JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Well, less than a year of use and my Pact scale will not hold zero for a full minute without outputting a bunch of ridiculous numbers. I don't trust it, and will not buy another one. I had a D-terminator that lasted 5 times as long, and I'm just guessing that Dillon buys this from someone in the scale business. So if anyone has some knowledge of a reputable scale manufacturer/seller, I would sure appreciate hearing about it.

I have been happy with the digitals I have bought over the last 30 some years.
I use both an RCBS and a Lyman and they both work great.
Did you talk to Pact about the problem? They supply (or used to supply) several other companies' models.
Since I have not had your problems, I can't say that one make is better than another.
My very first digital, an Ainsworth, still works after 30+ years.

I recommend the RCBS Chargemaster combo. They are a bit pricey but worth it in my opinion and mine has been holding a solid zero very well (I calibrate each time I start it; 30 second process.) I periodically proof it with a Dillon beam scale and always spot on.

I did not talk to Pact, I guess I just assumed that it would be like all the electronic stuff I have, just enough warranty to fix the thing if they shipped it broke. There is some sort of advice about the scale acting like it is due to static electricity, but I have wiped it down, set it on different types of surfaces, all to no avail. I will dig out the papers and give them a call tomorrow. Thanks for the responses. I do like the idea of the auto powder measure. One question I have is how long does it take to throw say a 60 grain charge of extruded powder?

I will head to the bench and get back to you shortly.

Edit: 60.0 grains of Varget 13.62, 12.44, 14.20 (roughly 13.4 seconds per drop).

The speed at which it dispenses can be adjusted through the programming. You can speed up the dispense rate and then within a certain number of grains you can have it slow down and then do a "final trickle" to meet your desired weight. The shorter the slow dispense (longer "fast" trickle) increases the odds of overshooting but there is a video related to this topic that provides the combo speed that works very well for me.

Link to Youtube video on the subject since my description may be a bit confusing -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-DRJCL0D3A

Very convenient. I have it set so that it will auto dispense after the pan is emptied and replaced. The scale dispenses, I'll use a funnel to drop into case and as I'm seating the bullet the scale starts pouring out the next amount. It is usually ready by the time I have grabbed the next piece of brass if not a couple seconds later. RCBS also usually has a $50 rebate on these. Well, at least they did when I was looking at them on midway, brownells and Sinclair a while back. Let me know if you have any other questions later on and I'd be glad to help.

While I don't have th RCBS scale I do us the Lyman brand auto dispense. It really is very nice to have the powder drop weighed and ready for your next round every time. When working up a new ladder test it is easy to punch in a new weight and get to the range to test them. I is pricey but I enjoy it.

I was going to go with a PACT unit when I started looking for a dispenser/scale combo, but after the attitude they gave me about my order I cancelled my order with them. A few others recommended the GemPro250 scale. I bought it and love it so far. Very accurate, holds zero....only con that I can think of....don't have a ceiling fan on when using the fan. The scale is VERY sensitive to air currents.

I have the Chargemaster and while it isnt cheap it sure is convenient. It's great when you have a powder that doesnt meter well like 700X. I run the Chargemaster and just dump by hand using a powder through die. It lets me use a powder that I have a bunch of that would otherwise be too erratic for what I'm loading

If you're looking for a stand alone digital scale either the RCBS 750 or the Dillon D-Terminator are good units.

I have a chargemaster that is my workhorse. For range loading or miscellaneous tasks I have a D-Terminator.

For a quicker drop for large loads I picked up an RCBS Powder measure stand with built in trickler and mounted my old Uniflow on it. I drop the charge into a "pan" on the Dillon scale that I made out of an aluminum can as the stand/dispenser combo tends to make the powder splash out of the regular pan.

I can drop 55-60 gr of extruded powder with the flick of the wrist then one or so turns of the tube and the load is precise. For loads over 45-50 grains it leaves the Chargemaster in the dirt, speed wise. Also makes for a nice Range setup.

If you want a super accurate digital scale then give a look at the Gempro 250. Just remember, the finer the resolution, the slower you get stable readings.

You should call PACT and talk to one of the CS folks or a tech. It is possible to bung up the software in any digital scale through static or a power spike etc... I had the same thing happen to mine and the PACT folks gave me a list of numbers and etc.. to input in order to reset the program. I did that and my scale has worked perfectly ever since--over 5 years .

PACT Inc. - Contact Us

I fail to understand why people do not contact the makers of products that have problems, but just go online and whine. All of the firearms related companies, PACT included, that I have contacted about problems with currently made items have been eager to help and usually at little or no expense to me--in or out of warranty.
The one exception in 40 + years has been the new owners of Browning firearms.

You should call PACT and talk to one of the CS folks or a tech.

When was the last time you contacted PACT with an issue involving one of their scales or chronographs? (or have you ever?)

I have no qualms calling the manufacturer and have done so with PACT. Not once, not twice, not even three times. I have one of their high end chronographs with IR sensors and printer. I've had two problems with it since I bought it three years ago. Each time I called for "tips". Only two pieces of advice. Use a new battery or send it to us. After sending the unit in (both times) I again called after a month, after two months, and the last time after three months, before they returned the unit.

In short, while it doesn't involve a digital scale directly but a company making one, PACT has an earned reputation for providing lousy customer service, both on the phone, and "in the shop".

Sometimes it's a good thing for people to "go online and whine" as it gives other potential customers a heads up.

In the case of my chronograph I ignored the online whining. My bad. The freaking thing has spent more time in a UPS truck, on a shelf at PACT, or under the gaze of their "Tech" (who you can't talk to because they won't let you), than it has on the range doing what I paid good money for it to do.

One conclusion I've come to, if I was to go buy a Digital Scale, THEIR product wouldn't be on even my "long list".

i measure and weigh every single rifle round by hand for consistancy and believe it or not i use a hornady gs 1500 and compare the weight to my rcbs 505 and when first started the gs 1500 is about .2 grains off compared to my 505. after 10-15 min of use my digital is exactly the same as my 505. i was skeptical when i bought the gs1500 but the proof is in the groups i shoot. just my .02. good luck

after 10-15 min of use my digital is exactly the same as my 505.

I quit turning my chargemaster and dillon digital scale off several years ago. Only time they are off is when the power company has an outage. They don't draw enough power to worry about and I prefer to have them all warmed up and ready when I load. I just check calibration with test weights before starting a session, I don't bother with calibration unless I've moved them or they've experienced a power shut-down. Between leaving them on and regular wipe-downs with a dryer sheet they've been stable as can be.

I've been reading about interference with fluorescent lights with this particular scale, and I have to admit that when I wired my reloading room I only ran one circuit out there, and the lights are on it. I think I will put some LED lighting in there before I give up on this scale. I did not have the problem before I moved out of the garage. I always leave it on as well, and did on the Dillon. I'm wondering also if the scales with the metal plate on the load cells are less susceptible to static vs. the plastic pan holder this PACT has. Anyone?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top