JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Well in my last thread, you guys helped me out with a good way to carry a gun in the waist of a suit. Lots of things were discussed. I'm not just waiting on my holster.... 6 week wait haha. But here is a new thread. I build custom cars. I'm currently doing my own and like I asked where is the best place to hide a gun, I'm thinking under the drivers seat concealed and away. On another note whats the best small gun to toss down there. All the diamondback size guns are out everywhere, but I think that's the size I'm looking for. I have a s&w 40c I conceal carry, I also have a 9mm shield. But I think that's going to be a hair big for a stow away under the seat gun. So any help would be great. .40 or 9 is what I'm looking for... For close close like this I think a .45 is overkill.

Its my opinion that one should not hide a gun under the seat of a car on anyplace else in your car. If you have a concealed carry license you are good to go but you expose your passengers who are not licensed to being in possession of a firearm illegally. If licensed carry the gun on your person.

Of course if you have a lockbox installed in your auto you can place your weapon in that device with no passenger exposure.

Its my opinion that one should not hide a gun under the seat of a car on anyplace else in your car. If you have a concealed carry license you are good to go but you expose your passengers who are not licensed to being in possession of a firearm illegally. If licensed carry the gun on your person.

Of course if you have a lockbox installed in your auto you can place your weapon in that device with no passenger exposure.

Why would your passengers be exposed? Makes no sense. If you have a CPL it's a non issue. Now if someone BORROWS your car and you forget to take it out, lock box or not, they are screwed.

Anyways. I wouldn't recommend hiding one in a car either.

Why would your passengers be exposed? Makes no sense. If you have a CPL it's a non issue. Now if someone BORROWS your car and you forget to take it out, lock box or not, they are screwed.

Anyways. I wouldn't recommend hiding one in a car either.

Nope your Concealed carry license will not protect another passenger that has access to your loaded weapon in the car. For example the glove box. Concealed Carry License means what it says, you have the gun concealed on your person.

Several in Oregon have been surprised by this little hook when the police charged the wifes and/or girfriends for having a concealed weapon illegally while riding in a car.

Well, I agree with what your saying, but no one else drives my car. My wife can't drive a stick, so its me driving only. It's a coupe so I don't have many people in the car with me either.

Nope your Concealed carry license will not protect another passenger that has access to your loaded weapon in the car. For example the glove box. Concealed Carry License means what it says, you have the gun concealed on your person.

Several in Oregon have been surprised by this little hook when the police charged the wifes and/or girfriends for having a concealed weapon illegally while riding in a car.

Is that so? Care to cite the so called case law you speak of? Or perhaps a statute?

There are times when you need to lock the gun up in your vehicle like before entering a courthouse or airport.

Since you build custom cars you'll have no problem building or installing something like this. It should be as big as possible w compartments so the flashlight doesn't roll around and the firearm and mags stay in front.

BST-42640-01_YJ.jpg

Summit Racing sells that one. Lock looks a bit week though and it should be welded in. It needs an electric lock that only works with the ignition on and a hidden switch and/or a keyed switch. Fumbling w keys blindly trying to open a lock under your butt when seconds count could be very bad.

I often hide a pistol in my car. I hide it on my person, or close at hand underneath something like a jacket or ballcap. When I get out, it goes with me. With more than a few cars and trucks (and motorcycles) stolen/burglarized in 40+ years of driving, I've never had a weapon stolen because I assumed I could safely leave one "hidden", "locked" or "secured" in an unattended vehicle.

A number of my friends have had cars stolen too. 3 that I know of had theirs gone for longer than the typical 24-hour joyride, dump, tow and notify routine. One car was a '64 Riviera, but the other 2 were common mutts. All 3 were recovered weeks later as stripped frames.

In my stupidest sounding Ashton Cutcher movie voice: "Duuude! Where's my pistol?"

I usually hide my pistol in my center console. When you open the lid you can pull out the entire pocket and has a pretty large area underneath to hide items. I put my pistol and extra mags in it. If not on m person

09 ford escape if you were wondering

I carry a Charter Arms .44 Spec. with CT laser in a somewhat hidden compartment in my van. I also have a locking gun case (steel with a cable around the seat mounts) that I sometimes use. The Honda Odysseys also have a locking compartment in the floor, but the lid is plastic so not much safety.

On edit: it's a stainless model so less worry about rust, plus, being a cheap gun I'm not too worried about it getting beat up unlike my Kimbers I carry.

Is that so? Care to cite the so called case law you speak of? Or perhaps a statute?

WA is different that OR in this respect. In WA there is an AG's opinion on it, came out in the late '70's as I remember.

On edit: actually it was March 13, 1987 and was sent to the Honorable Kent Pullen from Richard A Heath.

In summary
RCW 9.41.050 permits a person who possess a valid concealed weapon permit, and who is within a vehicle, to legally possess a loaded pistol within the vehicle which is not on his or her person.

Do you plan on leaving the gun in the car or are you looking to put a concealed weapon under the seat only when you are in the car?

If you are looking to put the weapon under the seat as a place to keep and leave it there unattended then I think that would be an absolutely horrible idea. Why do I think that? How easy is it to break into a car. Pretty easy to do with or with out a useless car alarm.

If you are looking to have a place to store the weapon while you are in the vehicle and need easy access then that is a different story. 9mm's are nice but personally I would lean more towards the .40 and that would strictly be a personal preference on my part. A little bit of velcro on a Uncle Mikes holster and you should be golden.

Just my two bits.

So I decide to buy a little motorcycle for the grand kid that lives in SoCal.
Find a nice bike and we go take a look. The guy is a tow truck driver. Works some not-so-nice neighborhoods of course.
Rolls up on this Impalla ,he knows is a dealers car,in a bad area. Hooks up and the guy comes out.Driver say he's just doin' his job.

Yea ,yea let me get summtin outta da car.
Hits a button and the radio slides out and the guy grabs a pound of coosh? Says the cops know he has it but can never find it.

The burden would be on the prosecution to prove that the passenger knew that the gun was in the car. The owner...who is legal to carry and have the gun hidden in the car...could simply state that he never told the passenger it was there.

The burden would be on the prosecution to prove that the passenger knew that the gun was in the car. The owner...who is legal to carry and have the gun hidden in the car...could simply state that he never told the passenger it was there.

Priorities: Should my hard earned money go toward new toys... or attorney fees?

Rather than mount such a defense (even successfully), I'd rather take 2 seconds to pre-plan/adjust my activities and avoid the courtroom altogether.

If you are intent on this, never just lay the gun under the seat.. it should be in a secured/mounted holster or other solid retention device. In an accident or such you will never be able to find it in time to use it. Use a holster!

I see you are in WA state so your laws may work differently but in Oregon this situation has happened several times and reported by many. Check with your local Sheriff or city Police officer to insure you are exempt from this rule or simply run the risk. Oregon law is pretty clear, look it up if you care. Concealed means on your person, otherwise no loaded weapons in the car where they can be easily accessed by a non-licensed person.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top