JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I just got hired for a job at Loomis here in Portland. What do you think would be good gun to carry? I was thinking a glock 23 or 19. My budget is up to 600.

You qualify for the Glock Blue Label program as an armed guard. You'll be just fine on your budget if you go with Glock. Id recommend looking a the 9mm family though, More rounds in your mag and mor elikely those youre working with, ar e also carrying the same magazines

Because you'll be open carrying I recommend a Glock 17. Will this be a personally-owned gun that Loomis reimburses you for, or a Loomis-owned gun that you can only carry on the job? If the former I would get a 19 or 23 so that you can more easily carry it off duty.

If we're suggesting options that you haven't had a chance to try, you might hit a range with rentals. Burn up a few dollars trying some out, finding something that you click with immediately can make dialing it in much faster.

Working for Loomis, once upon a time, I carried a Sig P226 in .40, in a Serpa holster. I wouldn't think there is a "best gun" just the gun that you know are are comfortable with.

I'm a huge M&P fan vs Glock but they're both great guns...with plenty of aftermarket support for holsters, lights, etc. Go the range and rent everything you can get your hands on. See which one you like best.

I thought this was an offer for a gun if you did something fancy to your G.Loomis fishing rod.

I'll support the notion that you should carry whatever everyone else is carrying, which is probably a Glock 19.

Given the choice, I'd go with a P229... but only because I have a bias towards metal and no experience with Glock.

As already mentioned, if you won't be concealed carrying this gun, I'd go with the G17/G22 myself (depending on your caliber preference). I'd like the extra barrel length, personally, over the G19. If concealed carry off hours is a possibility, then the G19/G23 would be a great way to go. And do take advantage of that blue label program.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top