the beach.

This weekend will be good, (and crowded). Get there at least an hour before low tide. Realize there may be a time correction for the area depending on what tide book you may have.

And as I mention above, if you like oysters take the long way back and get some in Garabaldi. I won't buy in Warrenton anymore, they gouge as far as I'm concerned. If you want oysters from Willapa Bay and don't mind the extra drive go into Illwaco to "Ole Bob's", and come back over the bridge and take hwy 30/Longview Bridge to I-5 and down.

Good Luck!

Thanks Mike, we ended up doing well 3-4 miles north of the beach access at Sunset yesterday.

Saw nothing for an hour right before low tide, sort of staying in our own area, didn't want to intrude on others. The girls were shivering and we were about ready to bag it, but we got curious to see what the growing frenzy was about half a mile south and wandered over there.

100 people going at it. Half of them must've limited already and were just standing around with beers - "here's one, two more over here..." drawing circles to mark them for anyone nearby. Really cool crowd, kids, geezers like me and everyone in between.

Right at low tide, 2 of us dug out 20 in probably 20 minutes. Figured that was plenty and took 'em home to clean.

So now I have questions: Given how desolate it was for miles in both directions north and south, what drew all those people to that particular spot? Would we have done as well elsewhere right at a low tide? I saw no particular landmark or terrain feature that would make me stop there (just the sudden mob). I'm sort of kicking myself now for not noting my exact mileage on the way out. Or will they all be somewhere else tomorrow?

Last Edited:
Well, there's these sort of sand bars that extend out a little further into the surf. THAT tends to be where the clams will be. Seems at times your walking along, stomping, pounding, whatever and there's nothing showing. Then, as if by magic the things start showing all over the place. I've never dug on a weekend, and don't care to. I'll also stay at the edge of a crowd of people rather than walk right in, but the crowd is fluid a space opens up.

If you stand right at the edge of the surf and watch as the water goes out with each wave you'll see a little "V", which is an indicator of the very tip of the neck of a clam. You get to it quick and put the gun in and get it. They're a lot closer to the surface below the surf line too. One decent plunge and you've got it.

The clams don't move much as I hear. Sometime they show good, and others, for whatever reasons, pounding surf, pouring rain, won't show at all! But from my experience the damn things are ALL OVER once you're low enough on the beach! ( Minus tide) I've been down, (2hr drive) and stood there like an idiot staring at the sand for another two hours, to come away with six clams between us! :mad: All the while knowing that there are HUNDREDS, thousands? within a small area...Not a one going to put it's hootie up to show us where it is!

Glad you did good Sir....I always like to rest the clams for a couple of days. They seem to stay alive, or at least they move when you bread them.

Early, heading out for some of our own clams soon!

Though two of us got 20 razor clams in 20 minutes, the mission last weekend had some learning curve. I assumed that all of those "vees" I noticed in the runoff were just black and brown pebbles. All identical size. Wonder how many clams I walked past...

My last time clamming before that was 1969 in Barkley Sound by Bamfield (on Vancouver Island) on a kayak/camping trip. We'd walk down to the water at low tide and the "gooeyducks" would squirt from their holes. No mistaking anything there. A few scoops with a spade meant supper. We ate a LOT of clams for a week and a half.

That was great until we discovered oysters and all 10 of us got sick for a couple days. Actually 11, the dog puked too.

barkley sound.jpg

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews