JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
<broken link removed>

Not attracting attention to yourself or your home buys you time. It suggests to those looking for food, water and anything else they can find that you have nothing, which encourages them to move on and look for richer pickings.

Was I ever naive years ago. When power would be out I would fire up my LED lighting, even external lighting to tease the neighbors. I even had a disco ball running - lol - what an arse!!!

No more of that though.

I have said it over and over again. Camo is NOT the cool colors the military wears. Camo IS blending in to the environment you plan on being in. In some cases that may be "camo" but other times it might be a suit and tie, or shorts and T-shirt, ect.

Our neighborhood lost power earlier this year. We're pretty well prepared, so I fired up various LED lanterns and my Aladdin oil lamp in the front room. From outside our house, it looked like we had power based on the amount of light coming through the windows. I actually saw a neighbor drive by in their car and stop just to look up at us. Another neighbor texted me to ask if we had power back.

It was fine for that limited event, but probably a good lesson not to flaunt it if things went longer.

So you want to just sit around the house, biding time until you run out of food or the government shows up, or the looters realize they looted every house but yours?

Play to your strengths... if you're a dormouse then this will probably be your go-to method. The way I see it, you have two options, organize your neighbors, or be organized by your neighbors. I would rather my us vs them paradigm include 50 other people, than just me.

Many ways to hide, burn/soot stain your porch and door looking like inside the front was aflame. Leave a trail of dropped loot in a path to the street. Things like that.

If we make it that long...(not Thread Drift)

Shortly after the re-election of President Obama, the agency announced new radical environmental regulations that threaten to effect people who live off the grid. The EPA's new environmental regulations reduce the amount of airborne fine-particle matter from 15 micrograms to 12 micrograms per cubic meter of air.

This means that most wood burning stoves would now fall into a class that would deemed unacceptable under these new draconian measures. The EPA has even launched a nifty new website called burn wise to try to sway public opinion.
On their site, while trying to convince people to get rid of their old stoves and buy the new EPA-certified stoves, they state that these older stove must be scraped and cannot be resold.

From the EPA Site:
The local air pollution agency says I can't sell my old wood stove to help pay for an EPA-certified wood stove. Why is that?
Replacing an older stove with a cleaner-burning stove will not improve air quality if the older stove is reused somewhere else. For this reason, wood stove change out programs usually require older stoves to be destroyed and recycled as scrap metal, or rendered inoperable.

Let's hope this doesn't fall under the jurisdiction of the newly created Department of Homeland Security Environmental Justice

The fundamental point here is you only get to "hide" for so long. Just ask Saddam Hussein, and Osama bin Ladin, yea, they were able to hide in some pretty austere conditions, but eventually someone got wise and dragged them out of the hole. You can say what you want, but these were powerful men, while much of that power crumbled in the face of the US military, they were still able to stay alive despite several million people using a lot of time, resources and satellite time to find them. Thing is, if you have a "bravo" site, the logistical challenge of moving all your stuff while it may be risky and difficult, it will largely go unnoticed when everyone else is packing up and beating feet.

Looking burned out, unlived in, might not encourage determined looters, but it will certainly encourage squatters, who once they find someone is home, and that someone has stuff might become looters.

Also, it has been discussed in depth before, you don't want to make a house the place of your last stand. You want to keep people out of the whole damn area.

The fundamental point here is you only get to "hide" for so long. Just ask Saddam Hussein, and Osama bin Ladin, yea, they were able to hide in some pretty austere conditions, but eventually someone got wise and dragged them out of the hole. You can say what you want, but these were powerful men, while much of that power crumbled in the face of the US military, they were still able to stay alive despite several million people using a lot of time, resources and satellite time to find them. Thing is, if you have a "bravo" site, the logistical challenge of moving all your stuff while it may be risky and difficult, it will largely go unnoticed when everyone else is packing up and beating feet.

Looking burned out, unlived in, might not encourage determined looters, but it will certainly encourage squatters, who once they find someone is home, and that someone has stuff might become looters.

Also, it has been discussed in depth before, you don't want to make a house the place of your last stand. You want to keep people out of the whole damn area.

Yep! Must defend from outside! Area defense. My neighbors and I have an understanding!

Surviving Martial Law | The Daily Sheeple

So how do you prepare to survive such a situation?

Well, firstly, from this day forward say nothing about your views, your opinions or your preps to anyone in your area unless they are a part of your prepping group. You will be amazed how fast people will spill their guts to the authorities in order to ingratiate themselves and maybe get an easier life as a result.

Even though the military are in control, you should not assume that others, those previously in authority, no longer have any influence. The chances are they do. No body that represents any form of authority, past or present, should be trusted.

Even if your preps are kept at home they should be hidden well enough to go undetected by the first and even second sweep of your home that the military will conduct. Every home varies in its construction so there are no hard and fast rules but think carefully and act accordingly. Consider caches underground on your property, preferably in areas where disturbed ground is not suspicious. In urban and suburban environments under flower beds would be a viable position. If you have acreage then be careful to keep the &#8216;lay of the land' as differences will be noticed. All goods should be stored with avoiding sniffer dogs and metal detectors in mind.

When the military does drop by, hide your contempt. This may go against the grain, but the survival of you and your family is your number one priority. Ask a few questions but not too many. You need to be the grey man, totally unmemorable. Nothing you say or do, nothing about the way you look should make you memorable. Keep a cheap weapon and a few rounds to handover for when you are asked to hand over your weapons. You should have &#8216;bills of sale' for all other weapons...get creative, computers are wonderful things.

Be a smart prepper: Starting today, pay cash for arms, ammunition and bulk food buys. Plastic is traceable and don't think they won't have information on all those who are armed to the teeth and buying Mountain House like it's going out of fashion...they will.

Make a point in getting to know your environment, I mean really getting to know it. Know where the CCTV cameras are and routes you can use to avoid them. Take note of which neighbors are left behind &#8211; are any of them known preppers? Are there any of them that are like you, who are &#8216;playing the game' in order to avoid detention? Make a mental note of the times your neighbours cook their rations. Using stored food to make meals will be less noticeable when others are producing cooking smells as well.

Make sure you turn up for any food and/or water hand outs. Not doing so would mark you out from the rest of the people left behind. You should also turn up at any meeting when instructed to do so. Again, nothing should mark you out as being different.

Once the area has &#8216;stabilized' and no one there is considered a threat the military will move on. There is nowhere near enough of them to keep martial law in all areas at once. With Chuck Hagel announcing today that the military is facing deep cuts in staffing levels they will be even thinner on the ground than previously expected.

When they have moved on it's time to make the decision as to whether you stay or go. At this point, unless you have clear intelligence on exactly where the military are, you may find it better to survive in place than to move your family though possibly occupied areas. Once the initial shock has worn off, a resistance movement will be forming in some areas. Stay away from those that are disorganized and have no definite goals or aims. You would do better alone than with a disorganized and ill equipped bunch of renegades.

Consider alternative means of communications. Ham radio, CB, whatever you can get. Keep a list of frequencies and contacts apart from your equipment. If you have no contacts so be it, you will have to &#8216;cruise' the airwaves in short bursts to establish contact in the future.

- See more at: http://www.thedailysheeple.com/surviving-martial-law_022014#sthash.z9Apochv.dpuf

Surviving Martial Law | The Daily Sheeple

So how do you prepare to survive such a situation?

Well, firstly, from this day forward say nothing about your views, your opinions or your preps to anyone in your area unless they are a part of your prepping group. You will be amazed how fast people will spill their guts to the authorities in order to ingratiate themselves and maybe get an easier life as a result.

Even though the military are in control, you should not assume that others, those previously in authority, no longer have any influence. The chances are they do. No body that represents any form of authority, past or present, should be trusted.

Even if your preps are kept at home they should be hidden well enough to go undetected by the first and even second sweep of your home that the military will conduct. Every home varies in its construction so there are no hard and fast rules but think carefully and act accordingly. Consider caches underground on your property, preferably in areas where disturbed ground is not suspicious. In urban and suburban environments under flower beds would be a viable position. If you have acreage then be careful to keep the &#8216;lay of the land' as differences will be noticed. All goods should be stored with avoiding sniffer dogs and metal detectors in mind.

When the military does drop by, hide your contempt. This may go against the grain, but the survival of you and your family is your number one priority. Ask a few questions but not too many. You need to be the grey man, totally unmemorable. Nothing you say or do, nothing about the way you look should make you memorable. Keep a cheap weapon and a few rounds to handover for when you are asked to hand over your weapons. You should have &#8216;bills of sale' for all other weapons...get creative, computers are wonderful things.

Be a smart prepper: Starting today, pay cash for arms, ammunition and bulk food buys. Plastic is traceable and don't think they won't have information on all those who are armed to the teeth and buying Mountain House like it's going out of fashion...they will.

Make a point in getting to know your environment, I mean really getting to know it. Know where the CCTV cameras are and routes you can use to avoid them. Take note of which neighbors are left behind &#8211; are any of them known preppers? Are there any of them that are like you, who are &#8216;playing the game' in order to avoid detention? Make a mental note of the times your neighbours cook their rations. Using stored food to make meals will be less noticeable when others are producing cooking smells as well.

Make sure you turn up for any food and/or water hand outs. Not doing so would mark you out from the rest of the people left behind. You should also turn up at any meeting when instructed to do so. Again, nothing should mark you out as being different.

Once the area has &#8216;stabilized' and no one there is considered a threat the military will move on. There is nowhere near enough of them to keep martial law in all areas at once. With Chuck Hagel announcing today that the military is facing deep cuts in staffing levels they will be even thinner on the ground than previously expected.

When they have moved on it's time to make the decision as to whether you stay or go. At this point, unless you have clear intelligence on exactly where the military are, you may find it better to survive in place than to move your family though possibly occupied areas. Once the initial shock has worn off, a resistance movement will be forming in some areas. Stay away from those that are disorganized and have no definite goals or aims. You would do better alone than with a disorganized and ill equipped bunch of renegades.

Consider alternative means of communications. Ham radio, CB, whatever you can get. Keep a list of frequencies and contacts apart from your equipment. If you have no contacts so be it, you will have to &#8216;cruise' the airwaves in short bursts to establish contact in the future.

- See more at: Surviving Martial Law | The Daily Sheeple

Who writes this? Stashing all your junk at your house when there's any military force out and about is a mistake. First, second, third fourth tossing, if you have something they will find it. probably in the first tossing. Ever worked with dogs? Ever worked with hungry dogs? The only thing more inventive about finding something to eat than a hungry person is a hungry dog.

Also, what military? The military that's going to have all the time in the world to go through all your stuff looking for something to eat? Looking for hidden gas stashes to put diesel in their humvees? That's a losing proposition, and you and I both know that. Armies march on their stomach, this is something Sherman did on his march to the sea... he wouldn't lay siege to anything that wasn't important, strong points would be bypassed, instead he laid a path of destruction through the south, until he was forced to lay siege to a seaport, where he could have more supplies shipped in, restock, ship out the wounded, get more bullets horses, carts and then start marching north again. Going on a forage mission is great, you might get something if no one is expecting you, how many times do you think you can come back to the same place and find nothing, or if you do find something, are you going to keep coming back until you find nothing? As it turns out, finding nothing means you got nothing and all you did was waste your time.

If/When a hard crash comes, there isn't going to be a military, all of those scared kids are going to be worried about mom and pop, and maybe their girl back home, maybe they will move with other military elements back to their home areas, looting if necessary to keep the march going.

What worries me more are the police... they are already in your area, they are already familiar with it, and come SHTF, they arn't going anywhere. Which means they will have the time and motivation to take your house apart looking for things they can use, because they didn't have to drive out from yakima to do a grocery run.

DailySheeple, and the like are little more than post apocalyptic fan-fic, it shows little more than the most glancing of analysis and may seem believable if you are able to suspend your disbelief enough to make "attack of the killer tomatoes" a serious film about the dangers of north america's least understood fruit (most people think it's a vegetable).

In reality, there is only one thing some "occupying force" needs to find at your house to conclude there's something more going on... the giant bucket full of turds, starving people don't crap very much, and no one is going to think it important to hide the turdpile. I'm so disappointed.

...What worries me more are the police... they are already in your area, they are already familiar with it, and come SHTF, they arn't going anywhere. Which means they will have the time and motivation to take your house apart looking for things they can use...

I don't think the local police are going to band together in a SHTF scenario. Some will desert, some will quit to help their own, some will try to help people but others will become part of the looting problem. I don't really see them as a serious threat however as citizens are too well armed. Any rampaging police will meet their maker soon enough. It's like Russian roulette, pick a house out of the block, you may get lucky and find some supplies or you may get killed by the occupants. I think the biggest threat to most folks will be disease and lack of medical care over a longer time.

Amproducts - I partially agree. All articles, all news, is to be crow-picked for ideas and viewpoints.

It is true that overall most things found are erroneous and ill advised, but nonetheless there are gold nuggets of advice here and there. 40% of the information in the article is great.

Trailboss - yes - starvation being by far the #1 threat to most vs 'police/military' at your door. Millions will simply starve in the first weeks, sadly.

If SHTF tomorrow, the clock would start ticking toward starvation/dehydration for the 95%+ with 2-3 days. The knock on the door threat would be many days or weeks away. By that time a large/majority percentage of the population will have already expired. Corpses won't be opening doors and they certainly won't object to marauding police.

I chuckle over the 'they are going to round people up to go to Fema Camps' theorists. The truth is, that will not be necessary at all. Throngs will be trying to get into them, and shelters, or anywhere they will be given water and a meal. Or just the promise thereof. Mostly just a promise to save collecting corpses at homes.

I am available for parties and functions to cheer up the crowd (upcoming party!!! Yahoo!!!!) No depressing reality while I am enjoying my beer thank you very much (the American Way!)

We live in a large agricultural area where the farms could support the local population if they chose to go out to them. While I'm not in favor of entitlement, it would prevent ultimate chaos. There is one caveat, this region is very conservative, most have guns, many have gardens. Of everywhere I have ever lived, my town would not be as effected as most places.

The best place to be in a SHTF situation would be at least two tank fulls of gas from a large metropolitan area.
Just you and the locals to keep you company.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top