JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
I just replaced a broken Goldenrod that I bought years ago with a new one--while doing so I noted the lifetime warranty claim on the new packaging, so of course I called the manufacturer, Battenfield Technology to see about getting the old broken one replaced & they told me they can't give me a new one because get this, the Goldenrod is only warranted for the 'lifetime of the product'-- WTF is that supposed to mean? Well the clerk says he can get me a coupon for money off one of their products. Thanks for nothing, jerk--fact is this is the last liar product I ever intend to buy from Battenfield Technology :eek:

Lifetime Warranty is for claims against defects in materials and workmanship with no time limit to the claim, it does not mean you can buy the product once and have it replaced whenever it breaks forever.

It can be a little vague though, because how it breaks can be difficult to prove. In your example, the golden rod can be broken because it has exceeded its service lifespan or an electrical surge might have fried it. For it to be covered under their lifetime warranty, it'll have to proven it broke because they didn't put it together correctly at the factory. An example of this would be if you've bought the golden rod 2 years ago but never used it, now when you plug it in its not working. This will usually be covered, but if you've been using it for years, it'll be hard to prove.

In any case, I never put too much faith in warranty. :)

I have been running one golden rod for over thirty years non stop except power outages and several others for anywhere between 5 -10 years without fail. I don't think I will
let your info sour me on them.

It broke because it leaked white stuff all over-- I actually thought it was the black colored economy version until I bought a new one & pulled the old leaky one out of my safe. That was when I noticed the new one proudly declaring that it was covered by a 'lifetime warranty', up until then I just figured it was disposable and I wasn't bothered a bit by the old one having stopped working.

The manufacturer shoulda just shut up about this product being warranted for life, if they had no intention of warrantying it cause now I have found new purpose in bashing their lying product all over the internet

I have been running one golden rod for over thirty years non stop except power outages and several others for anywhere between 5 -10 years without fail. I don't think I will
let your info sour me on them.

The old one is from 8-10 years ago & I don't mind if I can't sour you about the lie the manufacturer is passing off, I'm sure someone will take heed.

As I said above, if the new packaging hadn't proclaimed it to be 'lifetime warrantied', we wouldn't even be having this discussion...

You won't find too many devices, if any, that have electrical components and have a true lifetime warranty. Rcbs is a great example. Most people would agree their warranty and customer service is top notch but when it comes to a rcbs chargemaster that sheets the bed after a few years you are on your own. Ask me how I know. I still am a huge rcbs fan.

Years ago a fellow was telling me about this awful insurance policy that he had spent $500 on and how they wouldn't pay when he got sick. He said he called them up and they said they wouldn't even consider it. He was livid. After several questions, it came out that:

• He insured himself and his wife for 10 years at $25 each per year.
  • It was an accident policy - farmers buy these a lot - it doesn't cover illness.
  • "Consider" is an insurance term that means they will or won't cover you.

Of course he was still livid and told the next person in the bar the same exact story.

This thread sort of reminds me of that guy.

So continue to use their very effective product to keep your guns rust free. But mother bubblegum them all the while on the net? Sounds about right.

So continue to use their very effective product to keep your guns rust free. But mother bubblegum them all the while on the net? Sounds about right.

As I have said already I didn't even know this thing had a warranty but I don't like a manufacturer telling me something has a lifetime warranty and then lying to me about it

Last Edited:
Lifetime is usually defined as ~7years, it means effective life of the product. Been through it with furniture, Weber grills, Craftsman tools (at the end), etc.

I understand your pain, I went through all this too when I found out.

Now I know the "lifetime warranty" thing is usually nonsense. However, it makes you appreciate how cool it is when someone "does it right" like Springfield Armory.

-Dean

Lifetime is usually defined as ~7years, it means effective life of the product. Been through it with furniture, Weber grills, Craftsman tools (at the end), etc.

I understand your pain, I went through all this too when I found out.

Now I know the "lifetime warranty" thing is usually nonsense. However, it makes you appreciate how cool it is when someone "does it right" like Springfield Armory.

-Dean
The lifetime warrantee on my SnapOn tools seems to be for my lifetime. Same for Crafstman and at least one boot maker. Apparently it means whatever the manufacturer wants it to mean.

yeah craftsman. Sears gave me crap when I took a broken 40 year old ratchet around 15 years ago. Might have just been the people in the store that day. Anyhoo I'm glad they got it together! Snap on is one of those that does it right.

The fine print is a variable thing apparently. Our word is our bond.....until we start losing a little money, then we're going to "change the definition" of what our word means.

-Dean

Man, I'm relatively spoiled by Hi Point :s0112::s0112::s0112::s0112: they actually will repair or replace your Hi Point firearm, no questions asked! Someone got one that was in a house fire and managed to get Hi Point to basically rebuild it from receiver and barrel up :s0001:

And then there's Jansport. They claim Lifetime Warranty, but.. looking at their list of what they won't cover.. basically if a pack's fabric coatings have finally disintegrated, fabric faded, or frays, buckles break, or becomes rusty, then its considered to have gotten to the "end of product life" :rolleyes: And is not covered.

Edit. There's "full lifetime warranty", and then there's "limited lifetime warranty" and finally, there's either "limited warranty" or "do you want to buy our product ""protection"" warranty" (thats good for like 90 days to 2 years :rolleyes: )

"Lifetime" warranty is a term often tossed around and seldom means what many seem to think it does. Anyone who is my age should remember the "lifetime" car battery. For years a few places sold these. It really meant that for the lifetime of the car under the same owner. It was of course a selling point. As people began to keep cars longer everyone finally had to stop as they were getting too many back.
Some stores have done this and had to finally stop as it was being abused.
When I buy something I look at how long it lasted, vs, how much did I pay. If some "cheap" item lasted years? Hell I call it I got my money out of it and buy another.
I use those Evadry deals in my safes. One of them seemed to stop working a while back. I had bought it so long ago I could not even remember when. I ordered another of the same brand and tossed the old one. Figuring I got more than my money's worth.

Status

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top