Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Good gunsmith in portland

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by 22many, Sep 1, 2009.

1. 22many

22many PNW Well-Known Member

So I searched and not to much came up. I have a 1911 that has feeding and jamming issues. Anybody have a good experience with a good gunsmith in portland or vancouver that they would like to recommend?

2. wichaka

wichaka Wa State Well-Known Member

Am up the river from Portland, near Hood River...but 1911's are my specialty.

What make and model is it?

3. theflyguy

theflyguy Beaverton, Oregon Member

Thanks anyways but I took it in on Saturday for "hopefully" repaired once and for all.

Regards,

4. Logical1

Logical1 southeast portland, OR Member

where or who did you take it to?

5. theflyguy

Kurt over at H&K in Forest Grove recommended Shooter Service Center in St. Johns. There were a few recommendations and nearby.

6. Searcher451

Searcher451 Oregon Member

I know that you've located a 'smith. Thought this might be helpful, however: a site that will help you locate a gunsmith in your area, by Zip Code:

http://www.auctionarms.com/help/fflnetwork.cfm

Sometimes it can be a handy reference point.

7. theflyguy

Boy that is a GREAT site....thanks for sharing.

8. 22many

Gun is a west hurly thompson auto ordance 1911. Its a nice gun but just cant seem to get it to feed or eject. Ive tried tuning the extractor and that helped a little bit. Was thinking of trying different mags. If that doesnt work then off to a gunsmith. All in all, i want a gun not a paper weight.

9. wichaka

Depending on the position of the bullet when the feeding jam happens, will determine what the cause is.

What is the problem when it ejects? What exactly is happening, or going wrong?

As long as the gun is in spec., its a pretty easy fix as long as the parts that need to be worked on are of good quality.

10. 22many

Ive attached pics to make it easier. The first and second pic is the same just at different angles. Here's what happenin: On the first bullet in the mag (pic 1 and 2) jams when I pull the slide back. Almost like the ramp is catching it. I pull the mag out, then the jammed bullet falls out and the ramp looks fine. Just normal wear that I can see. So I put the mag back in and run through 3-4 bullets and everythings good until the 5th or sixth that is shown in pic 3. It does not want to eject. I have to pull the mag and pry the bullet out. Not something Im fond of with a live round.

Ive done some research and it seems the thompson auto ordanance 1911 had some problems with this. Usual fix is pull the extractor out and slightly bend it. Ive done that and its a little better but still has problems. So, Im thinking the mag is bad?

11. 22many

3rd pic

12. wichaka

Partially a mag problem, and the extractor needs to be prepped properly as well.

What mags are you using? How old are they?

13. 22many

Thats kinda what I was thinking. I figured Id try new mags and go from there. I just got the gun a couple of weeks ago so its the mag that came with the gun. Im assuming its the factory mag and I dont know the date of manufactor on the gun. Out of your experience with 1911's, are there any mags that are better than others?

14. wichaka

With today's 1911's being the toss of the dice as to specs and overall QC, its hard to place one mag over another anymore.

Some people will chime in with what works in theirs, but have found that may not be the case with another.

Any of the major brands would be a good start...Wilson, Metalform, Checkmate, McCormick, to name a few.

I have a few original Colt mags from WWII that I keep on hand for problem guns, as if they don't work with those, they wont work with anything else.

Hope you get it fixed soon, if not...gimme a hollar and you can come up and I'll walk ya thru the process.

15. 22many

Thanks for the help. I emailed checkmate on a couple of their mags so Im just waiting on the word back. Hopefully that will do the trick.

16. wichaka

It'll take getting the extractor hook properly prepped as well.

Here's an article to read

http://www.m1911.org/technic2.htm

Pay attention to the image at the bottom, on how to prep the hook.

If you can't find a gunsmith that knows how to do it properly, get it me and I'll fix ya up.