JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have been getting a lot of questions about the holsters I use in my videos from gun owners that are new to concealed carry. So many of them are under the impression you have to spend a lot of money to get a good holster.

I just posted a video regarding good holsters that can be purchased for under $50 on YouTube. It is geared towards first time carriers with the intention of helping them not make the same expensive holster related mistakes I did when I first started to carry.

YouTube - Good Holsters For Under $50

I only mentioned a few holsters from a few manufacturers. If anyone else has suggestions that fit the bill please list them both here and as a comment or video response on YouTube.

not to controdict anyone but i go for the best possibly holster, then worry about price, never compromise on a holster, ask others they'll agree. I love my crossbreed super tuck but it was about 30 or so dollars more than your looking to spend.

not to controdict anyone but i go for the best possibly holster, then worry about price, never compromise on a holster, ask others they'll agree. I love my crossbreed super tuck but it was about 30 or so dollars more than your looking to spend.

But there is where lies the rub. People start to think the expensive holsters are better so they start there and think these are the ones that are best for the job. In fact they seldom are. When you are paying a lot of money for a custom holster you are often paying for one thing...time. You are paying for the work hours of the person making the holster.

In reality (take it from a guy who makes custom furniture) when you buy custom you are seldom getting something that will work better than a quality mass produced item (at a much lower price)...you are usually getting details. You are getting better looking, more personalized, more involved pieces. They do not do the job any better, they just look better doing it.

Also, why would anyone buy the "best" item available if they do not even know if it is going to work out for them? Wouldn't it make sense to buy the less expensive model first and see how it works out then get into something more prestigious.

I have a box full of sub-$50 holsters in the closet. They worked, in the sense that they held a firearm. But they weren't comfortable or secure. Had I just started with a good holster I wouldn't have shelled out $80+ on the cheap ones. I'm interested in other's opinions though because it's hard to spend that kind of money when starting out.
The best I've used that is close to that amount is the comp tac ctac (now the MTAC) but that's more than $50. One thing that made a huge difference (perhaps more than the holster) is a gun belt. I'd rather have a cheap holster with a proper belt than an expensive holster struggling to be secured by a $10 wal-mart flimsy belt.

I have expensive holsters, inexpensive holsters, and everything in between.
My favorite by far is this:.

Galco Matrix, the single cheapest holster in my collection by at least $50.
I paid $24.99.
As long as I'm wearing a good gun belt, this holster is comfortable, secure, unobtrusive, and easy to draw from. More so than anything else I've been able to find.

I have a box full of sub-$50 holsters in the closet. They worked, in the sense that they held a firearm. But they weren't comfortable or secure. Had I just started with a good holster I wouldn't have shelled out $80+ on the cheap ones. I'm interested in other's opinions though because it's hard to spend that kind of money when starting out.
The best I've used that is close to that amount is the comp tac ctac (now the MTAC) but that's more than $50. One thing that made a huge difference (perhaps more than the holster) is a gun belt. I'd rather have a cheap holster with a proper belt than an expensive holster struggling to be secured by a $10 wal-mart flimsy belt.
$80 for an inexpensive holster? It seems like that is a contradiction.

It seems like you bought some pretty bad holsters. That is what this topic is about. Finding "good" holsters for under $50. I have many holsters under $50 that perform easily as well as my expensive holsters.

Theres these holsters its a knock off of the crossbreed supertuck, but i think it would work ok... its $50 here at a local shop we have here... ima try one out as soon as they get one in stock for my gun...
<broken link removed>

Uncle Mike's pocket holster for my TCP. $14.95 delivered. Works great, no printing, and comfortable enough for all day carry.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"LIFE IS NOT A JOURNEY TO THE GRAVE...WITH THE
INTENTION OF ARRIVING SAFELY IN A PRETTY AND WELL
PRESERVED BODY, BUT RATHER TO SKID IN BROADSIDE,
THOROUGHLY USED UP, TOTALLY WORN OUT, AND LOUDLY
PROCLAIMING----WOW----WHAT A RIDE!!!"

Had I just started with a good holster I wouldn't have shelled out $80+ on the cheap ones.

It seems like you bought some pretty bad holsters. That is what this topic is about. Finding "good" holsters for under $50. I have many holsters under $50 that perform easily as well as my expensive holsters.

I think he is saying he spent $80+ on multiple cheap holsters. I've done the same thing. In fact I've tried most of the holsters you feature in your video, and have decided against them after trying a Crossbreed for my XD40 (service) which could be carried more comfortably than my Kahr PM40 in a Galco Stow-N-Go.
It all comes down to personal preference of course and priorities. Getting my holster on and off quickly is a low priority. All day comfort, security (gun doesn't fall out), ease of draw, ease of re-holster and conceal-ability are my main concerns.

All the IWB holsters you showed are uncomfortable for me (the Galco Stow-N-Go being the worst), don't hold their shape when the gun is out (making re-holstering a pain) or are WAY too thick.
The bikini type OWB holsters you showed don't hold the gun well, don't hold their shape without the gun and would "tip out" on me as the day wore on.
I did have a a DeSantis thumb break model that ALMOST worked for me it was easy to draw and re-holster and secured the gun well. The problem was with the short length of the Kahr MK9 combined with the weight after walking 5-10 minutes the thing was pointing (about a 30 degree angle) at my hip. This might have been cured with an nice gun belt but I can't see spending $50+ on a gun belt to make a $40 holster work well when I could just spend $70 on a Crossbreed that works with any belt that fits my wardrobe.

believe it or not Triple K down in san diego offers a pretty good line up of holsters, got a nice shoulder rig and a belt holster for my 229 (nice real leather). Got dealer pricing because of my c&r ffl, spent a little over 100 for the two, Damn Shipping!!! (would have been just under a 100)

As long as I'm wearing a good gun belt, this holster is comfortable, secure, unobtrusive, and easy to draw from. More so than anything else I've been able to find.

You hit the nail on the head about the good belt. In my experience that is where most people make their mistake. They buy a decent holster, but then hang it on a cheap flimsy belt.

I would add Remora holsters. These holsters are made of a rubberized outer shell and stay where ever you place them IWB. Including frawstring sweat pants. 24.99-29.95 ea. Life time warranty

Originally Posted by DoubleTapDrew
Had I just started with a good holster I wouldn't have shelled out $80+ on the cheap ones.
Originally Posted by PlayboyPenguin

I think he is saying he spent $80+ on multiple cheap holsters. I've done the same thing. In fact I've tried most of the holsters you feature in your video, and have decided against them after trying a Crossbreed for my XD40 (service) which could be carried more comfortably than my Kahr PM40 in a Galco Stow-N-Go.
It all comes down to personal preference of course and priorities. Getting my holster on and off quickly is a low priority. All day comfort, security (gun doesn't fall out), ease of draw, ease of re-holster and conceal-ability are my main concerns.
Exactly. Probably spent at least $80 on the (multiple) cheap holsters I've tried and not liked, when I could have just started with a decent one (and then spent the $80 again for a good one). That wasted money could have gone towards a gunbelt and mag holder.

I suppose it's not all bad though. My DeSantis 'tuck this' became my bedside holster after the belt clip snapped off during normal use and I screwed it to the bed frame with wood screws.

Exactly. Probably spent at least $80 on the (multiple) cheap holsters I've tried and not liked, when I could have just started with a decent one (and then spent the $80 again for a good one). That wasted money could have gone towards a gunbelt and mag holder.

I suppose it's not all bad though. My DeSantis 'tuck this' became my bedside holster after the belt clip snapped off during normal use and I screwed it to the bed frame with wood screws.
So you bought multiple cheap holsters of the exact same style?

Without reading everything; You can find Good Inexspenvsive holsters and you can find expensive cheap holsters. I had an RKBA for my LCP when I had it and loved it. I've used and been happy with a little Galco for my Sig P230, but I have a VM2 coming for my EMP. Get what works, but don't let cost be the #1 factor involved.

You hit the nail on the head about the good belt. In my experience that is where most people make their mistake. They buy a decent holster, but then hang it on a cheap flimsy belt.

I made this mistake for a couple of years. Finally broke down and bought a $75 belt from a guy at one of the Albany gun shows (he's a local guy, he lives in Southern Oregon) and it makes all the difference. Here's the holster I use:

Split Decision

$37 + about $10 shipping.

So you bought multiple cheap holsters of the exact same style?
No, different styles. They were all nylon though, except for a plastic fobus OWB. I think leather or kydex is the way to go but those tend to get the price up, although there are some nice ones for under $50. I did discover two belt clips on an IWB holster is a very good thing, rather than a single one (the single clip ones I tried liked to rotate).
One holster I love, and is very cheap, is my desantis nemesis for a little pocket 380. More than worth the $20 or so they cost.
I like a good value but it can cost more in the long run if you buy cheap. I spent $20 on a fobus OWB holster, didn't like it, then spent $30 on a blackhawk serpa and love that. I like what you are doing though so please don't take it to mean I think you have to spend a lot of money. Making lower cost holster recommendations can help avoid the shoebox full of unused holsters in the closet people tend to accumulate before finding ones they like.

No, different styles. They were all nylon though, except for a plastic fobus OWB. I think leather or kydex is the way to go but those tend to get the price up, although there are some nice ones for under $50. I did discover two belt clips on an IWB holster is a very good thing, rather than a single one (the single clip ones I tried liked to rotate).
One holster I love, and is very cheap, is my desantis nemesis for a little pocket 380. More than worth the $20 or so they cost.
I like a good value but it can cost more in the long run if you buy cheap. I spent $20 on a fobus OWB holster, didn't like it, then spent $30 on a blackhawk serpa and love that. I like what you are doing though so please don't take it to mean I think you have to spend a lot of money. Making lower cost holster recommendations can help avoid the shoebox full of unused holsters in the closet people tend to accumulate before finding ones they like.

So, if you bought multiple different style before finding one that was right isn't it better that the ones that did not work out were cheap holsters and not expensive custom ones?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top