JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I currently have a digiweigh scale. Its okay but definitely not for reloading. The grains mode only has a accuracy of 2 grains! I can't get it to read 25 g, only 24 or 26 and it was advertised as a reloading scale...

Anyone have any digital scales they like that are under a hundred bucks?

American Weigh Scale

Amazon.com: AmericanWeigh Silver Precision Digital Pocket Scale 1543 x 0.1 grain and 100 x 0.01 gram With 100 Gram Calibration Weight: Office Products

I double check with a RCBS beam scale and this thing gets the job done. For bench loads I use only the beam.

Might be better to check scale with a set of "Check Weights". Checking one scale against another, without a "standard" only proves that the scales read the SAME weight, not necessarily the RIGHT weight.

Might be better to check scale with a set of "Check Weights". Checking one scale against another, without a "standard" only proves that the scales read the SAME weight, not necessarily the RIGHT weight.

The AmericanWeight came with a 100g calibration weight, reads that ok I use it on my RCBS as well. I double check each time. Looking for a place that sells weights in grains right now.

The AmericanWeight came with a 100g calibration weight, reads that ok I use it on my RCBS as well. I double check each time. Looking for a place that sells weights in grains right now.

I bought a set of RCBS check weights at the old Sportsman's Warehouse in Burlington before they entered bankruptcy and were bought by the Canadians. Midway sells them among others. Anyone stocking RCBS in any quantity might as well.

I bought the Cabel's small digital scale. Love the size but didn't measure consistently in the 'low grain' range. Returned it to Midway and bought the Hornady. Love the larger display, calibration is much easier and simpler. When you 'zero' the scale it reports back with a beep, love that. Consistency appears good. FWIW

I bought the Cabel's small digital scale. Love the size but didn't measure consistently in the 'low grain' range. Returned it to Midway and bought the Hornady. Love the larger display, calibration is much easier and simpler. When you 'zero' the scale it reports back with a beep, love that. Consistency appears good. FWIW

I almost bought the hornady one since most of my equipment is hornady, but as soon as I saw a picture of it I knew it was a ODM product by AmericanWeigh since it looked just like the one I use for postage. So I bought the AmericanWeigh one for grain lol

Sorry to drag out an old thread, but it is very relevant to my question, and I figured it'd be best to bump this info up anyways, so newer reloaders such as myself don't have to make another thread.

I'm looking down the list of scales here, Find - MidwayUSA , and along with that cheapo from Amazon listed previously, I was wondering what the differences are between the $100 scales and these $30 scales? Accuracy and consistency? Is there a particular one that you would recommend?

The major difference in the "cheapo" scales and those suitable for reloading is their ability to read accurately amounts down to .1 grain.

I have a "cheapo" that cost me less than $30 from the local "Head Shop". It has a resolution down to +/- 1 grain. I use it for sorting my brass and wouldn't even consider it for reloading.

The lower the price the less the manufacturer has built into the scale. It's one thing to show a reading for a given weight on the "pan" but it's another for the scale to repeat the same reading, over and over. It's also important for a scale to have fine enough resolution to sense, and subsequently display, a small change in weight. Not a fun thing when you're "trickling" a charge, looking to add only .2 gr or so and the scale hasn't changed its reading even though you've added a significant amount.

Of all the scales listed on the Midway site, the Hornady @$85 fits right in the "sweet spot" of scales suitable for reloading yet not overly expensive. The Frankford Arsenal scale is also a good value although it will shut off frequently to save batteries which can be an annoyance on the bench. More suited to loading at the range.

Sorry to drag out an old thread, but it is very relevant to my question, and I figured it'd be best to bump this info up anyways, so newer reloaders such as myself don't have to make another thread.

I'm looking down the list of scales here, Find - MidwayUSA , and along with that cheapo from Amazon listed previously, I was wondering what the differences are between the $100 scales and these $30 scales? Accuracy and consistency? Is there a particular one that you would recommend?

I bought a $35 scale and when I'm really truing to get perfect for the fancy loads it just doesn't quite cut it.
It will show say 23.5 grains and I want 24 even.
So I trickle some in.24.3. Then I dump out a tiny bit,less than I put in. 23.2 or such.
Trickle a little back in.... 24.5

NO I didn't put that much in...... I haven't taken it shooting yet,but I will buy a much better scale

So how about those real fancy digital hopper/scales?

Helvetica ISD Scale & Dispenser VBSR0021 - Able Ammo

A friend said they are well worth the money.He bought one for $300 (don't recall the brand)

I bought a $35 scale and when I'm really truing to get perfect for the fancy loads it just doesn't quite cut it.
It will show say 23.5 grains and I want 24 even.
So I trickle some in.24.3. Then I dump out a tiny bit,less than I put in. 23.2 or such.
Trickle a little back in.... 24.5

NO I didn't put that much in...... I haven't taken it shooting yet,but I will buy a much better scale

So how about those real fancy digital hopper/scales?

Helvetica ISD Scale & Dispenser VBSR0021 - Able Ammo

A friend said they are well worth the money.He bought one for $300 (don't recall the brand)

This "scale" is really a "dispenser/scale" combo. If you're leaning towards one of these, the RCBS Chargemaster Combo has rated high among those who use them. It would be worth spending the $50 more for the RCBS than the on on this link.

That kind of sucks because if you read my thread in here,I'm kinda done with RCBS.
But someone else makes it for them right?

Oh and that pic was for a general idea,not necessarily that particular brand.
Are the better ones accurate enough for precision rounds? Consistent?

Thanks

I know this might be a little more then you are willing to pay but if you are rocking a single stage consider the RCBS 1500 chargemaster scale. If and when you are ready to upgrade to the autodispenser you will be halfway there.

The chargemaster has been the best purchase I have made to date with my reloading

That kind of sucks because if you read my thread in here,I'm kinda done with RCBS.
But someone else makes it for them right?

Oh and that pic was for a general idea,not necessarily that particular brand.
Are the better ones accurate enough for precision rounds? Consistent?

Thanks

I've used my RCBS for a couple years now and haven't had a single issue with consistency. I'll stop periodically and check the scale using check weights. Hasn't failed to be dead on each time.

The RCBS scale/dispenser is made "offshore" but I haven't seen any quality issues whatever. If one is interested in only "Made in USA", consider the PACT unit. They are a little slow on Customer Service but the product is great.

I have the Hornady GS-1500. Its a cheap Chinese scale with the Hornady name on it. Comes in a nice case. $30 or so. I've calibrated it against super high dollar scales at work and my beam scales and its accurate enough for me. Hope it stays that way.

horngs1500.jpg

I have the Hornady GS-1500. Its a cheap Chinese scale with the Hornady name on it. Comes in a nice case. $30 or so. I've calibrated it against super high dollar scales at work and my beam scales and its accurate enough for me. Hope it stays that way.

horngs1500.jpg

You want to be careful with this scale. It's only accurate to +/- .2 gr. That can mean almost a half grain spread from one load to another. May not be an issue if you're at the lower end of the charge weight but can be a big deal if you're pushing the envelope. Also, if accuracy of your ammo is paramount (as it is for me) this scale won't cut it.

Have shot a ton of of rounds using this scale. Its more accurate than my lee "perfect" powder measure which many people use without a scale. Also much more accurate than the Lee dippers I used to do. Granted, if I was pushing max loads or doing competitive match shooting, a $30 Chinese scale would not be the best choice.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top