JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Good for Remington & the Gov of Alabama!!

Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D-NY) Doesn't Want Them

Remington, one of the world's largest gun manufacturers, will on Monday join Gov. Robert Bentley (R) to announce they are bringing over 2,000 jobs to Alabama.

Most of the jobs will be relocated from their Ilion, NY plant, and the initial investment in Alabama will be $87 million.

Founded in 1816 in upstate New York, the company is one of the nation's oldest continuously operating manufacturers. Remington is the only U.S. manufacturer of both firearms and ammunition products and one of the largest domestic producers of shotguns and rifles.

Remington first began considering new locations after the New York legislature passed the Secure Ammunition and Firearms Enforcement (SAFE) Act in response to the tragic shootings in Newtown, Conn. It broadened the definition of so-called "assault weapons" to include a wide range of guns, including the Bushmaster, which was being manufactured at Remington's New York plant.

A month ago Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D-NY) said "extreme conservatives" who are "right-to-life, pro-assault-weapon, anti-gay," have "no place in the state of New York."

Gov. Bentley responded "In Alabama we strongly support and uphold our great U.S. Constitution on which our nation and our states were founded.

"The Constitution serves to protect individual freedoms. Among them are those guaranteed in the Second Amendment, which protects the right of the people to keep and bear Arms. We will protect the freedoms of individuals and welcome any one or any company to Alabama to discover as so many have, that we are a pro-business state filled with good, hardworking people.

"If Gov. Cuomo doesn't want hard working pro-life and pro-2nd Amendment people in his state, we will gladly take them here in Alabama."

Elections are a battle, Liberty is the war.

We may lose a battle here and there but we must Never lose the war.

Keep fighting the good fight.

Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D-NY) Doesn't Want Them

Remington, one of the world's largest gun manufacturers, will on Monday join Gov. Robert Bentley (R) to announce they are bringing over 2,000 jobs to Alabama.

Most of the jobs will be relocated from their Ilion, NY plant, and the initial investment in Alabama will be $87 million.

Founded in 1816 in upstate New York, the company is one of the nation's oldest continuously operating manufacturers. Remington is the only U.S. manufacturer of both firearms and ammunition products and one of the largest domestic producers of shotguns and rifles.

Remington first began considering new locations after the New York legislature passed the Secure Ammunition and Firearms Enforcement (SAFE) Act in response to the tragic shootings in Newtown, Conn. It broadened the definition of so-called "assault weapons" to include a wide range of guns, including the Bushmaster, which was being manufactured at Remington's New York plant.

A month ago Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D-NY) said "extreme conservatives" who are "right-to-life, pro-assault-weapon, anti-gay," have "no place in the state of New York."

Gov. Bentley responded "In Alabama we strongly support and uphold our great U.S. Constitution on which our nation and our states were founded.

"The Constitution serves to protect individual freedoms. Among them are those guaranteed in the Second Amendment, which protects the right of the people to keep and bear Arms. We will protect the freedoms of individuals and welcome any one or any company to Alabama to discover as so many have, that we are a pro-business state filled with good, hardworking people.

"If Gov. Cuomo doesn't want hard working pro-life and pro-2nd Amendment people in his state, we will gladly take them here in Alabama."

Elections are a battle, Liberty is the war.

We may lose a battle here and there but we must Never lose the war.

Keep fighting the good fight.

Good for them. Definitely time for all to bail from the great "intolerant" state of New York. Clearly you must drink the Cuomo KoolAid (no more than 12 ounces though) in order to live or work there. I can't believe so many people are allowing this to happen, willingly. New York has become an example of what it does NOT mean to be an American. Shame on those that have brought intolerance of conservative views to NY. I notice he doesn't have a problem with extreme left-wing liberals. Such a shame.

Actually I think it is a sad day. After almost 200 years, almost as old as the Country they are forced to moved. It is good that they are moving because of laws and statements made, but in reality it is a sad day.

Actually I think it is a sad day. After almost 200 years, almost as old as the Country they are forced to moved. It is good that they are moving because of laws and statements made, but in reality it is a sad day.

But they aren't moving. They are maintaining the operations in NY, they are simply expanding to Alabama.

NY State Senator James Seward said, " "I have been assured that any out of state expansion will not affect Remington's workforce in Ilion and the recent $20 million plant upgrade is proof of the company's commitment to New York" As reported on WBIX 950 and other news outlets.

Will it really mean in the end that Remington shutters their operations in NY, who knows. It certainly will not be any time soon.

It is a good move nonetheless.

Not sure sir.

The news posts on Remington's website quotes George Killitides as saying, "...we plan to create more than 2,000 jobs in Huntsville over the next decade." He goes on to say, "This additional capacity is essential to fulfill demand and introduce new products." Check out the post to ensure comments are in proper context.

http://www.remington.com/pages/news...utdoorCompanyAnnouncesExpansiontoAlabama.aspx

It doesn't say they are moving personnel from NY to AL.

Will they over time move employees from NY to AL? Maybe

But with all the movement of firearm manufacturers, since the recent legislative events, I have yet to see anyone move their entire operation anywhere. I still see some discussion about the possibility of Magpul leaving some operational folks in CO. Beretta did not close down Accokeek MD operations, they just announced expansion will happen elsewhere. Remington is just following along.

Would be nice to see a large firearm company pack up entirely and move to a more friendly state. The capital expenditure though for such a move would be ungodly I'm sure.

The big name makers are owned by investment companies. They care about the bottom line much more than they care about any political gun issues. They took advantage of the offers from other states for free land, tax breaks, and other incentives. The only thing they look at in moving is what effect it will have on the bottom line. If NY or CT would have made financial offers to match or beat the other states offers, they would not have moved. It is all about the $.

The big name makers are owned by investment companies. They care about the bottom line much more than they care about any political gun issues. They took advantage of the offers from other states for free land, tax breaks, and other incentives. The only thing they look at in moving is what effect it will have on the bottom line. If NY or CT would have made financial offers to match or beat the other states offers, they would not have moved. It is all about the $.

That may be true, in part, but remember, if laws are passed that further restrict gun ownership, it hurts their bottom line. So I would say that, financially, they have a huge interest in what happens with gun laws. I agree it may be based more on money than principle, but I don't think it can be said they don't care about those issues - it directly affects them.

Remington is part of the Freedom Group, which is owned by Cerebrus Capital Management. They also own DPMS, Bushmaster, Tapco, H&R, Marlin and some others. After Sandy Hook, they had made plans to sell their shares in the Freedom Group due to a potential lawsuit out of California regarding pension holdings in Cerebrus. That was in 2012, and guess what, they never sold. I wonder if the record profits seen in the last year or so have made them more pro-2A than they realized ;)

With that in mind, if staying in a place like NY is hard on their bottom line, such as putting restrictions on what they're allowed to manufacture, I think you could be fairly certain they'd pack up and move, even with tax incentives.

I agree with Etrain on this. Trying to take politics out of their bottom line is like trying to take pee out of a swimming pool. The manufacturers to some degree have to make some sort of showing because in the end that matters to their customer base. What they can build matters to their customer base. How many people are still harboring resentment towards Ruger and Smith & Wesson after their policy gaffs regarding gun control? The politics of it all matters because it drives the bottom line.

I will admit to, and I have seen others on this site do it as well, making firearm purchasing decisions based in part on the manufacturers political track record.

Let the butt bubbleguming queers have their third world country. Maybe if we are lucky they will attempt to succeed from the union then we can have our way with them.

Remington will do better by putting jobs back in the hands of those whom actually care about the foundational morals of the country.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top