JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I bought my first semi-auto shotgun recently, a Stoeger 3000. It's an intertia system. Defnitely did not cycle my 00 Buck that was 1250 FPS (Fiocchi 00 Defense). Like a true gun owner, I THEN read the manual. Says it needs min of 1 oz of shot and 3 drams of powder to run reliably. Anyone have recommendations on exactly what brand & type of 00 Buck would run in this? Not finding luck trying to look up ammo specs online and most stores are totally empty so I can't physically look at the boxes. thanks!

Does it take 3" shells or do you want 2 3/4"?

This is what I use:

16713.jpg

Only factory buckshot that I have on hand.

Remington 00Buck.jpg

Edit to add:
I bought 20 boxes of these Remington )) buck several years ago for $10 each, and gave four boxes to a brother in LaGrande. Just looked now and they are out of stock everywhere, but the price - where shown - are about $25 a box!

Last Edited:
If it doesn't work with buck shot just get some water fowl loads .
#1 #2 shot . Same power just more bbs.
And smaller.
In a home defense situation.
I'm guessing it will take place within 10 yard's.

The 12 gage is very versatile.
Depends on what type of barrel you have.
Obviously a Rifle barrel is made for Savo slugs or rifled rounds.
But if you have a barrel that is not rifled.
You should be able to shoot any rounds out there.
But if you're barrel has a Choke system on it.
Then you should not use buckshot or slug's in a full choke.
And you should check the volocty of the rounds to shoot though a full choke.
But then we come back again to home defense distance .
A duck hunting gun or a defense short Barrel shotgun. Within 10 yard's.
Going to have basically the same results.
A DEAD BAD GUY.
Obviously the short Barrel shotgun is going to be easy to use in confined place.

While many support the use of #4 Buck, where over-penetration is a concern one could go to #4 shot in a high base "express" duck and pheasant load. They are plenty nasty at close range.

Also, I don't recommend 3" magnum shells unless you are somewhere like I am; 100 yards between the house and the property line, dealing with the possibility of bears and cougars. The recoil difference is substantial. Especially true with shotguns like my Shockwaves.

I load my 18" SLP with Federal LE127 9 pellet buckshot. Not sure if your semi-auto shotgun is picky or not. I use full power buckshot that has a minimum velocity of 1325fps or more. I have some Winchester segmenting slugs as well and also have some Federal XM127 shells that work fine too.

For practice I use Rio Royal full power 9 pellet buckshot shells since Federal LE rounds are more expensive to practice with.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads