Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Good .40 self defense round?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by BearAspen, Sep 24, 2010.

1. BearAspen

BearAspen Snohomish County New Member

Looking for some advice fellas. I finally a getting another .40 handgun after my last one was stollen years ago and it is comming in Monday. I want to "break it in" with a couple hundred rounds and while doing so test some home deffense ammo to find something reliable that I like. It's been a while since I have shopped for .40 ammo, anything you guys can recomend? ****, while im at it what do you reccomend for cheap reliable target ammo as well.

I appriciate the help, BA

2. Oakley1wa

Oakley1wa Beaverton, Oregon, United States Member

For defense, I use Winchester Ranger SXT's. They're pretty awesome

For plinking ammo, I use just about anything except Wolf & CCR (I think it is). I've been seeing some pretty good deals on Federal, and I know at Wal Mart (I'm not a supporter) they usually have really good deals on .40

3. EOD

EOD E. WA Member

For self defense I would recommend Winchester Ranger SXT. We carry this at work and are totally happy with it. We had the SXT and the switched to hydra-shocks and now we are back to the SXT.

For practice ammo, 99% of the stuff out there is good. I would just shoot whatever you can find the cheapest.

4. BearAspen

BearAspen Snohomish County New Member

Sounds good, I will buy a few boxes of the STX and see what I think. Yeah, I have been picking up that people are staying away from the hydra-shocks lately which is one of the reasons I though I would ask on a thread. What is up this the hydra's? I have just heard that people are moving away from them but not the reason....

5. M.Link

M.Link Guest

I really liked the Buffallo Bore for my Glock 23. All the Specs looked really good on it compared to everything else I looked at. I've heard good things about Hornady TAP also.

6. Kimber Custom

Kimber Custom Vancouver, WA Bronze Vendor Bronze Vendor

Availability is my reason for changing. I've had some .45 hydrashock on order for months and it still hasn't come in (9/8 was the last 'due date' I got). I've only seen two boxes of it at the gun show and they are $70 a box.

7. I too carry the Ranger SXT .40 in my Glock 23. This ammo is great.

8. FIDO6

FIDO6 Benton County Member

RBCD has some pretty impressive terminal ballistics from the tests I've seen and heard about. In addition, a .357 mag into a water mellon at 15 yards did not penetrate through to the cardboard 6" behind. Their .40 is specs are:
    40 S&W 77 gr. TFSP 2100 fps / 754 ft lbs
    I guess it isn't 40 slow and weak anymore.

9. nick425

nick425 Eastside of Lake Washington Member

Check out Winchester PDX1 180's