JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I bought my first semi-auto shotgun recently, a Stoeger 3000. It's an intertia system. Defnitely did not cycle my 00 Buck that was 1250 FPS (Fiocchi 00 Defense). Like a true gun owner, I THEN read the manual. Says it needs min of 1 oz of shot and 3 drams of powder to run reliably. Anyone have recommendations on exactly what brand & type of 00 Buck would run in this? Not finding luck trying to look up ammo specs online and most stores are totally empty so I can't physically look at the boxes. thanks!

Does it take 3" shells or do you want 2 3/4"?

This is what I use:

16713.jpg

Only factory buckshot that I have on hand.

Remington 00Buck.jpg

Edit to add:
I bought 20 boxes of these Remington )) buck several years ago for $10 each, and gave four boxes to a brother in LaGrande. Just looked now and they are out of stock everywhere, but the price - where shown - are about $25 a box!

Last Edited:
If it doesn't work with buck shot just get some water fowl loads .
#1 #2 shot . Same power just more bbs.
And smaller.
In a home defense situation.
I'm guessing it will take place within 10 yard's.

The 12 gage is very versatile.
Depends on what type of barrel you have.
Obviously a Rifle barrel is made for Savo slugs or rifled rounds.
But if you have a barrel that is not rifled.
You should be able to shoot any rounds out there.
But if you're barrel has a Choke system on it.
Then you should not use buckshot or slug's in a full choke.
And you should check the volocty of the rounds to shoot though a full choke.
But then we come back again to home defense distance .
A duck hunting gun or a defense short Barrel shotgun. Within 10 yard's.
Going to have basically the same results.
A DEAD BAD GUY.
Obviously the short Barrel shotgun is going to be easy to use in confined place.

While many support the use of #4 Buck, where over-penetration is a concern one could go to #4 shot in a high base "express" duck and pheasant load. They are plenty nasty at close range.

Also, I don't recommend 3" magnum shells unless you are somewhere like I am; 100 yards between the house and the property line, dealing with the possibility of bears and cougars. The recoil difference is substantial. Especially true with shotguns like my Shockwaves.

I load my 18" SLP with Federal LE127 9 pellet buckshot. Not sure if your semi-auto shotgun is picky or not. I use full power buckshot that has a minimum velocity of 1325fps or more. I have some Winchester segmenting slugs as well and also have some Federal XM127 shells that work fine too.

For practice I use Rio Royal full power 9 pellet buckshot shells since Federal LE rounds are more expensive to practice with.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads