Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Good deal? Or raw deal?

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by JumpWing, Nov 12, 2008.

1. JumpWing

JumpWing NK WA Member

So I have an opportunity to buy the following...

STAG Arms

Upper - $485 (retail $525)
    5.56 Nato Chamber
    Forged and Mil Spec.
    Sights: MI Rear Flip/Front Post
    16" Chrome Lined 1/9 Twist
    View it here: http://www.stagarms.com/product_info.php?cPath=14_24&products_id=241

Lower - $270 (retail $290)
    Tactical Lower Half
    6-position stock
    View it here: http://www.stagarms.com/product_info.php?cPath=18_32&products_id=235

Six to eight weeks for delivery.
    TOTAL cost including shipping and FFL transfer fees: ~$800

I intend for this to be a general purpose rifle, not a sniper's wet dream. This will be my first scary black rifle, but it may be my only black rifle for quite a while so reliability and durability are paramount (damn thing needs to go BANG when I pull the trigger). I know that STAG has a good reputation but, seeing as how this will be my first rifle since becoming a civilian in 1991, I'd like some input from the braintrust here.

I know there are always deals to be found if you wait long enough and look hard enough, but I don't have the time or building/shopping expertise to do that. So, is this a good deal or a backside slammer?

Thanks for your input! :thumbup:

2. friskydingo

friskydingo Oregon, NorCal, and Panama. Yes. All three New Member

WIN. get it now with about 10 30 round mags and a pile o' ammo.

3. wichaka

wichaka Wa State Well-Known Member

I woild jump on that deal..........

4. JumpWing

JumpWing NK WA Member

You guys are awesome. Thanks for the prompt replies!

5. PhysicsGuy

PhysicsGuy Corvallis, OR Resident Science Nut

The only way that you could go cheaper ATM is to buy a lower and get a del-ton completion kit.

6. JumpWing

JumpWing NK WA Member

Understood. I know there are folks who can put together something nice for a small price because they know what to look for and where to find it cheap. I'm willing to pay a reasonable sum for the convenience of avoiding that, as long as it's reasonable and not a full-blown financial raping.

7. PhysicsGuy

Yeah that price is still below any quality complete AR, plus all you have to do is put the two pieces together and insert two pins. The benefit to the del-ton kit is that it comes with everything but the stripped lower, but requires far more assembly. Its just a trade off to whichever works best for you.

But either way I'd jump on whatever you find to your liking, since people are buying AR stuff up like crazy. And let us all know how it works out. Good luck!

8. NWLIEN

NWLIEN ORCHARDS/VANCOUVER, WA Member

Yeah, jump on it...............stag makes quality stuff.........the freakin' deer's head logo notwithstanding, but if that's all i've got to complain about, it's not too bad.............
    --carlos

9. JumpWing

JumpWing NK WA Member

I sent off the deposit. I should have a brand new evil black rifle before our new fuhrer takes office.

10. Joe Link

Joe Link Portland, OR Well-Known Member Staff Member Lifetime Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Great to hear buddy! I'm happy you got it.

11. PhysicsGuy

Did they say anything about availability?

12. JumpWing

JumpWing NK WA Member

6-8 weeks for delivery, but the FFL ordering for me says it might be in a little sooner.

13. Joe Link

Joe Link Portland, OR Well-Known Member Staff Member Lifetime Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

My LMT lower took the same amount of time :(

14. Sun195

Sun195 Pugetropolis, WA Well-Known Member

Look at it this way: if you ever take it out hunting, you have something to remind you of what you're hunting for. It's like a field identification guide right there on the side of your rifle! :laugh: