JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey guys, so I'm out looking for reloading kits and a man at my local gun club recommended Lee Challenger Kit. Low and behold, they're near impossible to find. I'm only 19, but I also near broke all the time. I do realize that to even start up with reloading, it'll be a near $350-450 investment for everything needed. But I shoot a .270, and where I live, it's $1.20 a round and I figured I could make each round for $0.70. But I've been looking online on Cabelas and Brownells and it seems that they're just about backordered or out of stock of everything reloading. So I've resided to Gun Broker for the time being. But could anyone recommend any good reloading kits for a beginner? I'm not looking for the latest and greatest, I'm totally cool with take my time and working on each bullet at a time. Any help would be amazing. Thanks guys!

I started reloading with a RCBS Rock Chucker single stage press kit. I think Hornady Lock-n-Load will also do the job.

Reloading is not cheap. You will recover investment in the first year if you shoot well over 1000 rounds of .270. Plus, in the current environment, finding components will be very frustrating.

Reloading is a fun hobby that complements my target shooting, and now hunting, hobbies.

I started reloading with a RCBS Rock Chucker single stage press kit. I think Hornady Lock-n-Load will also do the job.

Reloading is not cheap. You will recover investment in the first year if you shoot well over 1000 rounds of .270. Plus, in the current environment, finding components will be very frustrating.

Reloading is a fun hobby that complements my target shooting, and now hunting, hobbies.

I've been able to find every component except for one; primers. They seem near impossible to find. The only ones I could find were 50 packs for pistols or 500 packs for a .50 cal. Powder was a little expensive at $26lb, but I have 200+ shells. The bullets themselves were pretty easy to find at $26 per hundred.

New brass and bullet should not be hard. Powders, maybe, if you are not picky. Primers, as said above.

I'm not too picky about powders. I just go to the range, so as long as it shoots and hits something, I'm happy. Brass and bullets are incredible easy for me to find, my gun club even sells them for a pretty decent price. Just gotta worry about the primers.

I've been using a single stage RCBS press for 20 years. My father used it for 30 years prior to that. The only thing that has ever needed replacement was the primer arm, because the spring broke. RCBS had one in stock when I contacted them. I don't have any experience with Lee, but you can't go wrong with RCBS. Whatever you decide on, just realize it should last a lifetime, so don't sweat the initial investment.

I too have been looking at presses and stuck between the rock chucker and the lnl kits. What's reeling my towards the lnl is the free bullets offered with the Hornady kit. I have done alot of online looking and got to conclusion that it's a preference between the two kits, both are good and will get the job . Im interested in hearing some of the local experience with the lnl kit. I'll end up pinging you guys for info once I get started and would be great to know who has a lnl.

I've used the Rock Chucker Supreme kit for five years. It's been working very well so far. Since it's closer to my garage than a place where I can shoot I don't really need much more capacity. I think I saw a set at Bi Mart here in Hillsboro yesterday, as well a few powders. Mostly shot-shell though. And no primers. Ok supply of bullets at least compared to powder and primers.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top