JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Non political thread to chew on for a bit....

I've been carrying very comfortably in a N82 (Nate Squared) tactical holster for about 3-4 years now. I've been very happy with it, but have considered switching to a holster with 2 belt clips versus the single belt clip on the N82 holster.

The thing I like the most about the N82 holster is that I have a relatively soft, flexible material backing the holster itself - so it easily bends/moves with me and doesn't pinch me if I bend in certain directions. I've had a couple of leather IWB holsters in the past that were pretty darn uncomfortable and stiff - that's a no go for me.

So, any particular recommendations you'd like to share? I've not shopped for an IWB holster in a few years, so I'd like to hear what you think. And please, be specific with regard to why you like them, remembering that comfort is a big concern, as is positive retention and easy draw of the gun.

Thanks!

Not mine, but this is basically what I have:

hqdefault.jpg

I use a Nates also.

But I have a hybrid I like as well. Mine is an Alien Gear.

I also own a CrossBreed. What I like better about the AG is that the kydex is attached with screws rather than rivets. Which means if I were to do something like add a light / laser I could replace the kydex rather than the entire holster. When I changed carry pistols, I changed from the CB to the AG.

What I prefer about my Nates, it is more secure. You twist to remove the gun, rather than just pull.

What I prefer about the hybrid is that the weight is spread out a bit more.

Except that Alien Gear doesn't make any shells to accommodate a weapon light.

That said, I carry with my Alien Gear IWB at least 4 days a week--at least when I'm at work. Outside of work I'll go OWB which, again, is Alien Gear.

I also have a full kydex IWB rig that I use for quick use, sudden dog walks, etc, if I don't already have my Alien Gear on and don't anticipate carrying for a long period of time (On Your 6).

Alien Gear customer service has been impeccable, too. Somehow my order ended up delived 2000 miles away. I pointed out the tracking report and they immediately shipped replacements. Two months later, the originals showed up (with more postage due) and they didn't even care for me to ship them back, so I have backups BNIB

etrain,

so far my favorite is a Crossbreed supertuck. Mine is getting old now about 3.5 years old, and so I am looking into replacing it at some point but it still has some life in it. What I like best about it is its leather back is comfortable and flexible and easily conforms to my body. The Kydex shell is minimal which helps with that. Lots of use out of this holster.

Ive tried others, second fav is a Hidden Hybred holster for a different gun and its now a couple years old and still like new. Its a lot like the Crossbreed but the leather backing is much thicker so noticeably heavier but it conforms and rides well. The HHH has belt loop slots to make it double as an OWB but I found this does not work at all for me its not a solid mount that way... if they left the slots out it would narrow up the profile a little.

My least favorite is Alien Gear (my first attempt at the Crossbreed Supertuck replacement, I hear good reviews and thought Id give them a try.... ) I ordered the one with the synthetic backing. Overall, I hate this holster. The synthetic backing is neoprene with a nylon fabric layer against the skin and does not slip into my waistband and rotate in position smooth like the leather. The plastic shell (note: not kydex) is huge to accommodate the bolt pattern for interchangeability, non-flexible this does not conform and actually creates a new printing point if dressed lightly.

worth noting is a new company I have not tried yet but am tempted, called Precision Holsters. Leather backing and minimal kydex.... but what Im noticing about their two options is the dual belt clips are located closer together than the competition. For their "PH-Ultra Carry" model what Im suspecting is this might sacrifice maybe a tiny bit of stability in the 3-4 oclock position but add the versatility of being able to carry in the appendix position on the more compact guns. The Ultra Carry model is advertised as such. I also like the looks of their larger "delux" version but it is better suited for fuller size guns...

So right now Im debating between getting a new Crossbreed (when the time comes...) or trying the Precision Holster for a compact gun.

etrain,

so far my favorite is a Crossbreed supertuck. Mine is getting old now about 3.5 years old, and so I am looking into replacing it at some point but it still has some life in it. What I like best about it is its leather back is comfortable and flexible and easily conforms to my body. The Kydex shell is minimal which helps with that. Lots of use out of this holster.

Ive tried others, second fav is a Hidden Hybred holster for a different gun and its now a couple years old and still like new. Its a lot like the Crossbreed but the leather backing is much thicker so noticeably heavier but it conforms and rides well. The HHH has belt loop slots to make it double as an OWB but I found this does not work at all for me its not a solid mount that way... if they left the slots out it would narrow up the profile a little.

My least favorite is Alien Gear (my first attempt at the Crossbreed Supertuck replacement, I hear good reviews and thought Id give them a try.... ) I ordered the one with the synthetic backing. Overall, I hate this holster. The synthetic backing is neoprene with a nylon fabric layer against the skin and does not slip into my waistband and rotate in position smooth like the leather. The plastic shell (note: not kydex) is huge to accommodate the bolt pattern for interchangeability, non-flexible this does not conform and actually creates a new printing point if dressed lightly.

worth noting is a new company I have not tried yet but am tempted, called Precision Holsters. Leather backing and minimal kydex.... but what Im noticing about their two options is the dual belt clips are located closer together than the competition. For their "PH-Ultra Carry" model what Im suspecting is this might sacrifice maybe a tiny bit of stability in the 3-4 oclock position but add the versatility of being able to carry in the appendix position on the more compact guns. The Ultra Carry model is advertised as such. I also like the looks of their larger "delux" version but it is better suited for fuller size guns...

So right now Im debating between getting a new Crossbreed (when the time comes...) or trying the Precision Holster for a compact gun.

I've looked at Crossbreed before - definitely one I may consider, though they seem to me, just by looking online, like they may be a bit stiff. If that's not the case, I may consider them again.

As for the Alien Gear, the price is nice, but I've had one, and I was similarly not very impressed with them - especially in the gun retention department - seemed awfully loose to me, and I definitely don't want that to be an issue.

I've looked at Crossbreed before - definitely one I may consider, though they seem to me, just by looking online, like they may be a bit stiff. If that's not the case, I may consider them again.

As for the Alien Gear, the price is nice, but I've had one, and I was similarly not very impressed with them - especially in the gun retention department - seemed awfully loose to me, and I definitely don't want that to be an issue.

I've been super happy with my custom IWB from @ORYGUNHolsterCompany.

Ryan is very talented and built me a very high quality holster with a kydex outside that has a positive grab to it with a leather backing that makes carrying a 2.5lb 1911 super comfortable with extras to make it adjustable for different angles for different clothes.

Seriously, there is nothing like getting a holster made just for you and your gun... not all that much either cash wise.

IMG_1012.JPG

I've been super happy with my custom IWB from @ORYGUNHolsterCompany.

Ryan is very talented and built me a very high quality holster with a kydex outside that has a positive grab to it with a leather backing that makes carrying a 2.5lb 1911 super comfortable with extras to make it adjustable for different angles for different clothes.

Seriously, there is nothing like getting a holster made just for you and your gun... not all that much either cash wise.

View attachment 322001

I'll have to look into that as well - thanks :)

heres a few pics, again heavily used for over 3 years...
Selection_001_20161108_21:48:07.jpg

yes, I did trim a bit since I forgot to order the "combat cut" (for a full grip).
Selection_001_20161108_21:47:52.jpg
Selection_001_20161108_21:47:31.jpg

the top of the leather is starting to take a set protruding and thats an indicator I should get a new one cause it could interfere with re-holstering one handed. Retention is still good and Crossbreed recommends you can adjust it with a heat gun if you feel adventurous enough. I felt the stock retention was a bit light on this one so I did adjust it and it came out fine.

Anyways, the pics should show how flexible the leather is the middle pic is set to myself without flexing it.

I've had good luck with my AG holsters. I have one for my XDm 9mm and one for my Sig Ultra Compact 1911. I moved to them from the VersaCarry because of the car I had and not being comfortable in any position with the VersaCarry.

I had to trim the Kydex a bit for the XDm to allow for the red-dot I have on it, but I can carry the full size with no problems.

What characteristics are important to you?

It is helpful for us to have this info but I'm really trying to help you lock down your requirements so that you can better evaluate the various holsters as the come up...

Do you want leather or kydex...or do you want to stick with the hybrid design?

Do you need to be able to take it on and off easily throughout the day without having to thread your belt each time or are you more of a, "put it on in the morning and take it off at night," type person.

Does it need to be adjustable for ride height and/or CANT?

Does it need to be adjustable for tension?

Do you need a full sweat guard?

Does it need to be tuckable?

You already mentioned you would like two clips or similar

So if you're looking for another hybrid, Crossbreed and CompTac are definitely top tier in this category. Also checkout Stealth Gear. They're somewhat new and make hybrid style holsters but they use a breathable peforated synthetic backing instead of leather. I've heard lots of good things about them but don't have any direct experience.

For all leather holsters, Milt Sparks is usually the reference standard but there are plenty of other high quality leather holster makers out there too. Mitch Rosen and Andrews are two other really good ones.

For Kydex JM Custom makes a phenomenal product. There's also CompTac, G Code and I've heard good things about Black Point Tactical but no direct experience with them.

What characteristics are important to you?

It is helpful for us to have this info but I'm really trying to help you lock down your requirements so that you can better evaluate the various holsters as the come up...

Do you want leather or kydex...or do you want to stick with the hybrid design? I prefer hybrid - kydex for the gun, leather or something else soft/pliable against my body.

Do you need to be able to take it on and off easily throughout the day without having to thread your belt each time or are you more of a, "put it on in the morning and take it off at night," type person. I put it on in the morning, take it off at night.

Does it need to be adjustable for ride height and/or CANT? Not a requirement, but nice to have the option.

Does it need to be adjustable for tension? Depends on how the gun is retained, if by friction, adjustability may be a requirement.

Do you need a full sweat guard? I do prefer this, yes.

Does it need to be tuckable? Not required, but nice if available.

You already mentioned you would like two clips or similar

So if you're looking for another hybrid, Crossbreed and CompTac are definitely top tier in this category. Also checkout Stealth Gear. They're somewhat new and make hybrid style holsters but they use a breathable peforated synthetic backing instead of leather. I've heard lots of good things about them but don't have any direct experience.

For all leather holsters, Milt Sparks is usually the reference standard but there are plenty of other high quality leather holster makers out there too. Mitch Rosen and Andrews are two other really good ones.

For Kydex JM Custom makes a phenomenal product. There's also CompTac, G Code and I've heard good things about Black Point Tactical but no direct experience with them.

See my responses above in RED

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads