JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Tried out a Serpa holster, I didn't mind the release I have long fingers so even if my finger slipped off the frame it would just hit the trigger guard. But it's getting sent back to amazon because it wouldn't reliably latch when I reholstered it. I think I'll try the safariland 6378 next. I'm wanting something with a retention device so that if my gun catches on something it won't be able to get pulled out and preferably have it lock automatically upon re-holstering.

I always liked Fobus paddle holsters. However, I don't own any princess guns nor do I go rolling around in the dirt on the mean streets of Beaverton. However, for a budget of fifty bucks there is a lot out there. Uncle Mike's makes some nice products. Try searching on ebay for OWB holsters and see what comes up.

I'm wanting something with a retention device so that if my gun catches on something it won't be able to get pulled out and preferably have it lock automatically upon re-holstering.

Gonna be hard to find under $50...

Consider this leather slide holster from Blackhawk, $87.
I have one for a 1911 for woods use, I dont like thumb-breaks but they are the best for when retention is more important than access, like hiking in difficult terrain. Retention even without the thumb-break fastened is actually strong on this too...
Super comfortable, and easy on/off. The only thing I dont like (well, besides the thumb-break) is it doesnt protect the muzzle and front sight on a govt or commander 1911... (Fits any 1911)

<broken link removed>

BH_420109BK_R_holsters_front.jpg.jpg

Super cheap, blackhawk serpa holster. Some 1911s are a bit snug, but they fit.
About $20 if you get the sporter version.
I have one of those, the CQC model so it came with the belt and the paddle attachment, that I'm thinking of sending back, it doesn't always lock without having to fiddle with it. I looked at it last night and I think I found a way to fix it so might try that tonight but in looking to see if it can be dissasembled, it seems alot of training places don't allow them without disabling the lock, although with the frame safety of a 1911 I don't see the problem. Seems the safariland 6378 has a problem with disengaging the safety which also doesn't seem like a problem and might actually be a plus.

Edit: I've got a Safariland 6378 on the way, I'll compare the two and send one of them back

Last Edited:
I have one of those, the CQC model so it came with the belt and the paddle attachment, that I'm thinking of sending back, it doesn't always lock without having to fiddle with it. I looked at it last night and I think I found a way to fix it so might try that tonight but in looking to see if it can be dissasembled, it seems alot of training places don't allow them without disabling the lock, although with the frame safety of a 1911 I don't see the problem. Seems the safariland 6378 has a problem with disengaging the safety which also doesn't seem like a problem and might actually be a plus.

Edit: I've got a Safariland 6378 on the way, I'll compare the two and send one of them back
I bought the 568 series because it is soft, the 6378 looked like hard plastic. Let me know if this is untrue. I like the looks and retention.

Careful not to go all Tex Grebner with the Serpa :D

Seriously. He switched guns & holsters while practicing his draw & pop and IIRC he went from a Glock & 5.11 Thumbdrive to a Kimber & Serpa combo - the motion of deactivating the thumb lock om tge 5.11 is the same as sweeping a 1911 safety off during the draw. And he let his finger drift into the trigger guard at the same time thus becoming an internet legend.

I have owned Serpa, 5.11, Galco, Bianchi and Safariland retention holsters - the Safarilands are my favorites. Easiest to use, very secure.

The rotating hood safariland gear is good stuff. So is the ejection port lock.

So I think I'm going to keep the safariland, @Pete F it is hard plastic but it has a suede/felt type lining so it's a little bit easier on the finish. The paddle attachment is comfortable strong side and the belt attachment is comfortable either side, but most importantly it reliably locks and unlocks without having to fiddle with it.

So I think I'm going to keep the safariland, @Pete F it is hard plastic but it has a suede/felt type lining so it's a little bit easier on the finish.

Actually, that is not correct. Suede/felt linings (and this goes for regular leather holster, too) get embedded with dirt and grime and become harder on a guns finish, not to mention they hold water and sweat in place and we all know what that does to a gun's finish. Many "plastic" holsters retain the weapon at the trigger guard and/or ejection port and that is the only contact with the gun until it is unholstered.

Last Edited:
I haven't found a plastic holster that holds the gun in place like a leather or soft holster. They always rattle around. That includes my Fobus holster for my Walther PPK/s. When I pull it out, the trigger guard scrapes plastic off. If they can't make a hard holster that fits that pistol, something is wrong. I even tried heating and reshaping the holster. I'll keep the inside clean. The 568 non-leather does not retain moisture.

Actually, that is not correct. Suede/felt linings (and this goes for regular leather holster, too) get embedded with dirt and grime and become harder on a guns finish, not to mention they hold water and sweat in place and we all know what that does to a gun's finish. Many "plastic" holsters retain the weapon at the trigger guard and/or ejection port and that is the only contact with the gun until it is unholstered.
I guess that makes sense, sweat shouldn't be an issue since its OWB. Water could be more of an issue but I'm not really going to use it as a duty holster, it's mostly for competition so I'll be cleaning and oilling the gun after use, and for the woods if it gets wet it gets cleaned. In any case I'm not overly concerned with holster wear anyway.

I haven't found a plastic holster that holds the gun in place like a leather or soft holster. They always rattle around. That includes my Fobus holster for my Walther PPK/s. When I pull it out, the trigger guard scrapes plastic off. If they can't make a hard holster that fits that pistol, something is wrong. I even tried heating and reshaping the holster. I'll keep the inside clean. The 568 non-leather does not retain moisture.
The safariland does have an adjustment for retention to keep it from rattling. I have mine set pretty loose so it's quicker to draw.

The safariland does have an adjustment for retention to keep it from rattling. I have mine set pretty loose so it's quicker to draw.
The Fobus has retention adjustment also. Doesn't keep it from moving around the retention point. Maybe it is just Fobus. I hate to take my guns into a store to see if they fit a certain holster. Just bought a Bianchi X16 shoulder holster for the Walther. I will let you know how it works. I do really like the paddle holsters, but can't find one to fit the PPK/s.

a good kydex holster wont let the gun rattle around if its molded properly to the profile of the gun. This shows there are a lot of poor designs out there selling for good money.

I dont remember if the OP found his holster he was looking for but here is a good simple OWB holster from a quality reputable company... for only 50 bucks.
SnapSlide OWB Holster

Pic shown with a Sig but they sell them for a 1911....
snapslide_combatcut_wg_1536x1100.jpg

Last Edited:
Serpa...for the uninformed...

The full version...

As seen in the first video - this is why I really dislike these holsters. Even the spokesman - who we are to assume has used this thing more than the average guy carrying one - cannot help from curling that trigger finger inward. It seems he realizes this during the draw but came damn close to Tex Grebner-ing himself while doing the promo video for the thing o_O

I have owned the Serpa - a couple actually. I wanted to give them a fair shake but really they are dangerous in design. There is a good reason a lot of ranges and instructors ban them. Its one thing to keep the finger out and straight on a slow draw. Speed things up and its another story - muscles tense and the trigger finger has a tendency to want to curl inward. If the design had the button set higher toward the trigger guard I could see it being good. As it is on most guns its just too damn close to the trigger - you can say its a training issue but even the "professionals" have had incidents or close calls with them.

And that is not even touching on incidents where the lock mechanism is reported to have been jammed by debris preventing the gun from coming out.

And yes I know the military (Airforce) issued them for a while - seems odd that they did since they are so worried about soldiers shooting themselves and others they carry empty chambers in double action guns with the safety on most of the time. The Safariland ALS and SLS are far safer and just as easy. Same with the Bladetech / 5.11 thumb drive and Bianchi auto lok though the latter is not as easy to use as the others and does not allow a full grip at the beginning of the drawstroke.

For concealed carriers or most OC scenarios a good thumb break is all the retention you will need.

Another failing of the Serpa is debris can get in the lock mechanism and jam it up making it impossible to draw the weapon.

Bottom line it is a POS design that has been banned by multiple trainers and LE agencies including FLETC

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top