JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was sighting in my Howa 1500 .30-06 yesterday for deer season. After the barrel warmed up it started walking all over the target. I had it free-floated by Allison & Carey a couple years ago, but didn't go hunting last year, and I haven't had time to go to the range this year. What I discovered was that the first 6 inches or so of the stock (from the fore-end) is indeed free-floating, but doesn't have enough clearance. I can only slip one dollar bill between the stock and barrel for that first 6 inches. Two bills is no-go. After 6 inches even one bill hangs up. Obviously this is why the rifle shoots all over the paper as the barrel warms up. I was able to eventually get it to sight-in by waiting 5 minutes or so between shots. I figured the barrel will be cold if I'm shooting at a buck, so I think I'm OK for now. I'm really disappointed though in Allison & Carey.

What really needs to be done is a full free-float job, and a pillar bedding. Does anybody know of a smith in this area (Eugene/Salem) that has a good reputation with this kind of work, or smithing in general?

You might try Coat of Arms or Kevin's.

I'd imagine Kevin may be the better lead on this issue though.

Mind I haven't used either personally, but have been to both shops & chatted with both over other issues.

Kevin's is:

Kevin's Gunsmithing
1279 Candlewood Dr NE, Keizer, OR 97303
(503) 930-5160

I think he's open wed to sat or something, and likely pretty darned busy given hunting season.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top