Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Good Coffee Deal?

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by DeadEyeMcGoo, Jan 2, 2014.

1. DeadEyeMcGoo

DeadEyeMcGoo Seattle Active Member

I only have one addiction and if the SHTF I'll be going through some serious withdrawals.

I just spoke to this guy ( **STARBUCKS COFFEE - WHOLESALE PRICES!** ) who has 5 lb bags of coffee for sale. I bought a couple of bags and now have enough coffee on hand for a few months. I don't roast my own so this seems like a good buy. Are any of you aware of a better deal on good roast coffee for next time?

2. DeadEyeMcGoo

DeadEyeMcGoo Seattle Active Member

Follow up: I have roasted my own and it was a giant mess. I bought green beans from a CL ad and tried them in the oven. Big mistake! I set off every smoke detector in the house. The second time I used a cast iron fry pan over the bbq. I had a lot of trouble guessing when they were done and ended up wasting a bunch of coffee. I'll stick to buying roast beans and having good coffee in the mornings for now.

3. Swedish K

Swedish K SW Washington Moderator Staff Member

I've heard of people roasting beans in the air style popcorn poppers and getting decent results

4. Texfisher33

Texfisher33 Tri-Cities, WA Active Member

The popcorn poppers work well. About a half a cup at a time. Goodwill for the poppers for a few bucks if you don't have one.

5. simon99

simon99 Central Oregon Well-Known Member

Ugh....you guys come on!

Roasting coffee is an art form. Just forget it. Go to a coffee roaster or a shop that does its own roasting. You can buy roasted coffee in bulk. I can't live without coffee.....

6. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

It's the caffeine you can't live without.
    Vacuum pack a couple large boxes worth of Lipton tea bags and you'll get the buzz without all of the hassle.

Burt Gummer and (deleted member) like this.
  7. Guilty

Guilty Salem, Oregon Active Member

If you plan to store roasted coffee beans for SHTF, you need to keep it in the freezer or it will go rancid after a period of time. How Long? I don't know, but it will eventually go rancid.
    Green coffee beans are preferred for long term storage because you don't need to store them in the freezer, but you do need to learn how to roast coffee beans if you want to use the green beans to make coffee.

Blitzkrieg and (deleted member) like this.
  8. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

I've had the fine grind dark roasted Supremo bean Kirkland brand from Costco in the large cans last perfectly for many years (stored in the basement).. never had one go bad. It's actually very good coffee.. ready to go. I drink a lot of coffee.

9. simon99

simon99 Central Oregon Well-Known Member

Its actually better to just divide up the larger backs and vacu-loc them into smaller ones. Putting roasted beans into the freezer dries it out and takes all the flavor out.

Taku and (deleted member) like this.
  10. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

Talk to a coffee roaster and ask for green beans, they store far longer. you can roast them in a cast iron frying pan. Be aware the smell will travel a long ways, tho. We also stock up short term at costco with their mylar packs

Just go to Amazon and search for books on coffee roasting. I have several

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s... books&sprefix=coffee+roasting,stripbooks,375

I'm actually raising coffee plants right now and will have an entire row of them in the hothouse of our new home. Horticulture is an art as well!

Oh, and also vanilla bean plants to brew with them!

11. Dunerunner

Dunerunner You'll Never Know Well-Known Member

Then vacuum package it in a Food Saver, or similar, bag to keep air and moisture out. It will last three times as long! or come SHTF, you can trade ammo or guns to me for it! ;)

I roast and have a small drum roaster.... 1lb at a time!

12. Classic

Classic Federal Way WA Well-Known Member

I drink this every morning... Straight espresso into my coffee cup.

Supreme by Bustelo Espresso
    https://www.javacabana.com/Catalog.cfm?c=1&sc=2
    Supreme by Bustelo Espresso
    A finer grind and a lighter roast makes this blend ideal for your espresso machine at home or the office. If you have a coffee grinder, you will want to try Supreme by Bustelo beans in our 1 lb. bag. Supreme by Bustelo is also sold in a 10 oz. brick or can.

The 10oz bricks are vacuum packed:thumbup:

13. Sun195

Sun195 Pugetropolis, WA Well-Known Member

At the risk of speaking heresy, has anyone considered #10 cans of columbian coffee from AlpineAire's Gourmet Reserve?

Basically, instant coffee, but it lasts for 10+ years in the can. Desperate (SHTF) times may call for desperate measures. This wouldn't be my first choice, but it may be good enough if needed. Plus, you won't have to fool around with coffee roasting while the zombie marauders roam your neighborhood. "Hi there - I see you're here to steal my generator. Can I get you a warm cup of coffee before you leave? Fresh roasted...."

(my normal drink is Ethiopian Sidamo made in a french press)

skydiver and (deleted member) like this.
  14. skydiver

skydiver Sandy,OR Well-Known Member

I attached a coffee maker on my AR-15 so I can brew and shoot at the same time. It uses the heat from the barrel to brew. Decided to add a few other things. :nuts:

funny ar15.jpg

funny ar15.jpg

GOG, orygun, slingshot1943 and 3 others like this.
  15. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

Sweet bean shooter.

16. Father of four

Father of four Portland, Oregon Well-Known Member

Good Coffee Deal?

Any store/coffee other the Starbucks.

17. slingshot1943

slingshot1943 salem or Well-Known Member

I try to keep at least 10 of The Kirkland dark 3# cans stored, probably only a 8 month supply.

Certaindeaf and (deleted member) like this.
  18. U201491

U201491 Well-Known Member

Costco

19. stratbastard

stratbastard eugene oregon Active Member

Yeah, I jump on that Bi-Mart deal often. The cans are vacuum packed and last a looongggg time... I have been opening cans bought in 2009 and they are just fine and dandy. I think coffee will be another great barter item.