JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi, I was curious what grouping would be good at 100 yards open sights standing off hand ? I got 2" to 3" groups and this is a hunting rifle not for target shooting . I also would like to add that it is a 338 win mag with a 20 in barrel and weighs 6 3/4 lbs.

No Africa trip in the future TIKKA T3 BOAR HUNTER.jpg I lost the ability to flinch after 4 rounds .

I'll tell you a little story (not that you ask but I think its a good story)

When I was a youngster I was out on our family range on the farm and had been shooting prone, rested rifle groups with my AR. I dont remember what the optic was but it had one (this was in the mid 90's when flat tops had just made the scene) I took in a big target that had 5 groups on it that where all around 2"-3", all shot at 100 yards. I was pretty proud of that so I took it in to my dad and showed him. He ask where I was shooting, I told him and we went out and got in his pickup, drove down to the range in the pasture and he told me to go put up a fresh target. He never even got out of his truck. He pulled out his Thompson Contender pistol out from under the seat that had a 4 X burris on it which was also chambered in .223 He leaned it out the window and rested it on the mirror and shot a 5 shot group that would have been an inch if not for one flyer. That was the defining moment in my idea of what kind of marksmen I was. My dad could out shoot me, prone rested and with a rifle with a pistol just thrown out the window of the truck.

Some people seem to be natural shooters, when others can practice till they are blue in the face and will still not get the same results.

Same for any other sport out there.

I was started at the age of 4 and by the time I was 7-8 (I think, may have been younger but time eludes me these days) my grandfather would hustle other shooters (gentlemens bets not hundreds;)) by pitting them against a kid. I got banana splits on the way home from the range every time I can remember.

I wish I could still shoot like that, now I'm limited to what I can see lol.

Hell, if I can hit a paper plate three times in a row at 100 yards shooting off hand I am happy. While most people would never admit that, I image that is the case with a lot of shooters. Which is why I almost always use a rest or shooting sticks when hunting.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top