Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Good 22lr revolver $500 and under?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by clearconscience, Feb 17, 2013.

1. clearconscience

clearconscience Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

I'm looking for a good 22lr revolver just for plinking/camp gun.
    I like the modern looking thinker frame revolvers ruger gp100 or s&w 617 i think it is, but they are a little higher than I willing to spend on a 22lr.

Just looking for ideas. I don't mind the look of the taurus revolver, just never been sold on their quality.

2. Bill Siegle

Bill Siegle Oregon Active Member

Take a look at the Ruger LCR22. I love mine! Super lightweight and easy to shoot.

3. jluck

jluck Really,Really, Close to Newport Oregon 97365 Voted #1 Member

I have a Taurus nine shot 22 revolver, I love it. It has been flawless and very accurate little gun.

4. ZA_Survivalist

ZA_Survivalist Oregon AK's all day.

Hey brother don't knock taurus too much now.
    They make excellent firearms, however I've yet to play with their .22s.
    But everything else they make has definitely held up.

Now if budget was your angle, I'd suggest a Rough Ryder Revolver, for an inexpensive .22 plinker that also comes with a .22wmr cylinder its a pretty good deal. Makes a fantastic truck or backpack pistol, along with a hipoint.

5. clearconscience

clearconscience Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Great thanks for the feed back maybe i'll reserve my opinion of the taurus until I buy one and for the price you can't lose too much.
    I'll check out the rough rider too.

6. gastronome

gastronome Aloha Active Member 2015 Volunteer

Pick up a Heritage Rough Rider. Under $200 and mine shoots amazing well.

accessbob and (deleted member) like this.
  7. hermannr

hermannr Okanogan Highlands Well-Known Member

High Standard made a lot of very nice .22lr and .22mag revolvers...Ones like the longhorn came with a mag cylinder and a lr cylinder. Find used on gunbroker. High Standard revolvers can be sa, da, or sa/da depending on model. Alloy or steel frame, again depending on model. All the High Standards I've owned, or shot, are good shooters.

8. Pandaz3

Pandaz3 Cornelius, Oregon NRA Lifetime Member Platinum Supporter Gold Supporter Bronze Supporter

I own a Ruger LCR in .22LR and it was confiscated by the wife who now claims it is hers. Very nice, but Double Action only. I had my pockets empty when I spied a Taurus double action convertible, maybe next time, I own a Taurus 605 (.357 Snubnose) and it shoot well and has good quality.

I have a friend with a Heritage and he is happy with his.

9. sneakboxer

sneakboxer NW OR Active Member

I cut my revolver teeth with a old Single-Six as a kid and shot the heck out of it. Since your looking for a double action, Ruger makes a 8-shot SP101 in 22lr. But finding one at your price point might take a while. Ruger's are like tanks you might want to look for a used one.
    Best of luck in your search,

10. Misterbill

Misterbill Yakima County, Washington New Member

If you can find one, look for an old Smith and Wesson k22 or model 17. they can be had for just a tad over your price range, but fair warning, they are rare at less than $700. I got another one about three years ago for $485 in good condition. And with the panic right now, I'd hold off on a .22 revolver. Things are going to calm down before too long, anfd it won't be too long at all before all the scared people figure out that .22 target pistols aren't even on Sarah Brady's radar.

11. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Taurus model 992 with a 4 or 6.5" barrel convertable 22LR / 22Mag Blued

Buds on line was selling them on Gun Broker for $441.00 last week.

12. ogre

ogre Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

There are many revolvers for sale right now on Gunbroker that fit your requirements, even if you use the "Buy Now" feature.

13. CascadeSam

CascadeSam Portland Oregon Active Member

The GP100 is not made in .22LR, however, the relatively lighter weight Ruger SP101 revolver is made in .22LR. Still, if it is a factor the SP101 trigger pull will be a heavier pull since it is a revolver. An exception to the heavier revolver trigger pull is the Ruger LCR snubbie in .22LR which is available in DA only. I cannot speak of personal experience shooting or owning the SP101 or LCR in .22LR. I do have experience with the SP101 and LCR chambered in .357/.38 and those are fine guns. If you are open to a quality single action revolver, Ruger makes a convertible "New Model Single-Six" .22LR/.22 Magnum which has a solid reputation. Besides that one, Ruger makes several other fine single action .22LR revolvers.