JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I took my son out last weekend to shoot for the first time and my Ruger 10/22 was a little too heavy for him. What advice do folks have for a good youth
.22 for an 8-yr old? I'd prefer NOT to get a single-shot.
thanks

I would recomend, and have, a Cricket from Keystone Firearms. I got mine at PDX gun show from Keiths, but have found it cheaper at Walmart.

http://www.crickett.com is their web site.

Depending on the model - stainless, etc. They can run from a little over $100 to about $200.

They come with either an integrated lock or no lock and you use a trigger lock. I bought one with out a lock and sent Keystone an e-mail. They said they would swap me a new stock with the integrated lock. All I had to do was ship the stock. No additional cost. They give great customer service at KeyStone (not Keiths). I did not ship it. They actually called me a few weeks later to see if I was sure about my decision and let me know the offer was still open. Great service.

The gun is just the right size for a child to learn on. It is a bolt gun and a great way to learn. You can add a scope to the rail if you want. However, it is a single shot and you did mention not wanting a single shot. But, I though I would at least mention it. We like it a lot.

Check out a great review by Nutnfancy at YouTube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-9MZ0EperE

you can also find an old remington single shot bolt action .22, probably for less than $100 if you look.
They are simple to clean and operate, there's no magazine to fool with, and you could cut the stock down to fit him exactly without chopping up an heirloom.

The little Henry 22 lever action. My mom has the same problem as your kid. She is a "little old lady" at 5'1" and being 76 and all, she has no real upper body strength. She likes it. Made in USA and not very expensive.

To you dudes saying he should lighten up his 10/22...
You're probably right bout that, but c'mon! This guys got a perfectly good excuse to buy another gun and you're trying to talk him out of it?!?!?!?:s0112:

Last Edited:
I have a Mossberg Plinkster for my boys. Very light and small. Shoots better than I expected. They have with a 10 shot mag in either bolt or semi auto.

You have the cricket .22 single shot bolt action... The Rossi three in one single shot break with .22, .243, and 20ga barrels with very nice high viz fiber optic sights. I think though I'd go with the ruger 10/22 and make the kid wait until he or she is old enough to hold it. The others will get to small all to quick. Remember how fast clothes become to small? I'd buy a handfull of the butler creek mags too before they cost to much to let a kid use.

Ruger sells a youth sized 10/22 called the CRR. It has a youth sized stock, and I believe a 16" barrel. This model would be lighter, and a better fit for him. Once your little guy gets older/outgrows the stock, you can replace it with a adult sized stock, and possibly replace the barrel with an aftermarket one. I did this for my nephew when he was about 8, and it fit him perfectly, and wasn't too heavy for him. Once he outgrew the youth sized stock, we bought him a nice thumbhole stock he thought looked neat. I had also purchased several other aftermarket parts so we could 'hot rod' his little 10/22. We made a day of it and upgraded his little peashooter, and now he has a really nice little 10/22. It was a great bonding experience for both of us.

Good luck with whatever rifle you choose to purchase. Any time shooting with your kids is time well spent.

YMMV

Stick with the 10-22 - You can accessorize them endlessly with everything from a carbon fiber barrel to a gazillion different stocks and It's a Ruger - He can use it all his life and he won't be small for long...................

The little Henry 22 lever action. My mom has the same problem as your kid. She is a "little old lady" at 5'1" and being 76 and all, she has no real upper body strength. She likes it. Made in USA and not very expensive.

To you dudes saying he should lighten up his 10/22...
You're probably right bout that, but c'mon! This guys got a perfectly good excuse to buy another gun and you're trying to talk him out of it?!?!?!?:s0112:

This! Gt one for my daughter and it's a great little gun. :s0155:

Counter to the advice of some others, I'd save the 10/22 or any semi-auto until Junior is older, and already a good shooter. IMHO kids learn better with a single shot or a bolt action. When you only have one shot, you learn to make that one shot count.
$.02

to counter the post directly above this one, a semi-auto can be loaded with just one round in the magazine if need be. You don't always have to load the magazine full capacity. With proper supervision, almost any 8 year old can learn to shoot safely with a semi-auto .22 rifle.

to counter the post directly above this one, a semi-auto can be loaded with just one round in the magazine if need be. You don't always have to load the magazine full capacity. With proper supervision, almost any 8 year old can learn to shoot safely with a semi-auto .22 rifle.

I tired putting a single bullet into the chamber on my Marlin 795 last week, and it was nearly impossible, but you mean put one in the mag right? Heck, a single shot bolt would be easier.

That 795 has been pretty good, cheap, shoots everything and it is very light, like 4 pounds, and I think they still have a $20 rebate.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top