JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Just shoot it. Ammo from 1997 could hardly be considered 'old'. A friend of mine has several boxes of 60's era Sears 12 ga # 8 low base shells and other than being hotter than anything new they shoot just fine.

dang allright I always thought with rimfire, being an unsealed cartridge that they have limited shelf life. I got a little bunch of ammo from a relative that they didn't want.

They do have a limited shelf life of around 40 years. A couple of years ago I was at dad and when shooting with the 22 Short revolver. 90% of the rounds failed to fire even though they were keep clean and dry. The boxes had a waxy feel to them though.
I think the stuff was the original cartridges that dad got from my uncle when he bouth he gun back in 65 or 66.

One warning about old ammo, if it doesn't go BANG right away give it a minute. Keep your rifle shouldered and down range. I use to shoot war surplus back in the 80's for 6.5 carcarno that had slow/ bad primers. You would drop the hammer and could count to 3 before you got the bang.

dang allright I always thought with rimfire, being an unsealed cartridge that they have limited shelf life.
As long as it is stored under proper conditions it will last for many decades. I store mine inside my house. Still have a couple bricks of CCI Mini Mags from a case I bought in the 80s that shoot really well.

On the other hand I have a buddy that stores his 22 ammo year around outside in a shed. I lost count of how many times that guy has had ammo issues with under 10 year ammo.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top