JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
http://www.wibw.com/home/headlines/...owed-him-to-dealy-armed-robber-314009921.html

More Video...
97126E0066EE4C5C88377FFD764022BD_7.jpg
Topeka man held armed robber at gunpoint
E8B38D6013D544D8835BA011507FC076.jpg
Academy Sports holdup
Academy-sports-robbery.jpg
(Courtesy: Bryan Hallman)

Stay Connected Anywhere

TOPEKA, Kan. (WIBW) -- 24 year old Joey Tapley was a key witness in Friday's armed robbery for weapons inside the Academy Sports and Outdoors store in Topeka.

He recalled the moments before the robbery, saying, "I was at the counter buying bullets with my cousin and I heard some loud bangs. I look up and they are just loading up weapons from the counter and then they run off and my instincts kicked in."

Tapley followed the three suspects described only as white males ages 16 or 17, after they stole several rifles and an undisclosed amount of cash. Once outside, Tapley pulled out his own weapon.

"I told him drop the gun man, mine is loaded , just drop the gun. We made eye contact for a second or two and he dropped two guns and ran," said Tapley.

Police officers arrested the teens along with an unidentified woman in the area of Southwest 6th and Fairlawn. The teenage boys were booked into the Juvenile Center on assault, burglary and robbery charges. The female was booked on conspiracy to commit aggravated robbery.

Tapley who carries his gun without a concealed carry permit says his heroics wouldn't have been possible without Governor Brownback's approval of the law that took effect just under 2 weeks ago on July 1.

"Thats why Kansas made the law. So citizens can carry and protect themselves and others. I guess my instincts just took over," said Tapley.

All the cash and rifles stolen were recovered by the Topeka police.

Kansas is just one of seven states to allow residents to carry concealed firearms without a permit.

Wow first I heard of these laws!
Thank you to those states recognizing that WE THE PEOPLE should be allowed our God given rights.

If the govt wishes to make our society more dangerous then the states should at least allow us to do what is necessary to keep ourselves protected.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top